Extraterrestrial Life

Actaeon

Well yeah, life may or may not be composed of cell-like things. But I'm not an astrobiologist, so I have no idea what the alternatives are.

By the way, has anyone ever done a poll to see what fields of science the spidweb members are either working in, or know the most about. I have a feeling that Math and Physics would top that poll.

Originally Posted By: VCH
By the way, has anyone ever done a poll to see what fields of science the spidweb members are either working in, or know the most about. I have a feeling that Math and Physics would top that poll.

I did a poll on Physics backgrounds, but that was about 5 years ago. It was pretty high back then. A lot of the members are not active anymore.

It may be that Life Out There doesn't have cells like Earth cells, but it's not easy to hypothesize an alternative to cell-like organization. Anything recognizably alive has to have some way of separating itself from the outside world. Anything based on aqueous solutions in an aqueous environment (or any fluids in a fluid environment) need to have some kind of envelope as the dividing line.

You could have something like rocks living in water or air, and they might not be cellular, but life even remotely like what we're used to has to be cellular in the very basic sense of being compartmentalized.

—Alorael, who still thinks physics are overrepresented. Randomizer and SoT make two, which is two more than most places! Kel can count as another half.

The community is ever changing. There are several polls that could use another round, including location (I was actually talking to Nikki about time zones), area of study, and maybe even political affiliation.

I usually count on Slarty for that, as my polls are invariably flawed.

I'm doing grad school in Ecology, or as they call it, Environmental Science. That name sucks by the way, as we already have a problem with people equating ecology with environmentalism, and now my school has made it worse frown

And SoT, I have no intention of taking that long to finish. I've picked questions that are answerable in short order. In other words juicy but low hanging plums.

I have never, not even in the deepest mists, been a physicist in any sense of the world. Basic intro-level physics classes, sure, but that's also where I stopped. I also got some quantum mechanics in there. Technically not a physics class, so my record's clean!

Andrew Miller was another lawyer around here. We're short on healthcare professionals, though. No doctors, nurses, PAs, or even EMTs as far as I know.

—Alorael, who notes a distinct science bias among the moderators. Science wars! The postmodernists are losign!

Slarty, You do have a knack with mathematical and statistical analyses. Even if that is just a hobby, I think it still qualifies. If nothing else, it is the language of science and requires an analytical mind to wield it. Besides, not all things are science. Often, a good understanding of history is a valuable skill.

While my profession as a computer jockey is not in itself scientific, I do have a degree in Chemistry minor in Physics, plus 3 semesters of biology. Combine that with the engineering skills I learned in the army, and a casual study of geology and astronomy.

Aloreal, I think we need more people in the biological fields. What would you say is the present job market for that specialty?

Dantius, Thanks for the update. I liked your spoiler as well.