A:EftP - Adze haakai hint

Yup - when the pylons discharge, anybody standing next to them will either have the death curse removed, or will receive a buff that will protect them from the death curse in future rounds.

When I did this battle, I think I also had summons, so that the chance of a death curse landing on any of my PCs was reduced. That's by no means necessary, but it does give him an extra target to curse, so maybe something to bear in mind if you're struggling.

You have to be inside the magic circle when the glowing pylons around it go off or you won't be protected. It can be quite difficult to get everyone safely out of Adze's reach and into the correct circle on short notice if things go wrong, so don't be afraid to burn a couple of Return Life scrolls if you have 'em.

This fight is one that seems better in theory than the way it plays (or like it should have been play tested and refined a few more times, as it doesn't really seem to work like it's supposed to). I realized fairly quickly what you were supposed to do, but I could never really get it to work in a fool proof way. It seems like the positioning is really finnicky as sometimes I'd get the buff/removal and other times I wouldn't--even though I was in the circle at the time the crystals discharged. So I ended up just, more or less, ignoring them and positioning my magic users outside the room to pelt Hakaai with damage, while my two tanks just tried to do the best they could to distract him and do damge inside the room. My tanks died repeatedly, but as long as you have a priest with the resurrect spell (and a few energy elixirs) you'll be fine as Hakaai will ignore your casters as long as you keep one tank alive. Honestly, the fight was alot easier once I stopped worrying about the crystals.

• 1 year later...

I thought that in this fight your spell casters could pretty much camp in the circles and that it was only your fighters that were vulnerable because they need to leave the circles to attack, and then retreat back in (overcoming the slowness of being in contact with a hostile) to get the protective effect before the crystals discharged?

I just fought Adze-Haakai, nobody ever died (at the second attempt). Make sure all your chars are inside the right circle when three pilons are lit. Actually move your archer/mage there asap, that is when they receive enlightment in one circle, move in the other one (with one AP left to attack), in the farthest tiles so the tanks can position themselves in the front tiles, near the center of the room. Move the tanks in the circle when all pylons are lit, when 2 pylons are lit position them in a way that you're sure they'll get in the circle in time. I found spells that deal energy damage are very effective. Use the discipline battle frenzy if you have it, or scrolls, so that you have more freedom of movement when you need it.