improvements for geneforge 3.... your thoughts

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally written by Iolanda:
I would not only like less sexistic graphics (though they don't really annoy me, since I prefer to play the agent), but I'd like more colour schemes. I'd really like to play a shaper (of any type) with black robes.
I find the idea of shops running out of money unrealistic. Am I their only client?
They way of travelling in Geneforge is far faster than in Exile/ Avernum, but it is highly unrealistic, too.
I'd like to be able to equip two kinds of weapons (short-range and wide-range).
For the shops running out of money, I don't find that unrealistic. In fact, I find it realistic. I mean, thinking about a shop in real life, it has its limits on cash.

Also, for the travel part, I can see how it is unrealistic. Being able to skip over all the "cleared" territories is kinda unrealistic. But my guess is it was made because it would take too long traveling from 1 place to the next. I mean, just say you wanted to go back to the starting place to check something out (for reasons unknown) and you were all the way on the other side of the map. You'd be pretty poed wouldnt ya? wink

I can also concur with your last statement. I'd like to see a dual wileding feature on g3 as well. But I'd like to add on to that thought. The way I see it, I'd like to be able to dual wield two short range 1 hand weapons, like exile. (I dont think you can do that in avernum, correct me if im wrong) That just about wraps up all my statements about G3. smile

Quote:
Originally written by -08:
Also, for the travel part, I can see how it is unrealistic. Being able to skip over all the "cleared" territories is kinda unrealistic. But my guess is it was made because it would take too long traveling from 1 place to the next. I mean, just say you wanted to go back to the starting place to check something out (for reasons unknown) and you were all the way on the other side of the map. You'd be pretty poed wouldnt ya? wink

I can also concur with your last statement. I'd like to see a dual wileding feature on g3 as well. But I'd like to add on to that thought. The way I see it, I'd like to be able to dual wield two short range 1 hand weapons, like exile. (I dont think you can do that in avernum, correct me if im wrong) That just about wraps up all my statements about G3. smile [/QB]
I know what you mean. But I guess that the shaper can use his "powers" to fly over places that don't have angry monsters in them.

For the shops running out of money, I don't find that unrealistic. In fact, I find it realistic. I mean, thinking about a shop in real life, it has its limits on cash.

[/QB]

Yeah, but its not as though you're the only person who buys from them. Maybe they might slowly get more money over time from other clients...?

OK, Geneforge 2 is messed up. WHEN YOU ARE TRADING WITH A MERCHANT, AS LONG AS YOUR ITEM YOU WANT TO SELL IS WORTH 1 OR MORE GOLD AND THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AND YOU ARE WILLING TO SELL, THEY WILL ALWAYS BUY IT FROM YOU. Mindlessly, not caring if it is pair of sandals or whatever. They are such fools. Why can't they be smarter, like only buy your really good items eg. crystalline plate, shapers robe, agents robe, reaper batons etc. etc. etc.

• 1 month later...

I did not read through this whole topic, so if I am repeating sorry.

1. I wish your character and creations would NOT STOP when they are moving and take non-combat damage. If you want to make them pause for the hit (the hit animation) that is fine and I think it should be that way, but then keep going.

2. Don't auto select characters and creations. If I select my character only, don't auto reselect all party members when I am done opening a chest or talking to someone.

I havn't read the entire poll, so forgive me if I parrot other people's suggestions. Anyhow, I thought

of some possible improvements for GF3 and a possible BOG.

1:Have more creation slots than just 7

2:Have clawbugs and plated bugs have armor and poison, it says they do in the description!

3:Show resistances for fire, energy, and hostile effect.

4:Make some good hostile effect resistance items.

5:For BOG, not for GF3, maybe there should be the old exile type of dialog. (Avernum diolaug has infinant bugs and is impossible to program.)

6:2-handed weapons and dual wield weapons.

7:Fix some special boost related issues. IE: at the start of the game, I start with a level of fyora. Assume i can pay Tyallea. Now, I look in her journal i get a fyora level, and she can't train me. But, if I train with her first and then get the journal, i can get Cryoras.

8:Somehow get some skills for creations, like parry, quick action. Etc.

9:Dont shar XP with creations. IE at start if i killed a rat by myself i would get 120. If i had a creation, I would get 74. I think all members should get the 120.

Well, thats all I have to say.

Quote:
1) It makes sense. Your creations do not have a real mind of their own. They will not want to go somewhere that will hurt them. You have to constantly direct them to make them go.
I would accept this if creations did not walk into danger (acid pools, fire pits) on there own and then once hit just stand there until they are dead. For instance if there was a hallway with a fire pit covering half, and I told a creation to walk from one end of the hallway to the other, the way it is now they will walk right over the fire, stop and just stand there taking damage. Now, if they used that mind of there own a little and walked around the fire and to make them go on it I had to click right on the fire, then I might agree with you. If they stop like they do, they will die. If they would go where I tell them they would live. If I am in control of them they should trust me more. I should be able to convey to them "ok, this might hurt, but it mill hurt more if you don't listen."

