So are we really dying now?

BainIhrno

Yes, yes, it's been asked a million times now, but after reading Shyguy's message at the Lyceum, it seems true that no one comes to the Lyceum much.

Thing is, I'm working on a scenario, and I want to finish it. But is it worth it? Seeing that few come to the Lyceum, I may not be able to get enough testers for my scenario, and not enough people will review it, heck, I don't know if they'd want to play it?

So, the question - I asked it at the Lyceum without an answer (yet), so I'm coming here - Should I make another scenario? Will anyone want to play it if I finish it?

Eh the lyceum tends to be a slower board in some respects because people tend to only discuss more well serious and game related stuff. Take a look at the Beta Call For Canopy topic in the BoA forum- there are tons of people that are willing to test for you. Indeed most of them are new but the interest is there- I would say go for it and don't talk about it too much. wink

Copied from my Lyceum post:

BoE will only die if those of us who love it let it die. If you abandon your scenarios, it will die sooner. (or more likely, it will go on in spite of your abandonment) But I still think you should keep working on your scenarios. Shyguy admitted he was still going to check in every now and again (and maybe even write another scenario), he just needs a little vacation. Who can blame him after Spiderweb's insults? Sometimes a vacation is good for the soul. It helps you realize what you truly love. But Shyguy is right, in reality this game is not, and should not be the center of everyone's lives. It is a phase, a fad. Not in a bad way but in a way that a person can look back on with fond memories and perhaps share with the next generation. New players will replace the old, the inexperienced will become the veterans. So lets forget about the 'death' of BoE and instead concentrate on making today alive.

Added note: JUNE!!! I only have until June? I hope I can finish it in time.

Quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:
Yes, yes, it's been asked a million times now, but after reading Shyguy's message at the Lyceum, it seems true that no one comes to the Lyceum much.
There are still lurkers (i.e. me) who have begun watching the community, simply quiet because we don't have much to talk about here. I for one am very busy in other areas of life (relationships, trying to get my first job, senior year of school) and don't have the time required (or the will) for building a decent scenario. Yes, I am almost done with…well I've forgotten the name of it, but a scenario that's advertised on my site. (My horrible, unupdated, and pointless site.) Almost done, but I haven't worked on it in a very very long time (I don't remember the last time.) Many of the hardcore BoE fans are just getting older and having more responsibilties, rarely even playing BoE anymore (I prefer flight sims these days). The new player base is starved by BoA (though the two fields are indeed not exclusive) and there's a lack of news for BoE. (Also, a lack of stupid topics in this forum certianly adds to the atmosphere.) The only realms I have existed in are BoE, and a little dabbling awhile back in the Desp monster arena and community. I'm as good as dead, if I don't find time to start working on scenarios again. (I swore I'd finish this one, and I'll do it.)

EDIT: I realize now that this post had absolutely nothing to do with the Lyceum. Do pardon me. I suppose I could finish ummm…whatever the scenario is by June, as well as fix it up to competative quality, and enter it in the 7th. Probably won't win much. Should we let contestants from the Shark contest enter the 7th contest?

Newbies come along, maybe see a bit of a flurry of activity, then it slows down and they think BoE is dying. People have been saying "BoE is dying" since I joined the Ikonboard four years ago. Ask Brett or Stareye and they'll tell you people have been saying it virtually since the start.

If there was a time to think that it was dying, it was last year. Nine scenarios were made, with only a small handful of genuine quality. This year? Much better. Compare the crop of this year with any other - not a lot of difference.

Sure, the Lyceum isn't that fast. Never has been. But it's faster now than it has been in the past. It still continues on, being helpful, doing it's job. We ain't dying - this is normal speed.

It ain't slowing immediately- but scenario development has crawled to a standstill in recent years. There are two things that I really see as hurting BoE- namely, Stareye and (forgive me for saying) myself making the switch. I'll agree that BoE wasn't dying before- hell, a rennaisance occured shortly after I arrived. But with BoA, I'm not so sure anymore.

I've asked this in the BoA Forums with no reply: Is Jeff adding the requested features to BoA?

This is the crux of the biscuit to me. If Jeff treast BoA the way he treats BoE, I'm done.

I can't see investing the time and energy into another dead product.

Look at NeverWinter Nights - great support, they listen to scenario developers, new scenarios all the time, a huge player base, up-to-date 3D technologies, and it costs only a few $$$ more than BoA. IMO, this is a no brainer.

I'll continue to play BoE as long as there are any decent new scenarios... But also BoA. Why do I play BoE? I still don't like BoA's graphics as much, and some other things related to the Avernum engine.

For me, Neverwinter Nights would cost over twice as much as BoA did. Then there are the expansions and modules. (I once ordered a Baldur's Gate expansion from MacPlay for 50 dollars - even the shipping cost more than Spiderweb's - and I never even got the game. From Spiderweb I have got every game I ordered, this also affects my opinions... Also, my computer is 3 years old and Neverwinter Nights would probably be very slow on it.)

Not that I'm selling NWN, but they recently released a new edition that combines the engine and all commercial scenarios to date for ~$40 US.

New scenarios they are working on for a mid-Nov release will cost between $10-15 US.

Add to that the hundreds of free scenarios out there, and I don't see how NWN would cost you 2X as much as BoA, unless you are not in the US? Then it makes sense.

Even at 2X the price, to get a game that isn't abandoned by its developer and has a future is worth it, IMO.

You can also try e-Bay for good discounts.

From Bioware:

Is the NWN Aurora Toolset coming out for the Mac version of Neverwinter Nights?

No. Our initial goal was to create a cross platform toolset for the gaming community. However, we have encountered difficulty in obtaining a viable cross-platform solution to assist us in porting the Aurora Neverwinter Toolset. As such, BioWare has no plans to create Mac or Linux versions of the Aurora Neverwinter Toolset at this time.