Canisters and Endings (spoilers)[G5]

Canisters don't seem to be as big a deal in this game as they were in previous ones. I guess since you're altered from the start everyone just sort of expects you to use them (Rawal seems to approve of you using that first one in his fortress). Can anyone who has finished the game, preferably multiple times, tell me how big an effect canisters have in the endings? Even if it's just a few lines like it's been in previous games, I'd like to know whether or not the only thing I have to gain from not using them is the RP value (my loyalists never use canisters tongue ).

I don't know about the ending (which is not in scripts), but there are only three places where the scripts check canister use. One is dialogue only and checks for 8 or more. The others are forced combat checks: at the Dera Bridge for 15 or more and in Outer Gazaki-Uss for 10 or more.

I'm pretty sure that I was at 15 at that point, because I got a dialog option to attack and the script doesn't seem to have a second check for in between 15 and a lower amount. I've played through the area with about 6 to 8 canisters and never got the attack option.

I just reached the Dera Bridge after using more than 15 canisters and I have the option to attack, but don't have to attack. This game is a canister junkie and I've used the 4 canisters in the Foundry Repository, stole 3 from the lab in Gazaki-Uss and use the banish affliction one there, the daze and strong daze canisters, strength from Control Core B, the create drayk from Podling Crossing, create kyshakk, burning spray, searer, icy spray, acid shower, essence lances, essence shield, and battle roar.

Oh, yes. I've been paying attention to shaper/rebel reputation, which is 100,0.

—Alorael, who wonders how, exactly, Jeff can stand working with variables that aren't given names. It's an elementary programming mistake (he said so himself!), and while one-time messages could just be (zone number, message number) thinks like reputation really could be described.

Originally Posted By: Corker
A variable without a name would be a literal wouldn't it? The variable 'a' can store a varying number of values, but the number 10 can only ever be the number 10.

"100,0" may, technically, be a name for a variable, but it is not a good name for a variable.

I am reasonably confident that Jeff does not, in fact, individually declare variables with names consisting only of two numbers and a comma in between.

—Alorael, who should have been more precise. The variables do have names. They just don't have good names. They are, in fact, only a step above giving your variables random strings as names. sdkfghjks++

So, hey, how about we talk about those endings, huh?

Just finished the Ghaldring path last night. After Randomizer went on a while ago about how depressing all of the endings were, I was expecting it to be worse than it was, but it was actually pretty satisfying. Canister use doesn't seem to change the ending at all, but maybe it has more of an effect on the other paths.

I was depressed with how after all that work to finish the game, you get sent to minor leagues. I thought the battle would be harder for Ghaldring's faction and it was easier than the other endings.

Slarty - I never really used VAX assemby language. Still in all assembly languages variables are just numbers stored in a specific memory location in a stack. Ah, the good old days when you had to be careful when you programmmed to get what you thought you were getting.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I was depressed with how after all that work to finish the game, you get sent to minor leagues. I thought the battle would be harder for Ghaldring's faction and it was easier than the other endings.

Why would the final battle on the Ghaldring path be harder? If you do nothing (the Rawal ending), the rebels win, so obviously they're stronger than the Shapers.