want to make.[G5]

Well blades of avernum or blades of exile would be your best bet. I think you could add pictures that would look like geneforge ones and make the story a geneforge one but it would still be in the avernum/exile system of games for spells and such. Trying to make a game that looks like and plays like geneforge 5 would be like trying to make geneforge 5. Its way beyond what anyone has time or skill to do besides jeff and he said he was done with geneforge.

I want this as well. If I was very clever and had oodles of time, I would fork the code of ufoai. That way I'd get to play geneforge in full 3d as well!

Or an easier way would be to make a Geneforge Morrowind mod. Of course it would be real time, instead of turn based, and no zones, and only disposable creations, but may be good fun.

If you wanted to make a private game (publishing it would be a legal mess with Spiderweb), you would need to get some sort of engine, and Jeff isn't about to give out the source code and whatnot. Using a pre-existing scenario editor and making the creation system within its parameters would probably be easiest, as Tarson mentioned.

That said, welcome to Spiderweb, check your sanity at the door.

Well pay them... why not? plenty of people do it don't they? Jeff is like any good old artist; isn't he?

I mean, more than a couple of hundreds dollars, if not a thousand may be a good way to start with, hek, i'll even donate in euros... it's possible you know; you for example decide not gain any profits from the game and no more legal mess, a simple clear contract with donation money on the other side... A little far fetched but simple to the least...

I think up a Geneforge alternate universe every now or then, with Character in different positions and doing different things. I enjoy them. They allow me to continue the story of Geneforge in private, allow me to develop the universe more, add subplots, stories, and people. Doesn't make me want to make a game out of it though.

Originally Posted By: upon mars
Well pay them... why not? plenty of people do it don't they? Jeff is like any good old artist; isn't he?

I mean, more than a couple of hundreds dollars, if not a thousand may be a good way to start with, hek, i'll even donate in euros... it's possible you know; you for example decide not gain any profits from the game and no more legal mess, a simple clear contract with donation money on the other side... A little far fetched but simple to the least...

The only way I could image a Blades of Geneforge would be if an eccentric billionaire mailed 100k to Jeff, and then promised another 100k when BoG was done inside a year. And even then, he might refuse.

creating your own game is a bit harder than u think. if jeff taked,let's say half of an year, how much can take to u or someone else from here???

sure there are a lot of programs and i know some of them for creating games,but aren't so good as best 3d games or rpg games(geneforge for example) but that still remains much more work to do... even for those that aren't from america or another english regions(like me)...

Originally Posted By: Wingnut
i want to try and make my own geneforge game..

Heh, who doesn't. I did at one point, but I lost time/interest quickly. Making an rpg is a long-term commitment, trust me. I would think that making a GF-themed map or mod of another game would be more suited to your purposes.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
I think up a Geneforge alternate universe every now or then, with Character in different positions and doing different things. I enjoy them. They allow me to continue the story of Geneforge in private, allow me to develop the universe more, add subplots, stories, and people. Doesn't make me want to make a game out of it though.

I sometimes like to think about how the series would have unfolded with the Awakened G2 ending. From what I remember, the ending stated that the Barrier of the Winds withstood repeated shaper assaults, but holding out indefinitely against an entire continent of shapers seems problematic. Not to mention all the unrest that would be stirred up among serviles and outsiders still under Shaper control. Also, while the ending made it sound like the Drakons were under control for the time being, presumably they were more or less the same beasts as the cannon Drakons, making you wonder just how long the Awakened could keep that control.

Dikiyoba vaguely remembers that the drakons the Awakened have are less intelligent than the drakons that are with the Takers. Maybe it's just the one who gets out of the vat too early, though. Either way, the Barrier of the Wind drakons start out less powerful and less arrogant than the drakons that make up the bulk of the rebellion in the next three games, since the drakons in the rebellion constantly keep shaping new generations that are more powerful and more crazy. Would the drakons allied with the Awakened take the same path? It's hard to say for sure.

The Barrier of the Winds is really kind of a proto-unbound step. Maybe intentionally, or maybe Jeff just decided to reuse an older concept. When I first heard about the Unbound I thought to myself "huh, didn't the awakened try to do something like that back in G2?". Which is strange because I always considered the awakened to be the most level-headed of the four G2 factions (Barzites and Takers were controlled by power-hungry mad-men(or mad-creatures, if you will), the Loyalists were pretty sane, but they didn't really seem to think for themselves). On the other hand, there's Tuldaric, but he doesn't really influence the Awakened leadership as much as the other mad-men influence their respective sects.