Finished game; my favorite Avernum game (spoilers!)

BenS

I just finished this last night, after an incredible amount of hours put into it. Got both endings (and even felt dirty about the Darkside Loyalist ending). I'd just like to say this was my favorite Avernum game. I've liked them all--yes, even Avernum IV--but this just blew me away.

What I liked: Battle Disciplines were fun w/out being broken. The writing was crisp. The boss battles were just so memorable. The bits of humor throughout. The thrill of exploration. Moral quandaries. Choosing sides. The screenshot art was fantastic! How Jeff's games continue to favor shades of grey over black and white; if you know what I mean. Icon-art (when speaking w/ X). I loved all the optional stuff, like Lark's monster quests, and the 4 artifact dungeons. How the lich in the Pit of Abominations revealed a hand behind the creation of the Rockhounds plaguing the Vahnatoi. How natural ecologies played an underlying theme in the game, and affected the perceptions of the various races. The challenge felt real throughout the game. I never felt overpowered and underchallenged. The new encumbrance rules.

Minor criticisms: Not much, honestly. B/c I'm more anal-retentive than most, I would have preferred the sprites to match up by gender smile Other than that, I have the feeling there are a few too many skills, both secret and not secret (e.g., I might not have Magery in a game where Spellcraft is already available). And why not lay out the "secret" skills in the manual, so players can choose to build their characters accordingly? I've played many of these games where I only stumbled onto a secret skill by accident. Players might like to plan ahead for their character creation. Just a thought.

Anyway, this was just a fantastic effort, and I enjoyed it immensely.

P.S. Thanks for the old-time D&D nod. "Vesna" the lich. Heh heh heh...

Lastly...

...I played (the first time, anyway) as 4 nephils and a slith. That made it *really* hard to get motivated to go Darkside, given that my role even at best would pretty obviously be peon/untermenschen.

Would have been ideal to have, maybe, a Loyalist subplot with the possibility of raising the profile/status of nonhumans in that setup? Too late, I know, but there are few enough gripes with what was really a great game smile .

EDIT: Oops - see below: for 4, read 3. No 5-character party (!); one Slith tank, one nethil swordsman; one priest/archer and one mage/thief. I guess I can buy the 'darkside route is for human parties' - and yes, I noted the text mods, but they were very obviously not sincere on 'his' part smile

How did you get to run a party of 5 characters?

Dorikas while being old school Empire in his disdain for nonhumans does change his dialog if you have them in your party. Besides this game really screws over humans with regard to gaining battle disciplines. It costs more in skill points and takes longer before you can get them all.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Now to gain the powers you must remove your own head and place it on in place of yours.
I see there are a few D&D players here, familiar w/ that joke module from WOTC. The funny (scary?) thing is that you just know some people didn't get the joke until it was, um, too late smile

• 3 months later...

I finished the game being loyal to the empire, now I'll try the other one.

Is there going to be an Avernum 6?? cool!!

I wish one could choose the aid that will be summoned by the mage. I hated when I needed a ranged attacker and got a pustulant zombie instead, or when I was fighting a fire resistan foe and got a fire lizard frown

Quote:
Originally written by Elastikon:
Dude. Genocide would have been the perfect answer to the chitrach mess in A4. At least for parties. Most singletons probably couldn't survive the average 798 unblockable damage you'd take from genociding 227 chitrachs.
Unless you're playing a game where genocide works properly.