I'm recycling this thread. Again.

Xoid

Consider this extract from the Blades of Avernum Editor Appendices:

Quote:
void set_state(short new_state) - Changes the state of the script to new_state and immediately stops running the script. Has no effect in a dialogue script or in the states INIT_STATE, DEAD_STATE, or other predefined state types (except START_STATE).

void set_state_continue(short new_state) - Exactly like set_state, except that it doesn’t stop running the script.

Now that seems all well and good, but the script that I have been working with over the last two days says otherwise.

The following code worked with my script. Am I missing something here, or is this delightful occurance another one of the esteemed Mr. Vogel's "undocumented features"?

Code:
beginstate SEARCH_STATE;	set_state_continue(3);break;
If this is not a bug, then I am begining to believe the documentation has more information incorrect than it has right.

If this is a bug, I would prefer that it not get fixed: this functionality can save me plenty of trouble.

Yeah; the documentation is really misleading about what the difference actually is between set_state and set_state_continue. As far as I'm aware, set_state_continue working regardless of the state it's called in is correct behaviour. I'm not actually sure when you'd ever need or want to use set_state instead of set_state_continue.

Damn you Vogel, can you get anything right? G768.bmp - the ladder graphic has 3 off-white pixels.

[Asbestos suit]

Really, I thought that this sort of incompetence was the realm of the lesser artists within the community's custom graphics department.

And with that, I've probably alienated at least some the community's custom graphics department. For those who persist in using JPEG's, I have two words: LOSSLESS JPEG. I am ever so tired of having to white out pixels.

[/Asbestos suit]

We've had the discussion about lossless JPEG before. The JPEG 2000 standard (which supports lossless compression) isn't well-supported, and regular JPEG at 100% quality isn't lossless. Just say no to JPEG.

GIF is hardly better, though, especially if your image editor spontaneously decides to use dithering to turn a perfectly good white background into a mess of white and pale grey. PNG is the way of the future.

Two bits of miscellaneous garbage first:

(1) I just realised that I'd probably have half my current post count if the forums came with a 'Bump Thread' facility. Said facility would be more othan abuse than not though.

(2) I thought passwords were supposed to be case sensitive? UBB didn't seem to care when I wrote all lower case, though. I tried twice just to be certain.

Now, to my actual question... which of the following two quoted pieces of information is correct?

Quote:
From the Blades Of Avernum Scenario Editor Instructions:

Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199.

Quote:
From Dealing with the Dead's tbasedlg.txt:

// This is the dialogue for this town.

// You can use states numbered from 1 to 199.

I notice that Kelandon's Bahssikava says from the same thing, but 'from 1 to 99'. I have the very strong feeling that the official documentation is actually right for a change. And what Jeff wrote in tbasedlg.txt erroneously mentioned states, instead of nodes.

Or am I confused here? Are both correct and you can have nodes from 0 to 199, but a particular node's state can only range from 1 to 199?

You can use up to 199, though I'm surprised if you actually have a use for that many nodes, since as far as I know, the longest dialog script anyone has actually used yet was around 90 nodes.

As far as I know, the state can be any positive integer within reason.

'Dealing with the Dead' ? That just has an odd ring to it.

Quote:
Originally written by Niemand:
You can use up to 199, though I'm surprised if you actually have a use for that many nodes, since as far as I know, the longest dialog script anyone has actually used yet was around 90 nodes.
I'm pretty sure I used well over a hundred nodes in Grimson in Backwater Calls and I wasn't even trying. So I'm pretty sure I'll be crying about how there aren't enough nodes allowed per town in the future.

Does BoA hate me, or something? I've tried:

• make_town_hostile();
  • set_crime_tolerance(1);

THEN Committing murder.

THEN Committing theft.

change_crime_level(2);

• set_town_status(current_town(),2);

In every case, town_status(current_town()); has only returned a zero.

sigh.

This one is just ****ting me.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
The town_status() call is partially broken. You have to call town_status(-1) to return the status of the current town, and you can't use it to return the status of a town that the party isn't currently in.
Unless you use town_status(-1) while outdoors, in which case it returns the status of the last town you were in.