Skills--My Head Hurts

I must be doing something wrong because nobody else has complained about the same situation....

I want to look at "Tool Use" for each of my characters. In previous Avernum games, it was easy to do.

In Avernum: Escape from the Pit, the "Combat" and "Magic/Misc" tabs do not appear until after I have trained a character by spending outstanding "Attribute" points. ["Tool Use" can be found on the "Magic/Misc" tab.]

How can I easily look at "Tool Use" for each character WITHOUT training the character?

Um... remember? You're only ever tossing a few points per person in there anyways. That or just train the character's stat then go into skills. This game is pretty cut and dry when it comes to stats, if you're using a melee weapon for combat you focus on STR and some END, if you're using a bow - DEX and some END, and if you're a caster INT and some END.

Kinsume and Kreador, thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted By: Kinsume
Um... remember? You're only ever tossing a few points per person in there anyways....This game is pretty cut and dry when it comes to stats, if you're using a melee weapon for combat you focus on STR and some END, if you're using a bow - DEX and some END, and if you're a caster INT and some END.

In other words...blindly work around the game's deficiencies. Sorry--don't like that approach.

The unfortunate fact: It's NOT possible to look at a character's stats when the character needs to level up.

In previous Avernum games, we could always see a character's current stats.

A real step backwards in Avernum: Escape from the Pit.... frown

Well, you can do it, it's just a little inconvenient. Invest your stat points, then tab over to the Magic/Misc tab to see your Tool Use, then go back and de-invest the stat points. Nothing you do on the training screen is finalised until you close the window.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Pressing shift-slash (the question mark character) doesn't do it for the active character?

I'm pretty sure this still brings up the training screen if you have unallotted stat/skill points, which doesn't allow you to tab over to Magic/Misc until you've raised your stats. That's his complaint, and it's a reasonable one.

I am a little confused about the perceived need to do this.

Avernums system of stats is rather trivial, why would you need to know how high any of your magic/misc skills are, before you can decide which stat to raise?

Or are you refusing to level up for an extended period of time, for some reason?

Originally Posted By: ShieTar
I am a little confused about the perceived need to do this.

Avernums system of stats is rather trivial, why would you need to know how high any of your magic/misc skills are, before you can decide which stat to raise?

Well, for Tool Use in particular, you might know that an upcoming dungeon requires 10 Tool Use to get all the treasure, and want to check your skills in order to decide whether you should buy that Tinker's Bauble now or spend the money on a spell instead.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
Well, if any of the characters are not currently ready to level up (Question Mark hasn't turned to green), you can click that character's question mark then click on the portrait of any other character to switch.

That's the easiest way to check. As long as one person isn't able to level up you can check on any of the others (without going through the level up process) just by clicking on their portrait when the stat screen is open.

The other easy way to do so (even if everyone has to level up) is to save the game (which you should be doing anyway in case you screw something up while leveling), go through the process & then reload the game.