Blazing Dragons - Dragon names?

Well, "mot" is a "pithy or witty saying" and "rax" means "stretch". It's pretty fitting considering that Motrax is a wise dragon that talks at length. Aside from stretching out conversation, he's also old so his lifespan is stretched out as well. If the name wasn't intentional, it's a nice coincidence.

And maybe Khoth is inspired by the Egyptian God Thoth. In Avernum 1, Khoth is a dragon scholar whose lair is an immense library. You have to return a stolen scroll to him as one of the quests. In Egyptian mythology, among other things Thoth is the scribe of the Gods and credited with inventing writing, along with science and magic. So his name makes sense for a knowledge hoarding dragon.

Mot-rax is a stretch. That kind of complicated name-building is not something that shows up anywhere else, even once, in SW games. There are a surprising number of hits for "Motrax" on google, though. What stands out to me is a motorcycle/supply company called Motrax. I believe Shirley had a motorcycle at the time Exile I was written. There is also a "Titan-verse" wiki that lists a dragon named Motrax, and is based on some comics from the 1970's, but I can't tell how much of it (if any) was around in the 70's and how much stems from online communities.

Khoth's name being inspired by Thoth sounds plausible. It would fit with the antiquity-sounding aspect of Athron's name, too.

Yeah. The vast majority of names in SW games seem to be either lifted directly from a name in another source, or lifted with a one-letter alteration.

Tolkien actually had a dragon ending in -ax: Chrysophylax Dives.

But wait. I did some digging. Dragonlance had a Khisanth (and a Khirsah, and a Hopsloth), a Pyros (and a Pyrothraxus, and a Pyrite), a Malystryx (and a Mohrlex, and a Smeltithraxian known for befriending humans), as well as a group of dragons called Othlorx or "the Uninvolved." It also had "five great overlords" amongst the dragons. This could be a coincidence, or it might be an actual influence. It would have been very hard to play both PnP RPGs and CRPGs in the late 80's and early 90's without encountering Dragonlance.

Yeah. The vast majority of names in SW games seem to be either lifted directly from a name in another source, or lifted with a one-letter alteration.

Tolkien actually had a dragon ending in -ax: Chrysophylax Dives.

But wait. I did some digging. Dragonlance had a Khisanth (and a Khirsah, and a Hopsloth), a Pyros (and a Pyrothraxus, and a Pyrite), a Malystryx (and a Mohrlex, and a Smeltithraxian known for befriending humans), as well as a group of dragons called Othlorx or "the Uninvolved." It also had "five great overlords" amongst the dragons. This could be a coincidence, or it might be an actual influence. It would have been very hard to play both PnP RPGs and CRPGs in the late 80's and early 90's without encountering Dragonlance.

Exile predates the addition of Malystryx and the other dragon overlords to the Dragonlance canon.

Thanks. Malystryx is the only overlord listed; I take it the other names are pre-Exile?

I had to look most of these up on the Dragonlance wiki, as some are from books I haven't read in at least 15 years, and some are from books I never read at all. Khisanth, Khirsah, Hopsloth, and Pyrite all appear in books published in the 80s, so they definitely predate Exile. Pyrothraxus, Malystryx, Mohrlex, Smeltithraxian, and the concept of the five dragon overlords are not mentioned until the late 90s, so those names would not have influenced Jeff. The Othlorx are first mentioned in a book of short stories published in 1994, so it is theoretically possible but unlikely for Jeff to have seen the the name.