E2: Test of Mind

Locke

• 1 month later...

Except he's full of it. You can't go back through the portal after you finish the test, and if I recall correctly, you get the Alien Blade from one of the "Sleeping Vahnatai" specials.

I don't ever remember opening that porticullis either. There have been several topics about it in the past, but no real answer. I think Jeff intended to do something with it, but it slipped his mind.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for reviving this thread. I had no idea it was going to bring such controversy on the boards. Have I known before hand that it was going to cause so many problems I would have created a new "Test Of Mind" thread under my name. As a way of apology I am removing the original message I posted and may (or may not) include a future "Test Of Mind" thread, providing its not violating any rules of the boards.

Quote:
Originally written by Princess Ruth:
I appreciate you're a newbie, so I won't go to town on you... However, please check the date of the last reply before you post. There is no need to resurrect dead topics.
I don't remember seeing anything like that in the "Exile Board" rules. I never heard of such thing and I've been part of tons of message boards throughout the interner for 13 years now. There is such thing as "lock a thread" if you don't want any more posts into it. The last post was a month ago, not 6 months ago. It wouldn't make sense for me to make a new thread for the TEST OF MIND when there is already one.

I may be a newbie here but not to the web, also I've been playing Exile since it was first released and came in my MacAddict/MacHome CDs back around 1996. I just happen to want to pass it once more in more detail.

Fake hints and now a resurrection. What an unfortunate topic.

MacCentris, the general rule of thumb around here — you may have been on message boards that ran differently, but this is the norm here — is that if a thread has not been posted in for a while (perhaps a week), you should not post in it unless you have something genuinely new, useful, and necessary to add. This is not part of the CoC because it's mostly for the sake of politeness.

If someone had actually asked how to complete the Test of Mind and no one had answered, then your post would probably have been useful. However, you might notice that no one actually asked that. The question for which this thread existed had been answered already. Thus this revival falls under the "useless revival" heading. No harm done, but keep the rule in mind for the future.

I won't lock this thread, because it's probably better to let it die naturally, but let's leave it be unless there's something significant and new to talk about here.

EDIT: Double-posting is in the CoC, actually.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22thread+
necromancy%22&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&
ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]http://www.google.com/search?q=%22thread+necromancy%22&sourceid=m ozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8[/url]

... 752 search results, presented as evidence that there are plenty of other forums where people frown upon bringing back dead topics.
what do you know, in a massive world of trillions and trillions of web pages in Google (and at least one million gaming message boards), it so happens that the whole internet has 752 topics of frowning about bringing up dead topics in message boards (usually at least 6+ months old).

Its ok, because I removed the topic as best I could. I would have deleted it if I could as well, my advice is surely not appreciated around here. It sounds humiliating to even have some ironic proof of such insignificant problem. It so happens that to belittle or humiliate a poster are also within rules that don't seem to be followed around here. I didn't do double posts at all, I wasn't going to post a reply to an individual message within my previous message when it had nothing to do with what I was talking about in the previous post.

Talking about board affairs and rules can also be consideredd an off-topic post, when the moderator could have sent me a personal message instead of posting to the whole world. I am truly insulted.

I guess this is goodbye.

I'm hoping that "big words" comment was a clever jab at the "trillions and trillions" comment, because I can't see any other unusual words anywhere in his post.

The reason that I said this to you in public, MacCentris, is that it's a common enough mistake that it's worth mentioning in public every now and then. There's no need to be insulted, as no harm was meant (as I stated explicitly before). There's also no need to get so worked up about being corrected.

In any case, this topic has outlived its usefulness. If anything more needs to be said, take it to PMs.