One major thing I don't like about Avadon.

AethirWeb

Okay so if I count all the main quests you do including the ones you get each character back from their vengeances. There are......14 things to do. That prison thing in Avadon, four in The Kva, four in Khermeria and Five in Beraza. this isn't much mobility is it? I know maybe some of you like hop in portals like Avernum. But I kind of like the long journey thing, where in order to reach say "The capital of Ghytreil Kingdom" you have to cross this forest, mountains, marshes, even more forest, and this pear to reach King Aweius or something. Not just like "Walk into this portal".

I'd love to see more of Lynaeus like I don't even know what Dharam, Svorgald, Tawon, and The Corruption are like. The pages aren't entirely accurate. And it might be sort of like a quest chain, but how come we only journey.in like...three areas? Could see just like, All of the pact lands? I don't even understand why Avadon has portals to only two Pact Lands and two Farlands. they have portals to Tawon but not Dharam and Holklanda? Can we at least go outside of Avadon, see the Wyldrym? I guess I have to wait for Avadon II to see the corruption =(

There are two answers, really.

First, in-game, is a huge spoiler:

Click to reveal..
You only see those areas because those are the areas where Miranda thinks you can be swayed from following Redbeard. Maybe in Dharam, Avadon is kicking total ass, or (more likely), they're still getting trounced but they are the unambiguous good guys? Also, at one point I'm sure Miranda says that a portal has been calibrated to take you to those places, so perhaps whilst yes, there are only three portals, they can be altered to go to many different places?

Secondly, we only see those places because those are the only places Jeff had time to make? Development for Avadon was longer than he usually takes to create a game, because the engine was so much different than his previous ones. More time making the engine equals less time writing plots and quests. Expect to see more of Lynaeus next time, because the amount of time Jeff spends tweaking the engine will be vastly reduced, meaning more time for actual game.

This frustrated me too, a little bit, but then I realized it's also possible that the other areas simply weren't having problems they couldn't deal with themselves, or they were having issues and Redbeard simply couldn't be bothered to send Hands to deal with them. Or their problems were brought to the attention of other Hearts, who sent other Hands to deal with them.

A lot of things are possible, really, but I have to agree with the OP that I hope we'll be able to explore a lot more in the next installment. I'd love to visit the Tawon Empire, the Wyldrylm, or even see more of The Kva, Holklanda and Kellemderiel.

Originally Posted By: BlueDraconis
Originally Posted By: Nikki.
There are two answers, really.

You should really put a spoiler tag on your first point. Most people that bought the game from steam haven't got to that point yet.

Quite right - I'm used to these games coming out for the PC (which I use), waiting a good few months, and then being able to talk about them openly. With Avadon coming out on the iPad and now STEAM, that period of using spoiler tags has grown. I've gone back and edited them in.

(And in fairness, it's polite to use spoiler tags anyway, for people finding the game in a years' time, who do not want to have everything spoiled.)

But really, who else thinks it's slightly odd that the portals are stuck on Khemeria, the Wretch land Kva border and Beraza Woods. If you can,t actually set the portal location, wouldn't it be logical to have a portal to each pact land so when the time comes they could hop into say Dharam and defend it.

I doubt anyone would actually put a pylon in Tawon, you'd think they notice by now.

Oh, well, logic.

If we're going to insist on logic, we'll be forced to wonder why

Click to reveal..
Carsta'arl and his crew didn't just hunker down in their castle and pour boiling oil on the impotent group of Hands banging on the gates.

And for that matter, why important gates throughout the Pact seem to magically open when certain characters bite it. Makes no sense at all. Logically.

Boiling oil is more useful on armies than it is on small, elite groups. Too easy to see it coming and avoid it. And one has to imagine siege warfare is a bit different in a world where magi (and people with mage-supplied devices) can function as small, human-sized siege engines. Though it might well have been cooler for him to close up the gate of his fortress, only to have Miranda (sensibly) anticipate this, and send you in with a big Nicodemus-bomb...which one can only hope blows up after one flings it at the gate, rather than before.

Boiling oil, spears, arrows, whatever. They could just as easily have sat there and laughed. In any case, it seems like the last thing they'd do,

Click to reveal..
knowing that you've come there to kill them all, is just let you in. What are castle walls for?

They also know that Avadon's resources are stretched thin, and that Hands are getting killed all over the Pact. Ergo, your party may be unusually competent, but they're not invulnerable, and Avadon's victory is not inevitable.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
Boiling oil is more useful on armies than it is on small, elite groups. Too easy to see it coming and avoid it.

The Nephilim who steal the Mayor of Formello's necklace in Avernum 1 use boiling oil to great effect against the small elite sent to retrieve it.

I agree in principle that oil burns all equally. On the other pedipalp, it's important to note the difference between a group of greenhorn adventurers just thrown into the underworld, on a mission from a town's mayor, and a group of seasoned elites on a mission from...well, Avadon. The Avernum PCs had to play by the Nephilim's rules at that point in the game because they had very little in the way of resources. If they'd come along with, say, the Castle's backing and a handy collection of war trophies from the hoard (or the cold, dead hands) of Sss-Thss, things might have been different.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
... most likely dead since no sign of him at Avadon after returning there...

Click to reveal..
He actually is a lot smarter than he lets on. He has been working with Miranda the whole time, and escaped before she did into the portal to Tawon. If they had been sure that you were with them earlier, he would have given you the really powerful items that he made, rather than the little jokes he played on you.

Ok, bit too harsh, however the Archmage of Avadon is someone you count on when you play the game for the first time. You feel scared, need to rely on someone and you say "Wow! He's giving me a powerful wand!"... I am probably slow minded but it took me to use the second Nicodemus gift to understand the awful truth. That's something I won't easily forget! :-)))

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
Harsh! Come on, he's not that bad.

And if Avadon 2 is set within a short time of A:TBF I'd say there's a 100% chance that he'll be back.

Few years will have passed between Avadon 1 and 2 so Cordelia etc have moved elsewhere (or dead depending what'll be canon).

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Nicodemus gave that nifty sword to the Holklandian leader that you fight in Shima's quest. You're a new Hand and get the leftovers.

I think that sword was special order not something N. would have done otherwise.