Does anybody use Pyroroamers?

In the original games there was an exploit where you sent out pytotoamers and then absorbed the creation so it would intentionally explode. You could do it to a friendly creation and not have it count as an attack that would turn the area hostile. Also if you were far enough away from combat you could quickly exit combat and replace them to send the new ones into a fight.

They're way better in Mutagen simply by virtue of creations no longer levelling up from exp. On torment I was struggling with this one fight where as soon as you open up a gate a bunch of ghosts spawn in and immediately attack. Then I tried just siccing a bunch of pyroroamers at them and the chain-death explosions took out pretty much all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 9:21 PM, Mechalibur said:

They're way better in Mutagen simply by virtue of creations no longer levelling up from exp. On torment I was struggling with this one fight where as soon as you open up a gate a bunch of ghosts spawn in and immediately attack. Then I tried just siccing a bunch of pyroroamers at them and the chain-death explosions took out pretty much all of them.

I think I had to do something similar in Normal, if I remember the area correct. I also did that on the bridge. Perhaps once or twice more. 

• 1 month later...

I've just started playing this last week, reminded about the release by a Spiderweb email about the next one's Kickstarter.

I fought the Cockatrice very early, and the only way I could find to beat it was to open with Searer and then have Unstable Thahds pounce on it, killing it in one turn and then having my Shaper run for his life from the Battle Alphas. That got me thinking that unstable creations could be useful for excessively powerful enemies, and since I then decided to bee-line straight for the endgame area at level 10–12 for the Cockatrice Research, I figured I'd need that trick a lot and that Pyroroamers would be an upgraded way to do it.

So I did use them quite a bit, though I'm doubting they were worth using over Unstable Thahds. I haven't compared the damage output, but the Thahd's ability to leap is really valuable for getting that damage safely onto the enemies and not onto my Shaper. Pyroroamers got me killed a lot, unfortunately. [EDIT: how did I miss that Pyroroamers have a leap too?!] I also liked the idea of Belchblast as an especially powerful cone attack, but the low level and volatile fragility of Pyroroamers means it rarely felt worth using them for anything but immediate suicide.

In the end, a brief detour to steal a Glaahk canister from Diarazad gave me a better way of handling things. If stealth failed I'd take enemies one by one and stun lock them with two Ur-Glaahks.

On 12/25/2022 at 7:21 PM, Mechalibur said:

On torment I was struggling with this one fight where as soon as you open up a gate a bunch of ghosts spawn in and immediately attack. Then I tried just siccing a bunch of pyroroamers at them and the chain-death explosions took out pretty much all of them.

If this is the crypt entrance in Diarazad, I just fought that a few minutes ago! I wish I'd thought of going back to unstable creations for it, that would've made my life a lot easier. : )

Edited by Elyssaen

• 11 months later...

They can be useful against turrets or other stationary mobs, Especially if you give them the leap to target and exploding boils trait. Though mostly I prefer the volatile thahd as they tend to have more HP and be a higher level.

Edited by Kennedy