Dual Trade Character or Solo Trade?

I have been doing a very interesting party so far. I have a slith tank with spears and high damage absorbing abilities, My human shaman that can cast both priest and mage spells and swing a sword if he needs to. Those two characters are set and good, however, i also have a character that is a custom made char that is closest to a thief. However, i am starting to question whether i should switch from mastery with swords and finesse and add some ranged capabilities. I already have a tank and a spellslinger, i figure why not have a character that can fight up close a bit, and throw shurikens or shoot arrows when he cant get up close.

Would that really be too much of the jack of all trades mentality and could i do it, or should i just stick with a thief/finesse fighter approach?

Range weapons have really gone down hill in the Second Trilogy. Thrown weapons do more damage, but the best ones are limited in number and are encumbering in weight unlike bows.

Range weapons are useful to pick off enemies that can't be easily reached by melee attacks and to lure them out one by one. Nephils will get decent range attacks without having to use many skill points just on racial skills and what you can train.

When you say limited in number do you mean that there are only set packs of each like 6 javelins you can use to attack and after the 6th is used, they are gone? Are there any thrown weapons (razordisks?) that arent limited in number.

Edit-I'd like to use thrown weapons a bit and have more focus in melee. That was how i played my agent in geneforge 1, meleee/ranger (magic). Im still not sure.

Every time you throw a weapon you lose one from the stack. When you've used them all up it's time to go buy more. In addition, unless you want to waste AP with inventory management in combat, you'll have to equip a stack, and that stack will encumber you. In the case of javelins, quite a bit. I've found that the extra damage of throwing weapons early on isn't enough to make them worth the extra hassle, and bows get bonuses to skills fairly quickly.

Neither ranged option does as much damage as melee. If your character is fine mixing it up in melee, great! Keep doing that. If he can't, make him able to. Bows are nice as backup, but you don't want to be relying on them except while you're closing with enemies.

—Alorael, who thinks a little bit of range is a great idea. A lot of range at the expense of melee is handicapping your character.

I like your tank; every corps needs one. This guy should always be the tip of your spear (pun intended). If he needs a ranged weapon, I like Smite.

(Duck Harehunter, Slarties is coming for your head!) See our discussion on this very topic.

Your shaman, or is he a hedge wizard is excellent; Artillery is the King of Battle. This guy is more expensive than a date with Erin Gray (Who the heck is she?)

Keep to improving spell casting abilities.

As to your third character; beware the lure of the jack of all trades. I am a strong and vociferous advocate of multiple skills training, but keep it down to a minimum. There is only so much XP to be earned, limiting the levels and skill points to be spent.

I have to agree with Alorael as to development of your thief. He will have need of high levels of tool use and it gets very expensive skill point wise the higher you go. Swords are definitely superior to bows or thrown IMHO. The other skills needed to make your ability to conduct (and survive) close combat are useful in other respects. If a worthy bow presents itself, it should go to your thief, but train to it only after you have developed your primary and secondary skills; thief and backup fighter. Bows are cheaper than my preferred Smite, and this guy is as skill point hungry as your hedge wizard. In this circumstance, I will have to defer to bows provided your first two skills are thoroughly developed.

I don't recall any knowledge crystals. I assume they're typos and they're supposed to be wisdom crystals.

—Alorael, who can understand forgetting which items do exactly what. On the other hand, the skill point items are pretty important, and it's not like there are too many versions of them.

Micawber, I actually did play the game first. After I had played it, then I went through and generated the maps now available on my website. One of the tabs on there is for a detailed list of items and their characteristics. The info I have came directly from the script.

Alorael is correct. There are no knowledge crystals in any of the last three Avernums. Only what I described earlier.