G5 - I kind of don't want to do this final fight (spoilers)

Chopkinsca

I'm with the shapers, so my final task is to take down Ghaldring in Gazaki-uss. I made it to his inner dome or whatever and just feel overwhelmed. I assume I'm supposed to clear the outer 'ring' of the room. I feel like I can't take down the creations on the edges. My party has done great up to this point, but now I feel like it isn't enough. I have a lone Kyshakk for my front line. It can take some damage, but isn't robust enough when I have 2 Drakons, and Eye Beast and a Rotgroth on it. I'm just wondering if there is anything wrong with my assumptions on what I need to do here. Gentle tips are welcome.

I feel like at this point, I want the game to be over. I just wouldn't feel right coming all this way to give up right at the end. The idea of lowering the difficulty has been in my head. Unless I'm seeing it wrong, this fight/section/encounter goes against what I enjoy. To be fair, I've felt this way on things earlier in the game and ended up finding a different (and super cool) way to get things done.

Thanks for reading whatever this is. I feel a bit sad at this point, no more new Geneforge for me to experience. Just small slices of opposite paths that I didn't take in this run.

Going around the outer edge to clear some creations is a useful idea. 

Some creations can be recruited from the corner rooms with enough leadership.

This is a scripted fight so there is an order to the attacks to position yourself against the attacks. 

It has been years since I did this and I remember having difficulty getting through this fight on my first few attempts. It's a balance between doing damage and keeping healed to make it through all the waves of attacks.

Edit - Looking at the Item List for that zone, there are a few other things you can do if you have enough living tools and can get around the zone.

Lure the enemy creations back to Astoria and she can help enormously with her aura of flames. Luring them to the trio at the entrance is also viable. Once the Drakons around the edge are dealt with, Greta is dead, and the back exit is crumbled, talk to Astoria to begin the final battle.   Give Ghaldring all you got and retreat to heal periodically.  He should go down eventually.   

Edited by Superdeath25

What type of character do you have? As a Shaper, 2 Wartralls, 2 Gazers and 2 Drakons, especially with the right artifacts, would be more than enough. The dozen or so creations you get control of, certainly helps. I managed to kill the bosses without much difficulty and without losing any of my core creations. 

To be fair, at that point I had 7 creations (I had my cryora from the start of the game) and like 10-12 controlled creations from the corners. I was on top of at the very least 15 creations, perhaps as many as 20. A Shaper should not be able to control 20 top tier creations at the same time in such difficult situations. 

I was playing a Shaper. My creation lineup was quite weak, but it worked fine right up to this final point. I was also playing with the idea that I wanted to keeping creations instead of treating them as disposable, so I got attached to them. I had a Kyshakk as my leader. The rest were a Roamer, 2 Drayks, a Cyrodrayk and then 2 cryoras. Not end game tier creations at all.

I ended up lowering the difficulty and getting it done. Now I know how it all works and I still have my save from before lowering the difficulty. If I ever retry, I would remake my creation lineup. For now though, I need a break (and will get a forced break from any gaming, due to Christmas). It was a great end to the Geneforge saga and I look forward to replaying the games again in different ways.

A little late, but a long ago iirc.  After you clear the outer perimeter, on the outer edge of the inner circle there are four power generators (?).  With a little care you can move around & stand at the far edge of spell range & nibble away at them/eventually take them out.  Doing so will greatly reduce the difficulty/duration of the final, final battle.

I'll probably end up doing this fight on a harder difficulty sometime in the future. I remember hating the Monarch section of G4 the first time. The second and third time went a lot smoothing. Knowing kind of what to do helps. So does actually paying attention to what people say helps too. 

Probably onlyone person cares, but I'm back to Geneforge 1, not the remake either. I never played a guardian in any of the games, so I'm giving that a go. It is cool how different it plays. I thought it would be boring, but it is quite a fun one. I like how certain areas are difficult depending on what kind of character you are playing. But you guys already know that, it's one of the trademarks of the series.

4 hours ago, alhoon said:

It doesn't have to... 🧐

Although, it would take admittedly some time to make a mod that adds a decent amount of post-Ghaldring content.

I think they mean that right when you kill Ghaldring it goes straight to the ending story screens thing.

I always do Guardian, though the Servile is appealing in the last two games.  I don't trust creations due to how they can go rogue and kill you (and I prefer to kill the enemies myself) but I like having healing spells.  In harder sections, learn to isolate stronger enemies and kill them quickly apart from other enemies.  Getting mobbed is a sure way to die.  One of the hardest parts about Guardians is learning when to unleash their power and when to fall back to a safer position to heal up.  It is easy to get overconfident and thrust yourself into unwinnable situations if you aren't careful

Edited by Superdeath25

6 hours ago, Vinlie said:

I'm a very big fan of min-maxing in any kind of game. I always play Guardian and usually by the end I can make my Guardian some kind of a Demigod. 

I can totally see that happening. I don't know the series enough to be able to min/max yet. I haven't even finished any on the hardest difficulty yet.

From my recent experience in G1, and starting G2, a solo-guardian's weakness seems to be anything that can stun or slow. Vlish can be a pain.