Avadon Android Profit

Krovlar

I am very interested to know how well Avadon did on Android. I know it probably didn't make as much money as it did on iOS or PC/Mac, and I'm not trying to say "Make all your games Android compatible!" (I would not discourage that though). I also know companies don't really give out financial information when they don't have to. I am just really interested in RPG sales for Android.

The reason I am so interested is because, while Android does have higher piracy rates than iOS, I see more dorks (myself included) using Android. That seems like the perfect market for old school RPGs, and yet aside from a few Japanese style RPGs and Avadon, there really isn't much in the way of old school RPG on the platform. I guess, in the end, I'm wondering if anyone (working for Spiderweb or not) has heard anything on the profitability of Avadon on Android. I already read Bottom Feeder, so I know Mr. Vogel said they probably won't be porting to Android again unless they get help, but again I'm just looking for profitability (not compared to other platforms, just in general).

Thanks.

Jeff seldom reads this forum and isn't likely to give out exact sales figures any time soon, but my impression is that the Android port produced a lot more headaches and a lot less sales than the iOS version. From what I've gathered by talking to other developers, it doesn't help that one of the big marketing draws of Android in the first place is "lots of free stuff!!", so it's a bigger hurdle to get Android users to shell out money in the first place.

Also, it's sort of pointless to talk about "profitability in general" unless you consider the opportunity cost. If the total time spent arranging for a port and supporting the Android version delays the release of the next new game by a couple of months in addition to the cost of hiring people to do the port in the first place, how much profit do you have to make for that to be worth it?

The fact that Jeff didn't have to port the game himself is the only reason that the Android and Linux versions got made. Now that he is doing the iPad version it is taking longer for new games to be released.

Jeff's going to need a significant sales increase to justify making the games available on the Android platform.

While I am an Android user who would never consider an iphone or ipad, I would also probably only play the games on my PC anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think Steam does a whole lot more to reach a wide audience than Android would.

Not to mention, while there are more Android phone users than iOs, wasn't the port largely for tablet devices, where Apple has a bigger market share?

I understand that we would need to consider dozens of things regarding the profitability of Spiderweb Software and Android, but I was thinking more "is it feasible for a team of two to make only Android games and make a living", not specifically Spiderweb or anything.

As to dave s, yes the iPad has the largest market share with tablets, but that is quickly changing. Mostly due to the Kindle Fire actually. Also, I agree that Steam and PC reach a much bigger audience than Android, but by the same token Shooters reach a much bigger audience than RPGs. Doesn't mean some companies won't choose the RPG route. If there is an exploitable niche, someone will take it and survive there (hopefully).

Thanks for the comments so far guys.

I'm afraid that it did not do well. Certainly not enough to justify the considerable hassle of dealing with the platform. I wish I had better news. frown

At this point, we would do more Android ports through Humble Bundle, should they ever show interest, but definitely not on our own.

- Jeff Vogel

Thanks for all the replies, especially Mr. Vogel. It is sad that it isn't more profitable even as a niche. It seems so perfect. As for wanting small, bite sized games I would agree to a degree, but you must also consider portable gaming platforms like PS Vita and 3DS. Sure, many of those games are drop in/drop out quick games, but they also have very deep experiences. The control scheme on Tablets and Phones is the main issue, but an old school RPG on a tablet controls remarkably well. Well enough that I switched from playing Avadon on my PC to exclusively playing it on my tablet.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
most ppls seek quick to play games to tablets and rpgs like AEFTP etc are time consuming and touchscreen controlling isn't as good as mouse.

I'm playing it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I can't find nothing wrong with the controls , they works well , are easy to use and comfortable ...

Originally Posted By: MacDuro
Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
most ppls seek quick to play games to tablets and rpgs like AEFTP etc are time consuming and touchscreen controlling isn't as good as mouse.

I'm playing it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I can't find nothing wrong with the controls , they works well , are easy to use and comfortable ...

Purely going on the posts of tablet users on this forum, I'd say that most people would agree that the tablet is the perfect way to enjoy these games; at the very least, the touchscreen interface offers as much control as a mouse would.

Personally, I dislike playing on my iPad, and that's after playing Avadon and beta-testing A:EftP and Avernum 6. I probably won't bother applying to test for the iPad again, but I'm very aware I'm in the minority - I blame my aversion on playing SW games on the computer for many years and just being used to that. tongue