Music in Avernum 5

kenny2011

Unless music was obtained from the public domain, Spiderweb would have to pay for it. This translates into me paying more for the game. Besides, I can play music of my choice at the same time (which I usually choose not to).

--------------------

Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.

- Oscar Wilde

Quote:
Originally written by Frobozz:
How about instead of music, Jeff makes the game use surround sound effects! Wouldn't it be fun to hear your party getting hit by a fireball from behind? laugh
Good idea, but I don't think it could happen easily. Plus, you would need a surround sound system for your computer, wouldn't you?

I don't think music is best suited to Spiderweb games. As long as there are nice, realistic background sounds. If you were really desperate, you could always make a funky series of GarageBand BGMs...

Anyway, I can see why some would like it or dislike it. And there's always the matter of if the music is good in our opinion...after all, it's up to Jeff what the music is if he decides there to be music at all.

I'm indifferent. Most computer games have disposal music, and Jeff doesn't have the budget to do better. It would be nice to have a way to select your own tracks for various occasions (battle, towns, caves, and so on), but that's work without any real benefit for Jeff.

—Alorael, who frequently finds himself turning off games' music to use iTunes anyway. Unless there's a chance of getting Avernum scored by Howard Shore, no music is good music.

I like music in games a lot. Many of my favorite games ever have memorable soundtracks.

That said, I understand why it's not in Spidweb's games. Good music would probably be expensive, and bad music is a lot harder to overlook than bad graphics (sure, it can be turned off, but why bother with a feature most would turn off?) and it would increase download size a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Frobozz:
Quote:
Originally written by Jawaj:
and it would increase download size a lot.
Not if he used the Amiga module formats that older DOS (and Amiga) games used. Jazz Jackrabbit for example has 32 music files for only 3MB of space.
Commodore 64-syle SID music, too. wink

14 Kilobytes(!) for every song from Origin's "Times of Lore", for instance: http://www.lemon64.com/music/sid/Galway_Martin/Times_of_Lore.sid

Tiny SID for Windows is 13KB.
http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~sinsch/TinySid.htm

I prefer the SID plug-in for Winamp: http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/144643

But then I actually think these games would be great with that kind of retro music while others here might disagree.