The day identity died

Mod.

A thought occurred to me. Registration date is the only thing that a user cannot change on the forums.

Just for fun's sake, I propose that 3 days from now, all users should change their PDNs, signitures, and avatars, and attempt to identify who is actually who. Of course stick to a single new identity, and reveal who is who after the day.

there was actually a thing like this a few years ago where ash lael set up an offsite forum and held a contest where members registered new accounts on it and tried to guess which account corresponded to which SW member. i won pretty handily. i guess we could do that again maybe if anyone wants to bother setting up the forum

suggestion on how to run this if it happens: last time i won so easily because you got something like 10 points for a correct guess and lost 1 for an incorrect guess, so spamming low-confidence guesses was a viable strategy. there was also no particular penalty for having your own identity guessed, so people weren't strongly incentivised to disguise their posting style. i'd suggest the following scoring system this time:

3 points for being the first to guess another member's identity, before your own identity is guessed

2 points for being the first to guess another member's identity, after your own identity is guessed

-1 point for incorrectly guessing another member's identity

it would probably be a good idea to have a stickied thread for all identity guesses (and only identity guesses) to go in, to make keeping score easier

Originally Posted By: Lilith
suggestion on how to run this if it happens: last time i won so easily because you got something like 10 points for a correct guess and lost 1 for an incorrect guess, so spamming low-confidence guesses was a viable strategy. there was also no particular penalty for having your own identity guessed, so people weren't strongly incentivised to disguise their posting style. i'd suggest the following scoring system this time:

3 points for being the first to guess another member's identity, before your own identity is guessed

2 points for being the first to guess another member's identity, after your own identity is guessed

-1 point for incorrectly guessing another member's identity

it would probably be a good idea to have a stickied thread for all identity guesses (and only identity guesses) to go in, to make keeping score easier

+1 for this idea. If this is what we want to do, "root" can create stickied topics in General.

Also, "root" on the other site will be used for any official OoC game business and will not be used IC.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
There are some members who change titles, avatars, and PDN's on a fairly regular basis (Nikki)

I don't change my title regularly. Or at all, actually (even though it HAS changed before). Even though, I think it's always pretty obvious who I am.

The current score:

Name / Score / Guesses

Artillery (Cairo Jim) / 4 / 3

An Owl Mistake (Lilith) / 3 / 4

Billy Bob / 3 / 1

Loyal Shaper (Trenton) / 0 / 0

The Mystic (The Mystic) / 0 / 0

!Trenton / -2 / 2

Trenton as Loyal Shaper (+3 Artillery)

Lilith as Artillery (-1 !Trenton)

The Mystic as The Mystic (+3 Billy Bob)

Artillery as Cairo Jim (+3 An Owl Mistake)

Lilith as An Owl Mistake (+2 Artillery)

Actaeon as Pazuzu (+2 An Owl Mistake)

Dantius as Billy Bob (-1 Artillery)

Sylae as Robot Ninja (-1 An Owl Mistake)

Dantius as Ron Paul (-1 An Owl Mistake)

The Ratt as forever_geist (Pending An Owl Mistake)

MMXPERT as Robot Ninja (-1 !Trenton)

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
It looks like you forgot to subtract the last three guesses from Cairo Jim and Lilith. They should be at 4/3 and 1/3 respectively. Also, it would make sense to combine both of Trenton's accounts into one score.

Dikiyoba.

Actually, she forgot to include my correct guess of Actaeon. The score table is correct; the guess table isn't.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
There are some members who change titles, avatars, and PDN's on a fairly regular basis (Nikki), some who change PDN's on a regular basis (Alorael), and some who change signatures and avatars on a regular basis (myself, Dinti). There's really no need to go much further and canonize it.
Ooh, related question. Without refreshing this page, could people describe what my current avatar looks like? My avatar URL is always the same; I just change the symlink whenever I want to change the avatar (this was more useful when I was using the same avatar for Spiderweb, Polaris, Shadow Vale, and the Beta Testing Centre). But I probably change avatars faster than your caches update.

(For what it's worth, the Black Knight is my 'default' avatar; I just change it whenever I have a theme going.)

Back on topic: Perhaps next time we do something like this, we should have a theme for everyone to post about, instead of just random spam. The Turing Test does the same thing, albeit for different reasons.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
"Spiderweb Pie"

Good luck selling that to the masses. Neither the song nor the pastry would do well - it's only a matter of which would do worse. On the one hand, you have the fans, and on the other you have the food daredevils.

@Dintaradan, I'm seeing the same thing as Rowen is, but I think it looks more like some sort of shoggoth.

Is any one writing lyrics to an absurdly long song? The title can be "Spiderweb Pie" and each verse will segue into the chorus with "the day...identity...died." It'll be a hit, I'm sure.
Here's a possible "Spiderweb Pie" chorus:
Bye-bye to my Spiderweb Pie,
Used a Geneforge in Avernum, now I'm a new kind of guy.
And the Nethergate folks all said with a sigh,
"Hand Avadon a Heart and an Eye,
Hand Avadon a Heart and an Eye."

wink
It's supposed to (more or less) fit the chorus to "American Pie," but I'm no lyricist. If anyone with more musical talent than I (mine is somewhere near nil) wants to use this, they may.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
"Spiderweb Pie"

Good luck selling that to the masses. Neither the song nor the pastry would do well
One thing's for sure, though: The pastry will definitely stick to your ribs. wink

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
One thing's for sure, though: The pastry will definitely stick to your ribs. wink

King Micah knew Avernum had many enemies and many threats posed to it by just about everyone. He spent a good amount of time looking for threats within Avernum, as well as beyond its subterranean realms. However, he never realized how truly grave the threat of the GIFTS were until he lost an army division who had been given free pies by their friendly cave denizen neighbors. And you thought their high-pitched voices were their greatest weapon?

Now every year around this time we commemorate the loss of those brave Avernites by barbecuing ribeye cave cow steak, in memoriam.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Ooh, related question. Without refreshing this page, could people describe what my current avatar looks like? My avatar URL is always the same; I just change the symlink whenever I want to change the avatar (this was more useful when I was using the same avatar for Spiderweb, Polaris, Shadow Vale, and the Beta Testing Centre). But I probably change avatars faster than your caches update.

it looks like a beholder made out of broccoli