Do Shaper classes keep their NPC resistances?[G5]

While I was playing with a Shaper (strictly for RP reasons; the character created is obsessed with trying to become a true Shaper, although most Shapers regard him as an abomination), one of my cryoas went rogue. What struck me was how little damage it did to me at this early point in the game. So, I did a brief test (v1.02 for Windows, Normal difficulty) with a newly created Lifecrafter versus a newly created Shaper. Both removed all armour, made a fyora as soon as possible, and ordered it to attack them. The Lifecrafter resisted nothing, while the Shaper resisted roughly half (I did not conduct a large number of tests) of the fire damage.

Has anyone else observed something like this? A brief look at the scripts shows that the rebel classes are the ones defined for player characters, whereas the only entry for a generic Shaper has 50% resistance to fire and cold.

Indeed, their resistances according to the scripts are pretty high:

Shapers: 40% physical, 50% fire, cold and energy

Guardians: 60% physical, 30% fire and cold

Agents: 40% physical, 30% fire and cold, 60% energy

All three get 70% mental effects resistance, but I'm not sure how much it matters for player characters.

Poison and acid are still problems.

One might consider it an exploit that makes the game easier, of course.

Originally Posted By: Alex

Has anyone else observed something like this? A brief look at the scripts shows that the rebel classes are the ones defined for player characters, whereas the only entry for a generic Shaper has 50% resistance to fire and cold.

I can confirm it.

All I can say is, wow. Geneforge 5 has been out for years, and no one has ever noticed that the Shaper classes receive such huge resistance values. Congratulations on discovering this. I think veterans might have to revise their statement that the Shaper classes are inferior to the Rebel classes.

Originally Posted By: Brocktree
Originally Posted By: Alex

I can confirm it.

All I can say is, wow. Geneforge 5 has been out for years, and no one has ever noticed that the Shaper classes receive such huge resistance values. Congratulations on discovering this. I think veterans might have to revise their statement that the Shaper classes are inferior to the Rebel classes.

In all fairness, that was true until this was discovered- rebel classes get IIRC +6 essence and energy, which the Shaper classes don't. Of course, 50% resistance does trump a tiny bit of energy any day.

Clearly an oversight. See the thread discussing the +30 essence bonus for the Guardian (and his 1/8 essence penalty). In G4 the loyalist classes were only for NPCs, so Jeff put resistances in as for enemies, upgraded their essence, etc. Some of these changes were accidentally left in.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: AethirWeb
Oh so there are actual bonuses to the characters? Not just stats? I'd like to pick the most combat ready in certain situations, so can someone give me a list of the bonuses?

Shaper classes get massive, unlisted bonuses to elemental resistances.
Quote:
Shapers: 40% physical, 50% fire, cold and energy
Guardians: 60% physical, 30% fire and cold
Agents: 40% physical, 30% fire and cold, 60% energy

• 1 month later...

I've been running through Geneforge 5 again, this time as an Agent. It's stupefying to think that this resistance bonus apparently went unnoticed until this year. It's hidden in plain sight - there it is in the text area, every time the PC gets attacked. For example, I'm resisting 2/3 of everything the Unbound hit me with. The main vulnerability remaining is poison/acid, which makes it easier to plan my wardrobe at least. For Guardians and Agents this is game-changing. (For Shapers it should make no difference, as your creations take all the damage anyway.)

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Micawber
(For Shapers it should make no difference, as your creations take all the damage anyway.)

You're doing it wrong. A Lifecrafter can get 90% armor, making him invulnerable to physical damage as long as he doesn't get stunlocked. A Shaper can get 94% armor and 90% resistances (80% for stun and acid, less for poison)

A Shaper is not an army. A Shaper is Chuck Norris: what's Torment for everyone else is Casual for him.

The group of four golems in Kayar's Spire Cells kills me in one round with just their auras (they kill my party if I get out of the way). The Thuggish Tralls on Sammann's Isle would have killed some of my Eyebeasts if I hadn't meatshielded for them. I'd have done the same with the Wormhost Rotghroth, but it acted before me. My whole (uncontrolled) party dealt fire damage, so I went to melee with the Charged Drakon (99% fire resist even after you disable his protection) and took hits from the Gazer who cleverly hid behind a wall to escape the Eyebeasts.