A:EftP - Cons and glitches I've noticed so far (spoiler alert)

I've run into a few things that either don't like, or are just plain wrong.

First of all, the reputation system, without doing very many sidequests and going straight to the main questline, once you complete the mission where you kill the slith leader and kill the slith in the slith fortress, your reputation goes up to "Anonymous" (5) which is pretty ridiculous considering you just did Averum a huge favor.

The other thing I've run into, is an exploit, when you do the side quests to get the onyx scepter, and silver crown, after you return them to Sulfras and say "may I go through the gate now?" She says yes, but mine glitched out and didn't open, so I kept going to Sulfras and saying the same thing over and over again, and I kept gaining experience (unlimited XP exploit).

Assuming anybody reads this and I put it in the right section and everything (not really good at organizing on forums) could someone help me figure out how I get to Erika??

Edit: And where do I find the password or whatever for the Empire building past Sulfras called Final... Final *something*

Quote:
And where do I find the password or whatever for the Empire building past Sulfras called Final... Final *something*

The password for the Final Gauntlet comes in four parts. You have to get them from Patrick, Athron, Aimee, and Erika. I think you have to find that out from Erika before you can ask any of the others.

Originally Posted By: SlithSsschah
The other thing I've run into, is an exploit, when you do the side quests to get the onyx scepter, and silver crown, after you return them to Sulfras and say "may I go through the gate now?" She says yes, but mine glitched out and didn't open, so I kept going to Sulfras and saying the same thing over and over again, and I kept gaining experience (unlimited XP exploit).

The XP loop was reported and supposed to be removed in version 1.0.1.

Considering cons, I still think that the worst part of the game (a great game as it is) is that it starts out fairly difficult and then gradually gets easier, whereas I think it should be the other way around.

I mean, it's a good feeling to get past the first area and gain strength, but at some point, you can just waltz through Avernum and in the early game, you won't be able to hit much anything and Magic won't help much either, because you won't be past a few basic spells and Sliths are pretty tough in their fire defenses and you can't have Priests smite them all the time, because a priest might need to do some healing as well.

And as the story definitely gets more interesting over the course of the game, I think the difficulty should be slightly more consistent.

Originally Posted By: Jerakeen
I agree about the difficulty. The problem is that the designer has no way to predict in what order you'll do the later quests.

The game is significantly easier, once you level up to a minimum level. The order of quests is almost irrelevant from that point on. Bear in mind, this game is essentially a modernized version of the first RPG created by Jeff. Thankfully, one can always replay at a harder level (or create artificial roleplaying challenges to make the game more challenging at any difficulty level.)

Originally Posted By: Soul of Wit
Originally Posted By: Jerakeen
I agree about the difficulty. The problem is that the designer has no way to predict in what order you'll do the later quests.

The game is significantly easier, once you level up to a minimum level. The order of quests is almost irrelevant from that point on. Bear in mind, this game is essentially a modernized version of the first RPG created by Jeff. Thankfully, one can always replay at a harder level (or create artificial roleplaying challenges to make the game more challenging at any difficulty level.)

Of course, this is the price we pay for that wide-open world we all whined for. tongue

It's also probably the main reason Jeff doesn't make them that way anymore.

@Jerakeen: I don't think this is an open world problem, per se. The problem (somewhat alleviated in 1.01) is that there's not much of any content appropriate for levels in the 6-12 range. If it were just out of the way, poorly marked, or located in counterintuitive areas, that would be a problem with the open world.

Originally Posted By: Demseinwetter
[...] it starts out fairly difficult and then gradually gets easier [...]

Maybe the progression, both in terms of the player's strength and the difficulty, should be shallower. He could also give the player more clues about the order from the npcs, or add more 'safety valves' which block areas off until you're up to them. He did that sort of thing more and more as the series progressed. The only other solution I can see is to derate (adjust difficulty to match the player), which is a no-no imho. The late game still has those final battles, which are difficult enough for me.

On the other hand, it's pretty good the way it is. If it gets over-refined it will lose it's free feeling.

Actually, I agree with Soul of Wit, the order in which you do quests is not as relevant for the difficulty (as it also depends on your builds and party) e.g. the bleak chance to hit anything in the early game or have any valid arsenal against most monsters.

I have no problem with the too-difficult-swing-back-later idea of the dungeons, but I would only wish for slightly more consistency in difficulty. If the game stays real hard on hard difficulty, hey, no problem. But on Normal and Hard, you will suffer way more casualties in the early game. At least the Eastern Gallery, as it is the first area of the game should have slightly simpler foes.

Apart from that and to possibly get away from that difficult topic, I hate controlling the boats. Is it meant to be that way? The hardship and torment of controlling a skiff on an underground river? Because I keep bumping into the coasts or waiting for my boat to arrive, only noticing my cave navy has once again steered into a rock.

The problem is that blocking off areas until you are supposed to be ready for them does not actually reduce the amount of complaining about the difficulty level. Avadon and Avernum 6 received just as many complaints about difficulty level.

The only specific difficulty-related complaint AEFTP gets that the others didn't is the low hit chance, and that happened because Jeff made a dramatic change to the hit chance formula, that made it easier to make a failed build -- it has nothing to do with blocking off areas.

Originally Posted By: Demseinwetter
... Apart from that and to possibly get away from that difficult topic, I hate controlling the boats. Is it meant to be that way? The hardship and torment of controlling a skiff on an underground river? Because I keep bumping into the coasts or waiting for my boat to arrive, only noticing my cave navy has once again steered into a rock.

Boat navigation is pretty close to how it's always been in Jeff's games (the under the bridge part has changed.) The best way to steer is to click on a point that avoids the next obstacle in the direction you are going. This can make long trips with many obstacles quite tedious.

• 2 months later...

I'm level 10 now on normal and I've found the difficulty quite balanced so far. I've cleared the Formello area and am in Areana City, where I got my first wipe (unexpected appearance of demons while fighting Areana). My hardest fight before that was the ogre mage in the cat fortress who reduced my party to one, but I could have beaten him more easily on a second try anyway.

I might have to leave here before clearing it, but I reckon that if I do I could take on the Slith island fortress which I bailed from earlier.