Dragons who aren't mean.

TheMike

I've played all of Exile 1-3, Blades of Exile & Avernum, and the first bits of Avadon and Geneforge 1 on a friends computer.

One thing I've noticed in every single one of these games is that dragons tend to be gigantic jerks. Whether it's trying to eat you right when you meet, or eat you later, or imply that they'd eat you if they could or even just regarding you as something inferior that they wouldn't lower themselves in order to eat they're simply not very nice.

The single exception to this is/was Motrax(Mortrax?). I'm just wondering if there are any others I missed who weren't condescending and arrogant giant lizards.

In many works of literature as well as games, that's just the way dragons have always been. It fits well, and they just classically have that character. For Jeff to make Dragons not arrogant, he would not follow the classical dragon nature, and the games wouldn't feel as good in a immersive sense, as it is different from the idea of dragons most people are used to.

Its just the way dragons anywhere are.

Well, in terms of lifespan and power they sort of relate to humans like humans to something really low in the food-chain. Even the ones who aren't evil are, as a general rule, not good.

(As some quote on TvTropes went: "Few people mistake a noble dragon for a nice one more than once.")

Originally Posted By: Mod.
In many works of literature as well as games, that's just the way dragons have always been. It fits well, and they just classically have that character. For Jeff to make Dragons not arrogant, he would not follow the classical dragon nature, and the games wouldn't feel as good in a immersive sense, as it is different from the idea of dragons most people are used to.

Its just the way dragons anywhere are.

Only in Western mythology are dragons like that. Dragons in Eastern folklore tend to be seen as much more benevolent.

Then again, Jeff doesn't make Eastern-style RPG's, so it would be strange to expect him to use those themes in his games.

Oh I know they're supposed to be like that, I find their condescending attitudes hilarious (it also makes it much more gratifying to kill one of them) and I even understand it. After a few hundred years of tiny, quick lived things trying to kill you for your body parts or treasure you'd probably not have a very high opinion of them either. Especially when you kill thousands and thousands of them and they still keep on coming. It'd be comparable to a human dealing with a roach infestation.

I just wonder if there are any nicer ones that I haven't run across. I swear I remember freeing one in Exile 3 that wasn't completely rude.

Only Sulfras and Pyrog are hugely condescending. Khoth and Athron are just aloof, the former more from not bothering to pay attention and the later from isolationism. Motrax is quite genial most of the time, really, and a good sport about all the mages who want to study him. The one you're thinking of may be Sulfras in E/A2, who's at least a little grateful when you liberate her.

—Alorael, who suspects the humans are more terrifying. Dragons may have killed humans by the scores, or hundreds, or thousands. Humans have killed dragons by at least two... out of five, apparently.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
The Empire would of killed quite a few, that's why Motrax and crew are in the underworld.

Ahem.

Originally Posted By: Motrax
I have been down here for centuries, long before the Empire commenced their savage genocide against my kind.

and...

The Empire has never touched me, and it never will. If the other dragonsss were too weak to protect themselves, why isss it any concern of mine?

furthermore...

I will only say that I am of different breeding than them. I was born in the underworld centuries ago and came to know humansss only recently.

Pete the magic dragon?

I'm reading the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn. The dragons aren't exactly benevolent (portrayed more like animals relying on instincts), but book two ends with the protagonist learning to communicate with them and having a rather pleasant conversation. I expect book 3 to have some nice dragons and some who just want to eat the people.

Christopher Paolini wrote four books in which dragons weren't necessarily mean. There were certainly wild ones, but they weren't seen as the scourges that they are in other fictions. At least not since the war between dragons and elves that took place long before the story.

I'd call Earthsea dragons still mean. The standard is more Yevaud, who fits the marauding wyrm mold to a T.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern books have very nice dragons, but they're not quite as intelligent.

Gordon R. Dickson's series starting with The Dragon and the George have dragons who are more human than anything else. They tend towards arrogance, but at a human scale, and can be friendly enough.

—Alorael, who also realizes that D&D may have some of the most positive portrayals. Chromatic dragons are standard dangerous foes with wonderful hoards, but metallic dragons are powerful and benevolent, shading into excessive pride or paternalism depending on the writer/designer/GM.