An Exile/Avernum art project... A little help?

Necris Omega

Blessed Athame looks painful to grasp

I will love to stab someone with the Athame, It's really great.

The Blessed Athame is described as being all of 2" long - whether that's the blade or the whole thing, either way we're talking a tiny, tiny little ceremonial knife. Given that, I couldn't help but picture it being used more like a piece of chalk than a traditional dagger.

I suppose you could still stab someone with it, but as the presentation has always gone, we're definitely not talking about an article of combat here. A stylus or maybe an etching tool, and I sometimes pictured it as scalpel-like, but at 2" this wouldn't even make that great of a butter knife.

Boocoos cool!!

The Athame is perfect. Smite ... I dunno. The hammer head is a bit small, to my taste.

Thank you both - with Smite I actually made the head even larger on the second revision as seen here. I'm not sure the head is small so much that the haft is a little short. I didn't want to make it long enough as to suggest it needed two hands to use, but perhaps more would have been better.

I know hardly anything about medieval weaponry, but I got the impression that pole arms were longer than this, relative to the size of the blade. Though maybe that's just one giant blade.

Although I have to say I'm not too sure about the Jade Halberd's design; primarily because what you have there is a glaive or guan dao, not a halberd.

I feel I need to address comments like these.

Look at the standing art from the original Avernum all the way up to the remake. Those swords in the first incarnation have no hard basis in reality - you might make some "enlarged kurki" argument, but those are clearly Avernum swords, not European Broadswords or anything else you'd find at Renaissance Fair.

Meanwhile, the heads on those halberds the Empire Guards are using in the intro art in A:EftP? Those are huge compared to realistic models. Maybe these guards are just 6'+, but they also read as comparably short compared to real halberds. That said, none of these facts even remotely detract from the art in question, work that's head and shoulders above anything I could hope to produce.

Ultimately, I'm being an artist here, not a historian. Yes, I will use realistic models and descriptions as a basis the art here, but only as a guideline. If it fits the concept, I'll blend different styles and cultures. I'll generalize similar weapon types, especially if I'm hardly the first person to do so. These designs aren't meant to be a hard-fast history study - they're meant to be a celebration of Avernum.

Look at it this way - Minus the very first game, I play all Slithzerkai and Nephilim. For me these things end up in the paws of anthropomorphic cats and lizards 2/3s of the time. From that angle, stringent "Historical accuracy" can kiss my furry/dinosaur-esque behind.

The dagger of hate seems to me to need a slightly larger guard, or something, as a hint to scale. It's hard for me to tell that it's not a greatsword. Otherwise, it's great. Nasty-looking, but all too practical.

If that was a greatsword it would be far too wide to possibly hold with a hilt of that size. Granted, it's a very long dagger, almost a shortsword, but a greatsword would be far thinner at this scale of length.

Justice Lance is interesting...another A3 item?

Onyx Scepter is cool...having the image of the scepter in the background, behind the main image, makes it hard for me to see clearly. The main scepter image and the background image kind of runs together. :( I'd like it better if the main part of the scepter was on plain white where I could see its intricacies.

The Justice Lance is indeed an Avernum 3 thing like the Dagger of Hate. Anti-undead thing.

Eh... Honestly, there was a severe lack of enthusiasm for either of these on my part overall. The Justice Lance started out exciting, but went down hill fast, and the Onyx Scepter? Even though this is a very signature item for Avernum and Exile, I just never felt particularly inspired while working on it.

If I go back and redo these at any point, that one will definitely be on my list.

Yeah, these are worthy additions. The lance looks like an effective weapon that's just a bit spooky. The head of the scepter has a subtly sinister look. It's nothing that would be out of place in the throne room of a major power, but yet somehow you know you wouldn't really want to be a citizen of the kingdom with that regalia.

• 3 months later...

I think the Jade Halberd looks fantastic, it and Demonslayer are my favorites.

I have always been confused about how being made of a green mineral allowed it to acid things though. :confused:

Because acid is green, obviously (except when it isn't, but this halberd only drips green acid).