Obvious Warning Lables.

Unbound Draykon

It's really only the US that has this madcap liability law, where punitive damages go to the plaintiff. It's one thing for a guilty corporation to have to pay punitive damages; this can often make sense. McDonald's boiling coffee may only do a few hundred dollars damage at a time, but it'll keep on doing it everywhere, indefinitely, until you hit Mickey-D Inc. with enough millions to wake up their accounting department.

But while it makes sense to make a corporation pay a lot more than what it would take to just redress the damage done, American tort law gives this extra money to the plaintiff, as an enormous windfall. So you can literally get millions for spilling hot coffee, if you're the lucky person whose lawyers win the case. Other countries don't do this, or at least not nearly as often. If they want to hit a corporation hard, they do it with a law and a fine, and the money goes to the state.

I guess the American approach amounts to privatizing public safety, by using tort law instead of statutes. Keep government regulators weak, but unleash the lawyers. Most other countries feel that public safety is a field that government does better than private industry, so they do it differently.

The American system avoids the appearance of Big Government shaking down businesses. But it leads to law firms suing for every little ouchie, on contingency (they work for free but get a big cut of the damages if they win). And this makes all companies, and not just the negligent ones, waste a lot of effort defending themselves in advance from dubious lawsuits; ridiculous warning labels are only one aspect of this wasted effort. Instead of Big Government, it's rich law firms shaking down businesses. I think this is crazy.

I was going for countries where ambulance chasing might get you imprisoned or worse, as they are a prime reason for companies to make such labels. I'm under the assumption that Canada, Australia(+NZ) and most of western europe follow suit with the U.S. on this kind of "judicial practice" (for lack of better wording), with India and Russia (maybe also Indonesia and Mexico) being on the middle line depending on who you pick on, and countries such as China, Iran, Lybia etc... where there is no possibility for such things. (this still leaves a large portion of the world uncovered as I have no idea about western and southern african countries, south america, central Asia and former USSR members).

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
That's an awfully broad statement to make. Actually, both of them are, but especially the one about "crap to live in."

One is totalitarin theocracy ruled by an elite cabal of religiouys zealots, and the other is run by a totally opaque authoritarian cabal of communist oligarchs that crush free speech and dissent. As such the countries fall under the umbrella of "crap to live in", unless you are a member of said cabals, in which case it's pretty sweet.

I wonder if Irans current regimes opposition of the US makes people think it's a backwards or otherwise bad place to live in.

I just checked and it's 70th on the Human Development index. That's the "High Development" category.

Remember that the USA recently had a democratically elected regime that unlawfully invaded another nation, killing god only knows how many people.

Ahmadinejad is an airbag.

I don't agree with most of the reasons he critisises the US for, but that is completely beside the point.

He does certainly seem to be supporting Palestinian and other terrorist groups that have attacked Israel, which is unexcusable.

My point is that other than this, he seems no worse, and even a bit better, than many of this worlds dictators.

I want to add that I personally admire America greatly for a lot of the things it does and stands for, but even so there are many things that the US government does that there is full reason to critisize.

A good deed does not excuse a bad one.

I didn't say it was a bad place to live in because it's technologically backwards, I said it's a bad place to live in because it's a repressive theocracy.

Besides, Ahmadinejad is a laughable figurehead. The real power in Iran is held by Khamenei, who is not elected and runs the country through religious decrees (fatwas), so it's not a dictatorship, it's a theocracy.

EDIT: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I just learned that Ahmadinejad was trained as a civil engineer. This officially excuses him of all crimes and policy mistakes and makes him THE BESTEST WORLD LEADER EVER.

Originally Posted By: Android
That news article tells of oppression of protesters, not of the day to say lives of Iranians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8060167.stm

This tells a bit more though.

>25% inflation and 20.3% unemployment in those under 25, plus a debt at 18% of the GDP (yes, I know the US is way worse on that number), plus "imprudent public-sector spending, subsidies, corruption and inefficiency.", hardly make that article complimentary of Iran.

FYI, I don't study engineering, I actually work as a structural engineer. Take that, massive-layoffs-in-the construction-sector!

Originally Posted By: Android
That´s still completely beside the point.

I wouldn't dare draw many conclusions from economic situations in a country.

We're drawing the conclusion that Iran is a poor place to live based on the fact that it is a repressive theocracy (like I stated above), and now on the new piece of information that it apparently in dire economic straits. If those don't make it a bad place to live in, what does? Lack of infrastructure? Disease and high mortality? War? Lack of culture? There must be some factor or combination of factors that would qualify a country, as Nalyd so eloquently put it, "crap to live in".

Yes, you stated it is a repressive theocracy, and I asked where I could find information to back that statement up, which only lead to information on the nations economic situation.

I'm not trying to argue, I started posting in this thread out of curiousity, which has not been sated, and Google isn't helping much. I guess I´m a poor Googler.

From Wikipedia's article on Theocracy, which paraphrases the CIA world factbook:

Quote:
Iran maintains religious courts for all aspects of law and have religious police to maintain social compliance. while its government is described as a "theocratic republic".[6] Iran's head of state, or Supreme Leader, is an Islamic cleric appointed for life by an elected body called Assembly of Experts.[6] The Council of Guardians, considered part of the executive branch of government, is responsible for determining if legislation is in line with Islamic law and customs (the Sharia), and can bar candidates from elections, and greenlight or ban investigations into the election process.

So even Iran describes itself as a "theocratic republic". Since we know the "republic" bit is a sham since the rigged elections a little ways back, that only leaves "theocratic".

Originally Posted By: Unbound Draykon
My favorites are the nut container that says it may contain nuts (I've actually seen that one), and the egg carton that says it may contain eggs. These definitely get my coveted "Most Mind-Numbingly Obvious" award.

Quote:
My favorite was the warning "Do not eat" on the ipod Shuffle.
That was high on my list too. It kind of makes sense, if you think about it; the [self-censored] thing is almost small enough to swallow, for cryin' out loud!

Then again, many of us should remember seeing the "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball" easter egg in several of Jeff's games.

Originally Posted By: Metatron
I check Spiderweb's boards only occasionally. Sometimes I read threads and think to myself "This thread was definitely set up as an elaborate attempt to troll me." I'm not going to fall for it this time!
That's what you think!

*cue five-minute maniacal laugh track*

• 4 weeks later...