Clarification of Board Rules

*i

Added this to the forum rules to be more explicit about what we cannot tolerate:

Quote:
0. Cause no harm. - These boards are paid for by Spiderweb Software, a small three-person company run primarily by a guy trying to feed his family. USING THIS BOARD AS A MEANS TO SOLICIT OR DISTRIBUTE CRACKS OR KEYS WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT BANNING, NO EXCEPTIONS! Note that this extends to the private messaging system. Yes, this is harsh, but permitting this would very quickly cause Spiderweb Software to go out of business meaning no more games for anyone.

Practically speaking, it changes nothing. Anyone who did this before was given a permanent ban, or at very least a long one provisional on a promise of good behavior. This just makes this clear.

Originally Posted By: Ornitholestes
Piracy hasn't been a worse issue lately. This is just a precautionary rule clarification now that the Mac release for Avadon is getting close. That's all.

Dikiyoba.

Ooh, now I'm all goose-bumpy. But yeah, I don't remember if the part about the private messages was in there before, but it makes sense.

Originally Posted By: *i
Practically speaking, it changes nothing.

Yupp, I can see that. I'm a good little kid, no problems here. Now just gimme Avadon and a week off from school!

Originally Posted By: Lord Safey
Suppose this shows that technical expertise and common sense don't correlate.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Just because you know how to commit software piracy, it doesn't necessarily mean you do.
Originally Posted By: Tirien
Actually, it might be proof that it does. You either have technical expertise OR common sense. Or neither.
They're not necessarily mutually exclusive; I actually have some of both, though I consider myself to have much more common sense than technical expertise.

Originally Posted By: tehpineapple
Every single event in the universe that has happened up until now has been leading to this: the release of Avadon coinciding with reading week (or whatever you call it).

I'm not sure what you're saying here... To clarify, I want a week of from school, but I don't actually get one. I do get a week off at the end of April, but I shan't be waiting that long!

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Huh. I didn't think this was suddenly an issue now. Has there been a surge of cases of people doing it by PM's or emails recently? I would at least think pirates were nominally intelligent enough to not request a pirated copy from a subsidiary of the company itself...

Shall I compare thee to a software pirate?
A badge of shame! But shoulds't thou so desire it,
In cloak of darkness freely make thou copies
Of software on yon lean and hungry floppies.
And then shall games cost more? 'Tis not debatable,
For playing on thy PCs and compatibles.
Each price will soar if thou behav'st like rubbish,
And smaller outfits may no longer publish.
The toil of many bestowed this game its detail,
Whose costs are made up only selling retail.
Such theft we hold as ethically incredible,
And thwarts those copyrighting laws called federal.
Plan to pirate? Prithee, have a care,
Electronic Arts, a member of the Software Publishers Association,
supports the industry's effort to fight illegal copying
of personal computer software.
So there.

See my new name. Meneltarma being the mountain in the center of the Isle Elenna. And a bard cares not for plagiarism. So there.