A3: Angered Isle of Bigail

From what I've heard, if you rob the Anama's treasure, every town on the Isle of Bigail becomes hostile to you. Does anyone know if this include the GIFTs home? Because I'd almost consider the problems of getting out of the Temple after doing so, not to mention Shayder itself, as worthwhile if I could stomp on those disturbing creatures with a clean conscience.

Chris Davies.

If I recall correctly, only the human towns in Bigail become hostile after you steal the Anama's stuff. BTW, why do you hate the GIFTs. They are one of my favourite species in the entire Avernum mega-fauna. 'The Happy Spider on seeing you, starts to jump up and down. After a while it becomes tired and says "You're cute" ' :-D

Anyway, the lewt itself is motivation enough to off the Anama.

Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
if the anama were real, i think they'd be kind of like scientologists, only with a much older religion.

Scientologists? Wat?? I dunno much about them, but I thought that they were a religion who believed in aliens and stuff. They don't exactly fit the profile of a magic(technology?) hating religion.

If you don't think that a religious discussion is prudent on a game forum please disregard this, but I think that while the Anama are rather extremist in their banning of magic, I find the scientologists somewhat moderate when compared with other real-world faiths/cults.

Originally Posted By: Gnaeus Pompeius
Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
if the anama were real, i think they'd be kind of like scientologists, only with a much older religion.

Scientologists? Wat?? I dunno much about them, but I thought that they were a religion who believed in aliens and stuff. They don't exactly fit the profile of a magic(technology?) hating religion.

If you don't think that a religious discussion is prudent on a game forum please disregard this, but I think that while the Anama are rather extremist in their banning of magic, I find the scientologists somewhat moderate when compared with other real-world faiths/cults.
i didn't mean that they had the same type of beliefs, because if anything, they're completely opposite in that regard. i meant that the best known members of the religion come across in the same way. maybe a better comparison is christian crusaders on a much smaller scale. anyone who believes something other than what they believe is seen as evil.

Actually, the only church in the Avernum series I could potentially see being equivalent to Scientology is the Church of the Divine Lucre, since both require lots of wealth.

Except that the Church of the Divine Lucre is all about gaining wealth for yourself, whereas Scientology extracts and uses its members for all their worth(since it's basically nothing more than one gigantic money extraction scheme to cheat its members) so I suppose they're not really similar.

The Anama Church are really more like Luddites, up to and including much Luddite hypocrisy, such as using certain elements of magic and Priest spells that can act like similar Mage spells and so on and so forth.

The Divine Lucre has very little reason to head into Avernum. It's not a great place to make money unless you'll be doing the work yourself, and they don't seem big on that.

—Alorael, who sees the Church of the Divine Lucre as an entirely self-aware combination of club and corporation. They know what they want and they're good at getting it, but they don't have to be nice about.

Probably no longer secret once the heroes of A3 write their memoirs, but that's what you get for getting involved in adventurer business.

—Alorael, who is sure that as civilization sinks its claws into Avernum the more civilized Guild-sponsored brand of banditry will also become more prevalent. Look for the Eye of Approval on all your caravan raids!

Jumping back to a facet of the original question here...

Originally Posted By: Davies

Quote:
BTW, why do you hate the GIFTs.
Because they're spiders. They were bad enough in Exile, and the redesign for Avernum is even creepier-looking.

Chris Davies.

If you want, you can simply attack them outright. Enter combat, then attack a GIFTS as you normally would attack an enemy. As far as I'm aware, killing the GIFTSs has no impact on the rest of the game (though to be on the safe side, save your game before killing them).

Originally Posted By: DanielJacksonMPC
It will lower your reputation, as any attacking of non-hostile beings will.

...and why is it that attacking your own summoned creatures lowers your reputation? They sometimes get in your way...and who's going to find out about it anyway?

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
...and who's going to find out about it anyway?

The All-Seeing-Roving-Eyes-Of-Sheer-Unmentionable-Terror, who else? Afterall, how else can one explain a town going hostile when you assasinate an unfortunate slob living far enough from the town for his/her cries not to alert the townspeople. Or how they gang up and lynch you whenever you have had the temerity to kill a poor cat or dog in the backalleys of a town where you thought no one would see you. shocked

And guess what, the All-Pervading-Eye(or is it the all-perverted?) exists not only in Emarian, it has also been discovered lurking in the World of Geneforge.