Which game for me ?

icicle

Several years ago I had great fun finishing Avernum 3 and so I thought the other day I would try Avernum 4.

Now I am up to the first shade and have lost all interest. I can only say that I have trouble believing the same person made this game. I feel almost traumitised after investing my time assuming it would be great. I guess different people like the different things about these games but the fact the specific things I liked are gone,

big world to explore

non linearity in visiting towns

danger

This game is more linear than the trans-siberian railway but anyway enough whining and to my question.

As someone who enjoyed Avernum 3 but was "burned" by Avernum 4 are there any other spiderweb games I would like ?

(willpower to try demos is destroyed)

I would try Avernum 1 & 2. They use the same engine and play pretty similar to A3, although A2 is slightly linear in the beginning before opening up.

I enjoyed the first trilogy, but never got into the second trilogy mostly for engine reason. Still, A4 is probably the fan consensus for worst Avernum game, so don't let that turn you off of A5 and A6 necessarily.

A1 is the most open. A2 is almost completely open for exploration after the first quarter of the game or so, which are linear but largely linear exploration, and Nethergate gives you a slightly smaller open world to explore after the first quarter couple of major quests. All three have engines similar to that of A3.

That said, while A5 and A6 have restrictions on your progress, the sections are much bigger and I never felt as cramped because I never finished exploring one area by the time I opened the next.

Geneforge is very different, but you can at least give it a try.

—Alorael, who really thinks A1 is the game to try next. The engine still hasn't reached the maturity it has in A3, but the game is very fun, you have a wide open world to explore, and you really get the best sense of the Avernum setting from the first game.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
[snip]

That picture has never really enticed me to buy that game, since I know that inside of a second later, the Roman is going to impale the Celt, and he'll soon proceed to burn down his village, salt his fields, and possibly kill his family. Not really much suspense there.

Originally Posted By: All our alephs come to naught
A1 is the most open. A2 is almost completely open for exploration after the first quarter of the game or so, which are linear but largely linear exploration, and Nethergate gives you a slightly smaller open world to explore after the first quarter couple of major quests. All three have engines similar to that of A3.

That said, while A5 and A6 have restrictions on your progress, the sections are much bigger and I never felt as cramped because I never finished exploring one area by the time I opened the next.

Geneforge is very different, but you can at least give it a try.

—Alorael, who really thinks A1 is the game to try next. The engine still hasn't reached the maturity it has in A3, but the game is very fun, you have a wide open world to explore, and you really get the best sense of the Avernum setting from the first game.

Although a warning ahead of time, if you choose to play Avernum 1: there's no quest journal, and for whatever bizarre reason, you can't right click to look at things.

Even though this functionality was already present in the previous engine.

Originally Posted By: Kyronea
Although a warning ahead of time, if you choose to play Avernum 1: there's no quest journal, and for whatever bizarre reason, you can't right click to look at things.

Even though this functionality was already present in the previous engine.

While it isn't integrated into the game, there does exist a helpful list of quests for A1.

I think that SW games tend to exhibit some regressions when starting something substantially new. For example, A4 had no elevation, despite it being present in previous games, and the feature took a game or two to return. This is just what happens when there's only one person doing the programming; some features just don't make it in before the game needs to be made ready to sell.

Geneforge and Geneforge 2 both give a lot of freedom to explore. I agree with the comment that although Avernum 6 imposes some limits, the sections are so large as avoid a feeling of being restricted. And Nethergate (well, N: Resurrection) is my favorite Spiderweb game. It'd be worth trying any of those!

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
No elevations in A4 resulted from adapting the Geneforge game engine instead of revising the A3/Blades engine. It's also why there were no boats.

Right, but in terms of game features it can be seen as a drop in functionality, and it resulted from the amount of effort required to integrate those features into the new framework.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
[snip]

That picture has never really enticed me to buy that game, since I know that inside of a second later, the Roman is going to impale the Celt, and he'll soon proceed to burn down his village, salt his fields, and possibly kill his family. Not really much suspense there.

Hero of Old. That Celt doesn't care. He is going to proceed to hack apart that Roman, steal all of his stuff, and sell it all to faeries.

—Alorael, who has never understood why it's a viable Celtic option to take iron armor you can't wear and sell it to fellow Brigantes who also can't wear it or, even more oddly, faeries who have might trouble even being in contact with it.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
That made me seriously fall out of my chair and land on my plug and unplugged the computer

Luckily, in today's litigious society, you can probably sue whoever had that signature.

I'd like to sue the makers of the plug for constructing it well enough that he was able to plug it in again...