A:EftP - Steam achievements

I was inspecting the achievements for Avernum - escape from the pit on steam and noticed that from all the people who own the game only 5 - 6% have completed the game on any of the three victory conditions. I wonder, why is that? The story is very good, you want to see how it ends. Given, its a long journey there but its worth it! http://steamcommunity.com/stats/AvernumEscapeFromthePit/achievements/

On Civ V, which has been around for a fairly long time now, most of the basic victories (domination, space) are at around 25% achieved. It appears that a lot of people buy games on Steam and then just never play them much.

few bucks bundles sales few times per year and ppls buy those cause they are cheap and then never bother to play those or play only a little.

I can attest that it's pretty common for people to pick up games in steam sales for cheap, and then never playing them, or just a little before moving on to the next thing.

And then there are those that spend their whole time trying different characters and things, but never actually reach the end. For instance, I've spent a lot of time in Skyrim just trying out different mods, haha!

Or they get through a different method than steam and their victories aren't recorded by steam

while steam will not record you as having earned an achievement if you don't have the game through steam, it will also not record you as not having earned the achievement

having said that it's plausible that people who obtain the game through channels other than steam have a higher completion rate. spiderweb's website is both less visible to most people and more expensive than buying through steam, so you might expect players who choose to buy the game directly from SW to be more specifically interested in spiderweb and more likely to finish their games

I am not sure that I ever finished Ultima III (I did finish II and IV), and I know that I never finished the majority of the games that I was playing at that point in my life. Now I have far fewer games, so I finish more of them. Crusader Kings will never reflect very many achievements for me because I do not play it in iron man mode and that is the only way to get steam achievements. I agree with Lilith that those of us who have purchased the games directly from SW to be more likely to finish (after all, we have already lost our sanity).

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I've played for over 100 hours and I haven't achieved any of the three victory goals. Just because I love the setting, the environment and searching around for optional quests. The game is fantastic and I can't wait for Avernum 2 tomorrow! Day one purchase for me! ...But I guess that means I'll have to stop dillydallying and get around to completing the quest.

Honestly, I've played for over 100 hours and I haven't achieved any of the three victory goals. Just because I love the setting, the environment and searching around for optional quests. The game is fantastic and I can't wait for Avernum 2 tomorrow! Day one purchase for me! ...But I guess that means I'll have to stop dillydallying and get around to completing the quest.

I'm having trouble imagining this. I beat the game twice (once on normal, once on torment), and even after exhaustively doing every quest, the playthroughs were about 60 hours each. What's going on in those other 40 hours? o_o

I'm having trouble imagining this. I beat the game twice (once on normal, once on torment), and even after exhaustively doing every quest, the playthroughs were about 60 hours each. What's going on in those other 40 hours? o_o

I spent a lot of time just reading and wandering around the map looking for caches. Also I'm a somewhat slow reader :p

spiderweb's website is both less visible to most people and more expensive than buying through steam

if you live in europe, the games are more expensive on steam, since it uses an unfair 1:1 conversion rate for euro, so crystal souls for example ends up costing about 23-24 usd.

if you can only get the game with euro, gog is a much better alternative since it has correct exchange rates.

if you live in europe, the games are more expensive on steam, since it uses an unfair 1:1 conversion rate for euro, so crystal souls for example ends up costing about 23-24 usd.

if you can only get the game with euro, gog is a much better alternative since it has correct exchange rates.

I got Crystal souls from Steam on the launch day. Cost me only 17€