Avernum: Escape from the Pit Version 1.0.1 Released

Spiderweb Software has released the v1.0.1 update of Avernum: Escape From the Pit for the Macintosh. This upgrade contains a wide variety of bug fixes and balance changes and is highly recommended. You can get the newest version here. Just download and install it. Your saved games and registration won't be affected.

Release Notes

• Problem that could cause Avernum to crash on system restart has been fixed.
  • Several encounters in the early game are now much easier.
  • Slain foes now give a little more experience.
  • Pressing Return in a special encounter dialog box with one item now closes it.
  • Strength and Dexterity tooltips corrected.
  • Gymnastics now affects chance to be hit correctly.
  • Divine Retribution now does magical damage.
  • Attacking neutral foes is no longer a crime.
  • It is now possible to take the tome in the Crypt of Drath after reading it.
  • The Flawless Shot discipline is now more effective.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
I can report that in this version, the bat cave is completely doable when you first encounter it. Right to the end, if you use a few consumables.

Awesome! I was thinking about hitting that next, but erred on the side of caution given how badly it kicked my rear too early the last time.

I was also able to do the Nephilim Raiders pretty much when I got the quest (after picking up a few spells in Ft. Dranlon). Though it did take two tries. First time through, I had leave that one for quite awhile. I don't think they were nerfed; I think it's just that I'm gaining levels a little faster. Having done what I can do in the Eastern Gallery, my party is now level 7, and about to head up to Formello.

To elaborate and clarify: a major part of the damage any attack does comes from bonuses based on attributes. With the exception of divine retribution, all spells in 1.0 received damage and accuracy bonuses from intelligence, and the game expected casters of both types to put a lot of points into intelligence. So unless you were playing a caster-archer hybrid, divine retribution did pretty poor damage compared to other spells, and its accuracy was abysmal.

Originally Posted By: Othar Trygvassen: Gentleman
To elaborate and clarify: a major part of the damage any attack does comes from bonuses based on attributes. With the exception of divine retribution, all spells in 1.0 received damage and accuracy bonuses from intelligence, and the game expected casters of both types to put a lot of points into intelligence. So unless you were playing a caster-archer hybrid, divine retribution did pretty poor damage compared to other spells, and its accuracy was abysmal.

And now it can be VERY VERY good.

• 5 months later...

I welcome the bug fixes, especially the divine retribution one but I don't think I want to install a patch that gives me more xp and makes some encounters easier.

Maybe I'm old and bitter. I'm on my third playthrough, having done one playthrough while beta-testing and the other one after release.

If people were having problems with early encounters then why didn't they just alter the difficulty to an easier setting? Also, you shouldn't expect to be able to win every encounter you come across. That's just boring.