Should Jeff introduce DLC?

dave s

This seems to be a very successful business model for indie and professional companies these days. Should Jeff start producing $2-4 DLC bonus dungeons or towns for his games?

Easy enough to implement, introduce an NPC that adds a pylon to the list in Avernum, or a portal in Avadon. Give people something to do while they wait for the next game.

For DLC to be easy to implement, I think Jeff would need to adjust how he stores his data. Several categories of data are in one big file for the entire game, which is not great for DLC.

I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, I just think Jeff is unlikely to pursue it.

Basilisk Games tried with Eschalon: Book 2 to add on extra content for free and found that sales didn't increase enough with new buyers now that there was even more to the game to explore. The company decided it was a better use of time to make the next game rather than complete another new section for players.

I'd rather see a new game rather than a few more dungeons. Especially since they would have to be on level with the endgame to be a challenge unless you were required to start over each time which would be a pain.

Originally Posted By: BMA
And I doubt anyone will pay for new weapons or spells.

You'd be surprised. There's significant demand for cheats and editors, judging by posts on the forum: I think there are definitely some people who'd pay for the convenience of being able to make their characters into gods without having to manually install scripts.

dlc either adds new content between start and ending or makes new ending and in Avernums/Avadons there are alot things to do between start and ending and in Avernums it wouldn't be easy since dlc would need to add way to get to that new area due rivers etc, in Avadons its easier since its just 1 big continent.