Control Core B[G5]

Uberdhizon

Even then, the Synthesis Mind's creations may need some careful attention. Being with Litalia's group as well, I found it fairly hard to solve this while strictly following that group's beliefs. Then, when I gave in and talked to the Synthesis Mind so I would at least have its creations supporting me, I still managed to get all of its first wave killed by the first mind. Not sure what happened there, the second attempt that I found myself forced to start soon after that went through without any major pain.

(Since I play without canisters this time around, I can't actually make any creations myself that are powerful enough for this part of the game. If you can, I imagine that's enough to turn those fights around completely.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a different problem with this area: I've killed everything, but now what do I do to complete the quest (received from the Trakovites)? According to the quest description, I'm supposed to talk to Alwan, but my conversation choices with him don't seem particularly helpful. If I go back to the person who gave me the quest, she just describes the quest as if I hadn't done it.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
The Control Core B quest can only be done if you ask to join Alwan's faction and he only does it for pro-Shaper reputations after the Mission to Drakons quest in Gazaki-Uss. The Trakovite version can't be done until you do the other quests in their quest chain.

I believe this has changed. From what I see the quest after Control Core B is the first chance you get to swear to Alwan. All Alwan requires for Control Core B is a rep of 103 (adjusted by 50% of leadership) or better and completion of Journey To the Drakons.

Can someone playing the Alwan path confirm?

Originally Posted By: Dahak
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
The Control Core B quest can only be done if you ask to join Alwan's faction and he only does it for pro-Shaper reputations after the Mission to Drakons quest in Gazaki-Uss. The Trakovite version can't be done until you do the other quests in their quest chain.

I believe this has changed. From what I see the quest after Control Core B is the first chance you get to swear to Alwan. All Alwan requires for Control Core B is a rep of 103 (adjusted by 50% of leadership) or better and completion of Journey To the Drakons.

Can someone playing the Alwan path confirm?

You're both saying the same thing (_ask_ to join != swear. It's the "I'm eager to blah blah blah" phase). And yes, you're right.

Yes, I'd gotten this wrong in the first version of the walkthrough. One *can* do the quest without swearing to Alwan; it is only required that one tell Alwan that one *wants* to join him.

The dialogue is confusing the first time through, but it's exactly the same as with other factional quest sequences. (Litalia's quest in the repository is the same.)

Quote:
same = confusing

well, yes, confusing in exactly the same way, in that one needs to *tell* litalia one is interested in joining, but one is not required to swear.

Quote:
same = the first sworn quest is the repository?

no, rather the opposite, the same in that *neither* requires swearing. The walkthrough is right now:

If you say you wish to join Alwan's faction, he will next assign you Q: Control Core B. (Note that you can finish this quest without joining Alwan's faction, and the control core contains unmelting ice....

Okay, I went back to the scripts, and with Alwan you're right. The Control Core B and Repository quests are exactly the same *phase* for Alwan and Litalia, respectively, in that you need to express interest in joining them, but are not actually required to swear. But the wording is indeed different:

For Litalia, to get the repository quest, one needs to say, I am interested in becoming a Trakovite.

For Alwan, it is indeed I would like to fight for the Shapers.

So Litalia's wording is actually more confusing than Alwan's.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've been lurking these forums for a while because I'm new to the Geneforge games.

Right now I'm stuck in Control Core B, sent by Alwan. I have 16 Leadership (with items), but I have no dialogue option that doesn't lead to a fight against the Synthesis Mind. I milked the dialogue tree a couple of times, I talked to the Alpha Mind first, reloaded, talked to the Synthesis Mind first - no go. I ask every question I can and then the only option is to tell it that Alwan sent me to fix things, which makes the mind angry and it challenges me.

I already fought it once, but without going through the dialogue. I just attacked it and killed it. The other minds became hostile and I had to kill them as well. The result was one botched quest and one angry Alwan.

Advice is appreciated. I'd especially like to know why I can't get the diplomatic dialogue option.

Originally Posted By: Gondolin
Hi,

I've been lurking these forums for a while because I'm new to the Geneforge games.

