A6 - Playing The Whole Game

Gotta ask:

OK, I understand that Jeff is all into choices. However, I want to play The Whole Game, not just most of it.

Just when should we go back and do Gladwell's missions if we want to do them at the end of the game, then, hopefully, kill Gladwell? And I'm not happy about leaving half of Melanchion's missions undone. (Not happy about just choosing two of three missions earlier in the game either, but at least if we do all of those missions it doesn't change the ending--I guess.)

So, in order to play The Whole Game, I'm wondering just when I should save before doing the rest of the optional stuff. I'm guessing that it's after you've done two of Melanchion's missions. Then save.

Then do Gladwell, kill him, and then the endgame.

Then do Gladwell without killing him and the endgame.

Then go back and do the other two Melanchion missions and the endgame.

Then, perhaps, do the last two Melanchion missions, then kill Melanchion (if I can), and the endgame.

Will that get me all the endings, or should I do something earlier?

I might be lucky that my computer crashed and I had to start over. When it crashed, I'd done three of Melanchion's missions, so I guess I'd already changed my ending. Now perhaps I've left myself better options.

(And, um, no, please don't tell me what the endings are, although I'm guessing that one of them is Melanchion taking over.)

Thanks!

Both those quest affect the ending in a different way.

One quest you can do that changes nothing is making the Tenevra Vahnatai leave (forcefully)

and keep that as your base Melanchion save.

Scourge, Bargha and Darkside Loyalists quests all have their specific ending

texts as well as doing more than 2 for Melanchion.

I believe the Gladwell ending is only if youve done all his quests.

If you kill him its as if you hadnt done his quests except theres a line in parentheses

that has a rhetorical question about what would have happened if you hadnt killed him.

Killing Melanchion also of course changes the ending.

I always got the same sub ending after killing him no matter how many quests i had done for him.

Thats all that i can think of that affects the ending...

Edit: I am unsure if not doing the quests in Tenevra itself regarding Renthar-Ihrno worshippers affects the ending in some way.

Doing Gladwell's quests is good but killing him is bad (for Avernum but letting him live isn't much better) but doing Melanchion's quests and letting him/her/it to live is bad (especially if Gladwell's quests aren't done or he's dead) but killing him/her/it isn't easy (thx to his/her/its Death Curse), with maxed party I managed to kill M. 1 round before char would have died on Death Curse so to get best ending isn't easy (no matter what does ending is bad for party).

Originally Posted By: Golgoth
Originally Posted By: VCH
The endings are mostly the same. Jeff really forced the ending he wanted.

Doesn't that ruin the atmosphere of the rpgs and avernums open endedness?

It's Geneforge that's open-ended. From my experience, Avernum is much more restricted, with the PC's only able to choose between two or three major endings (Melanchion, Gladwell, and Starrus in this case; Dorikas and Redmark in A5, etc.)with some minor variations for smaller events.

Dantius is right about open-ended endings being the hallmark of Geneforge. Avernum's openness, especially in the first three games, lies in the freedom to explore, to just wander around wherever you want doing what you want, really exploring mysterious locales. The endings never had all that much in the way of variation, from what I know. In the later Avernum games, that freedom to explore was diminished, I think (especially in A5, which seems to me like being forced down one long tunnel consisting of one Avernite settlement after another, despite supposedly being unexplored frontier), but that open feel comes back somewhat in A6.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires

its slightly better than alternative but strong dragon and strong lunatic wizard is good cause there's high chance that they eliminate eachothers.

But you can eliminate both of them yourself, and the result is basically the same as when you don't do enough for either of them to give them a leg up.

I've played two endings so far. In one, I killed Gladwell and did all of the dragon's quests. In the other, I just went back before I finished the first game and killed the dragon. I actually prefer the one where the dragon is alive and completely in power, since even though everyone is controlled, Avernum seems to be a better place then in the other ending I got.

Same old story - full control vs no controls. Starrus seems to have the centrist position but obviously favours 'citizens' of Avernum. I think Melanchion would be more of a universal ruler but I don't like his mind control stuff - a pleasant, functioning society without anyone being actually free.

sound familiar...?

Originally Posted By: lampshade
What's wrong with Melanchion? He's a pretty dedicated guy.

As far as I know only femmes lay eggs so unless Mel is crossgender (or dragons differ from other reptiles) that reptilian is female.

Originally Posted By: So Much Killing

He is killable, ergo he must die. QED.

Killable but very hard killable (more difficult than at A5) since it can kill whole party with its first strike (dunno if inv. potions/elixirs help much and those effect tend to run out on bad time, party would need to 3 attacks per round per char before DC kills 1), maybe staying at back (away from M's aura-spells) and using bows and spells and summons to kill Melanchion woul bring better results than fighters using swords and casters using spells to hit it.

I always wondered about the seemingly multi-gender dragons of the trilogy...

Also:

Originally Posted By: waterplant
I don't like his mind control stuff - a pleasant, functioning society without anyone being actually free.

sound familiar...?

North Korea, anyone? tongue

Quote:
As far as I know only femmes lay eggs so unless Mel is crossgender (or dragons differ from other reptiles) that reptilian is female.

Im pretty sure Jeff didnt change his sex this time around.
The eggs your referring to are his mothers... So their his little bros or sisters.
I guess Athron wanted to make sure that if ever she was killed some eggs would still be safe...

To think his mother was once male though haha