A6 - Archer is basically useless

Flipstylez

I hope Archer gets a special skill of his own besides Sharpshooter that actually makes you want to have an archer. A fighter/meat is a MUST, a priest is a MUST, so is a mage... an archer?? Not so much.

Hopefully the next game (maybe Avadon?) the archer gets to be useful. I'm just a little bit passed the demo version and I started with a pure archer character on my team. So USELESS in fights. Too lazy to start a new party, so I'll just grind it out till the end. I'm glad I made her the tool use character (but in fights, that really doesn't mean anything). My party is so off-balanced and I haven't died so much like this since I played Exile I.

Advice to beginners (for A6).. DON'T MAKE AN ARCHER! Oh, and get endurance early, should be around 6-7, maybe even 8 when you are around the Tower Colony quest.

They're also effective on tanks for getting enemy attention. Actually, a tank-archer build, though unorthodox, is actually pretty effective. If you have elite warrior, you don't need all that much strength for heavy armor, and some of the best stat bonuses are on swords that don't do much damage (discipline blade, nephil warblade).

With skills like sharpshooter and bows in the game you would think it was considered a primary option, in fact I think it was intended to be, it's just underpowered.

Then skills used to increase character damage per round like quickaction don't apply to ranged weapons and ranged itemization tends to be a bit poor compared to melee weapons.

The way I see it archery is a remnant of the old exile system where you had six characters; so you had one pure sword/dual, one pure spear, one pure priest and one pure mage. Leaving you with two characters that could train in anything else you want such as one half priest half mage and one archer thief, or one pure archer and one pure thief etc...

Once the number of chars was reduced the feasibility of a pure archer or thief was reduced and especially with the conjunction of tool use to the unlock spell which meant you want magi to be thieves.

The damage of bows in the early part of the game make them supplementary at best - the exception being the Acid Bow. Combined with Shield Breaker, acid damage can bring down an opposition mage or priest in a few rounds, or a pesky archer while dealing with enemy tanks.

However Throwing Weapons tend to keep pace with the game and can flatten lesser foes in one hit. The bonuses awarded to a DT Nephil (plus the blessing from Dharmon) bring Throws into the game (granted, with an extra point of Str.). The Sharpshooter bonus to my DT Slith is enough to make a bow at Dmg 36 an effective Spell Point saver.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
The unlock spell only scales with tool use in A4. In A5 it opens "magic" locks on doors, a system apart from tool use unlocks, and in A6 it doesn't exist. So making the mage and tool user the same character only matters in A4.

I know that, but I thought I was in the A4 forum.