Right now I'm stuck in Control Core B, sent by Alwan. I have 16 Leadership (with items), but I have no dialogue option that doesn't lead to a fight against the Synthesis Mind. I milked the dialogue tree a couple of times, I talked to the Alpha Mind first, reloaded, talked to the Synthesis Mind first - no go. I ask every question I can and then the only option is to tell it that Alwan sent me to fix things, which makes the mind angry and it challenges me.

I already fought it once, but without going through the dialogue. I just attacked it and killed it. The other minds became hostile and I had to kill them as well. The result was one botched quest and one angry Alwan.

Advice is appreciated. I'd especially like to know why I can't get the diplomatic dialogue option.

I did this recently. First thing I did was talk to all the servant minds. Then talk to Synthesis mind, do NOT fight him now. After you go through all his dialogue, go back and talk to the Alpha one (first one) and ask for help. His help will be his creations defending him.

The hard part is keep alive the servant minds that the creations attack. The beta and gamma will die almost assuredly, but you have to defend the last one, alpha. He has some guys helping him, but there are rots and patchwerks that will wreck him. It took me a damn long time to do it right. The synthesis mind after taking some damage will give a prompt, and his HP is reduced to 200 and will be killed by damage from the other minds.

Then defend the last mind, or leave as fast as you can before he dies if you can't handle the enemy, cause if they all die then you fail and Alwan isn't interested in you

I think there is no solution to fighting the rogue Synthesis Mind. I had very high Leadership and still had to take him down. I think you might be better off to ditch the bugs and get some rotdhizons. Also, after talking to the the S-Mind, leave him in battle mode. Don't fight him yet. The waves of rogues start at the bottom (not top!) and go up. Buff and once over, go to the next. Once There are at least two waves, I think, so repeat the process. Once the rogues are gone, then go back to the nasty mind. He is weakened by now, so he is easier to kill.

Okay, I'm going on some bad memory here and will amend my post so as not to mislead. Also I incorrectly stated "intelligence" instead of "leadership." I'm on a quick work break so writing too fast.

The bottom is even better ... not so far to walk. Try to go west of the minds to try to block the rogues.

I think weak creations may be an issue. Honestly I strugged horribly with strategies and restarted the game a number of times before discovering that with a Shaper character, I had to pump Shaping and Intel almost to the exclusion of everything else and switch to powerful creations. Then it was ridiculous easy. I played only on normal at that point.

Oh, you probably know this, but don't forget about enlisting the other minds' aide before the challenge, as mentioned above. After talking to the nasty one, tell him you'll get back with him, go get the other minds' help, then come back, tell the S-Mind you're ready, etc.

I tried hanging onto the bugs, too. I get attached. smile If you get the green rotters, they have 12 AP, so they can get two attacks. (You can get a canister in the Western Passes after defeating the naughty Eye there that will enable the higher level rot. You will need regular rots to defeat the Eye. At least, I did.) Intelligence really needs to be high for Shapers, so that you can support a large and powerful army. Without that, the Shaper is too weak a character.

I killed Synthesis Mind, with help from the other minds. The Gazer is a powerful hitter against the green rotters. The other minds took out half of SM's hit points before the battle started and my pack killed it in one turn.

I got the canister in the Western Pass before fighting the SM. I didn't need rotters for the Gazer inside. He went down quite quickly, thanks to my own Gazer and the War Trall. The bugs kept his minions busy. Now I need a trainer to give me two levels in rotters so I can get the green ones. Still, the drain on my essence is huge. I have 19 points in Intelligence (items included) and I have 120 essence points to spare and my pack is now down to 3 creatures, plus my character who is reduced to casting the occasional spell.

Thanks for your advice. smile

Not just about following the dialogue tree but a sequence of events.

1. Talk to minds, talk to synthesis mind, talk to minds again to enlist help.

2. Throw challange.

3. Kill all rogue creations besides synthesis mind. (Or maybe until the point where it mentions the pylon is weakening 3 times and you get another dialogue when you approach synthesis mind)

4. Kill synthesis mind.

If you do step 4 without step 3, the whole zone becomes hostile. Minds who were being attacked by the rogue creations suddenly go "Lets kill the guy who is helping us."