Unstable Enemy Beasties[G5]

Well, it's simple. Your unstable creations decay immediately because you don't have much training and you are shaping them without access to any equipment. Enemy unstable creations were shaped by someone with more skill and/or access to a laboratory and therefore decay over a matter of days or weeks.

Dikiyoba.

Right. That's not the problem. They're supposed to be disposable, and they're still fun to use in battle.

I also enjoy Jeff's games because he puts in the effort to enrich his fictional environment with detailed descriptions. The problem is I'm a stickler for consistency, but that shouldn't be MY problem. It was his choice to design creation upgrades that are "unstable," which he explains in-game as (paraphrasing) "powerful but decaying." Enemy creations are inconsistent with this description. I shouldn't have to rationalize it by inventing a reason: "the main character doesn't have enough ability to sustain such a creation."

Having read Dikiyoba's comment, which he posted while I typed this one, I guess I'll settle with that reasoning. I don't want to blow it any more out of proportion. From a role-playing standpoint, however, I still don't think it makes sense that a lifecrafter with demigod-like powers can't make his unstable creations last more than a minute out of combat.

When you think about it, the PC is not the strongest shaper out there. And even the best shapers seem to have huge laboratories filled with vats. You always just whip up your creations, so it stands to reason that they're not as strong as those made with shaper equipment in a shaper laboratory over a longer period of time.

Originally Posted By: Svelte Prince Penoir
Fo realz? When were councilors originally mentioned?

They come up a number of times in previous games (usually in the endings) and there are always nine of them. They also come across as a centralized government rather than each governing their own province.

The timelines Dikiyoba doesn't pay enough attention to, but there's also the difference in Litalia's backstory between G3 and G5 and the fact that Jeff forgot about an entire continent.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
and the fact that Jeff forgot about an entire continent.

I'm surprised Dantius didn't mention that one. It's the best example. Timelines can be screwed up by government propaganda, and the councilors could have been killed and not replaced.

Continents can always merge due to the shifting of tectonic plates. And hey, 200 years of recent history, 2000 years of civilization, or 2,000,000,000 years of geology, it's really all the same. Canon says so!

—Alorael, who also supposes the Shapers could have provided a living land bridge. It would probably be icky, though.

Originally Posted By: Everything in Apotcalypse!
—Alorael, who also supposes the Shapers could have provided a living land bridge. It would probably be icky, though.

Hey they did it to get that beer truck across when the bridge went and they were willing to waste humans.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Who says there isn't another small continent west of Terrestia, with two Shaper provinces and their councilors?

It is repeatedly stated in G5 that there are only 7 councilors. Unless the councilors from that other continent were killed, how do you explain this? And if they were killed, that would imply rebel activity. And I think we'd have heard about that.

Unless, of course, the continent went all "Atlantis" and the Shaper government covered it all up.

Which lost continent was that?

And where is Drypeak (G2) supposed to be located relative to Terrestia? On an island? In G5 I nearly got the impression it was continuous land far southeast (further south than the G4 territories), except that makes it strange for the G2 character to arrive at the southeast tip of Drypeak and explore unknown territory by traveling north and west.

I worked this out once, for the RP. If you drew a square with one side on Gazaki Uss and the other on Bonepeak Ruins, then Drypeak should be on the vertex opposite Gazaki Uss, as B.R. is somewhere in what would be Barzite lands. We know Gazaki-Uss is built on Gazak-Uss, the challenge area in G2. Ghaldring mentions that he was born "a few days walk north of here", meaning Benerii-Uss. Simple, really. It just barley manages to fit on the map.

Maybe the other continent seceded peacefully from the Shaper union after a well-attended plebiscite, in which hardly any votes at all were cast by unstable thahds created specially for the purpose. Official Shaper history subsequently cast the two secessionist council members as non-persons.

More likely, the council seats for the provinces overrun by the rebels have been vacated by the time of G5. The Shapers don't seem to me to be the types to let a governor-in-exile with no actual power base sit on their ruling council.

While it is never outright stated that there is a second continent in G1, the begining text states that you're traveling west to help some shapers settle a remote new colony, so you can get some practice in Shaping. The reason this "remote new colony" is the east coast of Terrestia is because the ending text of G1 states that you land near the new city of Dillame.

Bah. The other continent is a tiny bit larger, but so much more arid and frigid and hostile even than Terrestia that it is politico-economically negligible. Plus the other continent was developed before G3, since it is mentioned in the G3 intro, and thus does not benefit from advanced Trapdoor Geotechnology. Terrestia actually has a lot more zones, when you count the trapdoor places. Infrastructure matters. The great cities of Terrestia's west coast are practically paved with trapdoors, so the amount of real estate is far larger than you'd think from looking at the map.

Alternatively, the other continent was conquered by the G1 PC, and is thus off limits to both Shapers and Rebels. Fortunately for Terrestia, the G1 PC was unable to cross the ocean to continue his conquests, due to a phobia of boats attributable to traumatic experiences with bad pixelation. Once the Rebellion rose on Terrestia, the Shapers successfully erased the other continent from the public imagination, to discourage further geneforged conquistadors. It's not so hard to do this in a world where Vlish float too low for there to be any Google Earth. The Shapers rebuilt Dillame on Terrestia, after the G1 PC torched the original.

terrestria really is a small place though compared to terrestia

i mean, terrestria doesn't have like 160 area's like terrestia does

although terrestria has very fine foods, i've heard that their fried ornk is wayyyyyy better then terrestia's i guess its cause they have the old graphic of ornks, you know, the one that looks like a pig and moos like a cow. those ornks are native to terrestria

terrestria

edit: sniped