Happy Halloween!

Arch-Mage Solberg

T minus 1 hour and 35 minutes until it is officially Halloween. I've got a pretty good costume lined up. I'm taking my neices and nephews out Trick or Treating tomorrow. Why let them have all of the fun dressing up? I'll take some pics of me wearing the costume and post them on my Facebook page.

Post #622 cool

Originally Posted By: Trenton the dragon lord
My middle school doesn't let us wear our costumes to school >.> I am going as Jason. The one with the hockey mask and the machete.

you should go as the argonaut instead

also i just got visited by trick-or-treaters. why are there trick-or-treaters in australia. since when is that a thing here. i gave them a box of mediocre chocolates that i bought in a fit of madness last year

@Nikki: Do kids go trick-or-treating over there? I thought it was strictly a North American custom.

And it's pretty much dying out over here, in favour of heavily supervised Hallowe'en parties. For some reason, parents nowadays are uneasy about the idea of letting their little kids run wild through the streets at night.

There are still some areas where trick-or-treating is common, and I've seen kids from other neighborhoods show up and spend all their time there because it's a Halloweeny neighborhood. Others are empty. Even when the kids are running around, though, there's usually adult supervision. Not a bad thing, unless you miss the trick part.

—Alorael, who has neither costume nor candy. It's traditional to walk up to the door, you see, and he has a different greeting prepared for the perambulatory.

I use to go house to house when I was a kid. In the area that I lived the mall also set up a huge store to store trick-o-treating in the safety of the mall itself. And then many other religious groups would have trunk-o-treating with their members in the churches parking lot. And the hospital provided free x-ray scanning of all candy that was brought to them that night.

Oh, and it was normal to have to wear snow clothes over your Halloween costume.

Originally Posted By: VCH
A box of chocolates, Lilith? That's a tad extreme; usually one chocolate will do.

it was a small box and i was glad to have them taken off my hands

also i am unfamiliar with Halloween etiquette because as previously established it is not a thing here

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
@Nikki: Do kids go trick-or-treating over there? I thought it was strictly a North American custom.

I guess, like a lot of stuff, it's slowly leaked (leaking?) it's way across. In my area, the stores make a big deal of it, and a fair amount of kids go around. I'm much more familiar with it as fancy-dress parties than trick-or-treating, though.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: VCH
A box of chocolates, Lilith? That's a tad extreme; usually one chocolate will do.

it was a small box and i was glad to have them taken off my hands

also i am unfamiliar with Halloween etiquette because as previously established it is not a thing here

Etiquette says give them as small a piece of candy as possible because you may see 200-300 kids if you live in a popular area. Of course, like you said, Australia is too mature for Halloween.