Drakons and lesser fire beings[G5]

Originally Posted By: Master1
Either they have enough AP to attack twice, and when you control them, you use the AP to move rather than attack twice, or they have been hasted.

Except that's simply not the case. Every enemy drakon has the capability to use its fire attack twice, and so does every autopilot drakon I create. Mine are not hasted, and I doubt most enemy drakons are either. Still, they use their attack twice per turn.
Contrast this with drakons I create with Intelligence 2 or higher. Just one controlled attack consumes all AP, whether I've moved them or not at all.

AM I REALLY THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE NOTICED THIS? It's at least true in G4. I recently played G5, and I think it remains true.

If it was just enemy drakons, I might blame the difference on differing definitions for default enemy and creation drakons. But the drakons you make have the same stats whether you control them or not.

I assume you can observe the same phenomenon with Drakons of > 2 Intelligence, where you turn the AI on. Have you tried that? It would be useful confirmation.

I know that with ranged, controlled creations, occasionally I get an extra attack despite having 0 Action Points remaining. This occurs when I'm clicking frantically on the same target. I suspect that one of these clicks registers after I've used up my APs, but before the computer has had the time to switch to the next character.

I've noted that the same thing happens in Avernum 5. It's a bug.

How is this relevant to what the OP has described? Perhaps creations with 0 intelligence repeatedly try to attack after their action points are expended, and one of these attacks is registered when it shouldn't be.

Maybe creatures with O int are registered as neutral creatures fighting on your side, and thus are treated with the same rules as hostiles. This would make them have the same stats and abilities as enemies of their level. On the flip side of the coin, they are also controlled by the absolutely stupid AI. Which allows me to quote my favorite Jeff quote ever:

Originally Posted By: Jeff
I write my AI in, oh, say, 5-10 minutes. Usually while drunk. In other words, I put twice as much effort in my AI as everyone else.

And the quote is from here. That chat's from 1997, and it's followed with a more serious explanation:

Quote:
And I've never concealed the fact that my creature AI is awful. My only defense, and it is a weak defense, is that everyone else's is just as bad. Unfortunately.

In 1997 that was not terribly untrue. Now AI has improved substantially. Jeff's has too, but the difference between his games and the hottest new games is noticeable.

—Alorael, who suspects Jeff has been working on achieving perfect BAC for a while now.

Originally Posted By: Mordea
How is this relevant to what the OP has described? Perhaps creations with 0 intelligence repeatedly try to attack after their action points are expended, and one of these attacks is registered when it shouldn't be.

Very interesting. I was controlling a rotgroth today, and I was able to attack again with 0 AP. I only managed it once.

Originally Posted By: Svelte Prince Penoir
Originally Posted By: Mordea

Very interesting. I was controlling a rotgroth today, and I was able to attack again with 0 AP. I only managed it once.

Yeah, I just tested it in A5 as well, and two characters in a row (mage and priest) got an extra attack despite clearly being at 0 AP (indeed, the game 'stopped' for a second when I was clicking), although this required an hour of playing casually. From this I would conclude that the lag that occurs when switching between characters can occasionally be used to squeeze in another attack.

It's a game glitch. Whether the same glitch is occurring for creations you are not directly controlling is a bit uncertain, but it makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Svelte Prince Penoir
Originally Posted By: TIMEBREL DANTS ON TH FLHORLTHULG
No, wait. In the G4 scripts, hostile Drakons (and Ur-Drakons) get +4 to AP, that PC-created Drakons (and Ur-Drakons) do not get.

Also, what is the logic behind scripting enemies like that?

I think I read somewhere in Jeff's blog that he thought a game should be VERY hard for him, but then again he also said that the game should be easy on normal o.o.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Maybe creatures with O int are registered as neutral creatures fighting on your side, and thus are treated with the same rules as hostiles. This would make them have the same stats and abilities as enemies of their level. On the flip side of the coin, they are also controlled by the absolutely stupid AI.

This is not the case.