Not to mention my character, who does not have a mind of his own, does the same thing. "Walkin' down a hallway la la la. Oh whats that? It looks like fire (as he walks right onto it). Gee it is fire. You know its kind of hot. I better just stand here like a retard until I'm dead."

Quote:
Originally written by The1Kobra:

4:Make some good hostile effect resistance items.
I don't think you understand hostile effect resistance - it means resistance to every hostile effect, like fire, acid, stun, etc.
Quote:

(Avernum diolaug has infinant bugs and is impossible to program.)
Liar. :p
Quote:

8:Somehow get some skills for creations, like parry, quick action. Etc.
This sort of happens - but not for creations.

I know that I recieve less (And in some cases more.) damage with certain items equipped. Thing is, I would sometimes like it to display certain resistances which it doesnt Show. (I would also like to see resistances for creations.) (Speaking of which, shouldn't certain creations be resistant to certain things. Like drayks to fire, cryodrayks to ice etc)

And about the dialog...

I think it would be easier to program the exile system than the averum system. Also, ive heard alot about how BOA has SO many bugs. I just think the exile dialog system would be more convenient.

Creation skills:

Ok, that was a dumb suggestion....

BoA dialogue is surprisingly bug-free, from what I've done so far. And while BoA has a fair number of bugs, it is certainly no worse than BoE, since it contains also a fair number of workarounds.

Since GF3 is apparently entering beta, I think this thread has outlived its usefulness (assuming that it had any to begin with).

First off, I can't believe this topic is still in it's half-life. Having said that, I think a lot of things should change, however, I would be happy with one improvement, or possibly, just the awnser to this question: Why is it that Fire Shaping has: A Fyora. Thats sensical, it breaths fire, it's red. A Cryoa: It breaths ice, it's blue. I'm a little bit confused. A Roamer: It breaths acid. Huh? A PyroRoamer: It explodes. Ohhh okay. A Drayk: It is a lizard of fiery doom. Thats fine. A CryoDrayk: ??????????????????????????????????????????

A Drakon: Breaths fire. A Ur-Drakon: Breaths fire. I'm sorry Jeff, but after the original concept (which to me reminds me of the Vahnatai from Exile) you are an uncreative lump of poo.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure? confused

I thought crystals were used a shaper only items. I seem to recall a dialoge box somewhere (I think in one of the beginning stages) saying "There are two crystals. Shapers infused these gems with deadly power, only for magician use only" or something like that. I thought outsiders generally didn't use them.

i believe that there should be a way to make other creations like guardian drakons and other things. Say like a merc camp i could live with that. But what bugs me is why cant you make serviles? confused I meen like they where probably the first type of creation made. Its like why cant you make a servile caster hmm?! Or a ornk? Come on i mean like the ornk could be the perfect pack horse!

yes,i find inner gazak uss,abit too challenging,my guardian is level 35,and can cause over 300 damage with one attack (thanks to quick action),ive beaten bot hthe rotting demon,learned pinner,and the bound one,yet still i fail at every try with inner gazak uss,i feel offended that only something like a shaper could get through inner gazak uss,the whole bloody place is filled with eyebeasts!and tis impossible to defeat those things,even with a three strike ability per turn

in geneforge 3,id also like to see the abiltiy to make creatiosn that can atleast open doors for you and carry one item to and fro,and another thing,id liek to see the limit on different creation types in your party erased,i had just enough essence to create a gazer and it wouldnt let me because of that limit

blah,im a member here just like anyone else,and who cares if i make abunch of short posts,its not like runescape forums where everything goes to hell if a person posts too much,its not like my posts push anyone else`s to oblivion,so put a sock in it,im not going to take this from you or anyone else

ye,i agree with ya,but may famine and fire rain on my enemys! lol,anyways,i need help with inner gazak-uss,im stuck just near the drakon master`s chamber,and east from the slimelord,i cant afford to go west since i cant defeat three eyebeasts at once,i dont have anything to work with ceapt level 3 blessing magic and 4 essence pods,and a party of 6,i cant bear any casualtys,i do have one thing that can stop eyebeasts,given a little luck,its the stun blade,it`s damage type is stun touch{damage 6-30} i can subdue only one eyebeast at a time wit hthat,so i need some help,and suggestions on how to beat the drakon master,my party consists of alpha hyrk,heust blade,freindly rat,abandoned vlish,huge roamer(level 32,very nice,403 health),and a cryodrayk of my own creation,any hints or helping ideas?

You mentioned that you're using a level-39 Guardian, didn't you? For IGU, that's on the low side. If there's anything else in the game that you can do to earn more experience and haven't done yet, do it first.

You might also consider using a weapon that does better damage, so you can actually kill your opponents efficiently instead of stunning one at a time.