Young Geneforgers

My daughter is now trying Geneforge, at just under age 6, with a fair amount of help from me, including reading all the text. With the game set on easy, and playing a shaper with all AI creations, it's actually quite manageable for a little kid.

In a form of role playing that surprised me, my daughter and her friend decided to name several of the creations with their own names and those of family members, having named the shaper with a nickname. But there was no grief when creations died, apparently because they could so easily be recreated.

I'm not sure how much of the story and sect politics is going over her head — probably most if not all of it — but my daughter says she really likes the game because she wants to learn how to make new monsters.

Anyone else have experience with little kids playing Geneforge, or with playing it at a young age?

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
In a form of role playing that surprised me, my daughter and her friend decided to name several of the creations with their own names and those of family members, having named the shaper with a nickname.
Doesn't surprise me too much; I did the same thing with Exile when I was 8, and I'm sure lots of other people did too.

Quote:
Originally written by The Ratt:
Tal, you make it sound like playing as a guardian is a bad thing. Why?
I only meant that it's a bit strange that he does, given his obsession with creations. He hardly puts skill points in anything else. All he thinks about is "must have more essence, must summon more drayks." Exactly what I do with my shapers/lifecrafters.

Guardians can be very fun and effective, but they don't fit his strategy well. Except for the HP bonus, of course. But with a good creation army, you don't die very often anyway.

I knew very early on that a lot of small children would really enjoy the Geneforge games. After all, it lets them make their own army of fire-breathing dinosaurs. How cool is that?

When my brother-in-law was nine, he played through a lot of the first one. He ignored the plot and simply killed every single thing he met.

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
In a form of role playing that surprised me, my daughter and her friend decided to name several of the creations with their own names and those of family members, having named the shaper with a nickname.
Doesn't surprise me too much; I did the same thing with Exile when I was 8, and I'm sure lots of other people did too.
My god. You've been playing SW games since you were 8? I knew you had been around for about 6 years. But 12? Insane. Anyhow, My little brother used to play Geneforge back when he was 8. He was quite good at it. Although I was a bit disturbed when I found out how much he enjoyed killing the Takers and stealing their stuff.

• 4 years later...
Originally Posted By: Killabreu
I remember playing Geneforge very early myself, from a disk full of demos. In fact, I still have it. It just says "Computer Games 7/02". Has some space ships shooting at eachother with explosions. In fact, it was the only game I liked on the thing.

Same thing here although a little older. I was introduced to History via my father but also, via a trial version of Age of empires on a CDrom.

And it's through CDs with demos on them that I learnt of the game "avernum I" when I was about 10.