Reflections on A6 (SPOILERS)

*i

These games were good when they were indie, but now that Jeff has sold out and his company has three employees they're just churning out mass-produced generic games.

—Alorael, who can see how the first games of series seem different. The concepts are still fresh to Jeff as well. E/A2 just gets a special pass for being beloved.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Fires Upon the Mind and Time
These games were good when they were indie, but now that Jeff has sold out and his company has three employees they're just churning out mass-produced generic games.

—Alorael, who can see how the first games of series seem different. The concepts are still fresh to Jeff as well. E/A2 just gets a special pass for being beloved.

Wait... Success (more employees & an implied higher net revenue) = Failure?

Jeff's games are admittedly not as varied as the older games (or so my fading memory tells me) & the Exile/Avernum game's play time feels much shorter, but generic?

Originally Posted By: Fires Upon the Mind and Time
?Alorael, who was going to keep ragging on Spiderweb. Then he realized that there's no point. It's not like Jeff is going to turn around and start making amazing indie games like Richard White and Chromite Software.

We still can hope about the new game which will be all shiny and new before it gets cloned for the sequel. smile

I'm holding out for Vahnatai: The Rise of Rentar. You are a group of apprentices under her direction as you fight endless chitrachs, hydras, and off course those pink skinned invaders of your caves. Slarty starts screaming at the thought of more chitrach fights. smile

Some vahnatai are shapers, and Jeff not only agrees, he literally put it in writing. None of them are Shapers.

—Alorael, who finds it more amusing that, according to Drakey, Jeff endorsed vahnatai creationism. Hey, when you get crazy fan theories, you might as well go with it.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
i would like to state for the record that the ruination of this particular thread was not in any way my fault

Originally Posted By: Cower in Error
P.S. This is quite possibly the worst thread ever.

the melon sex topic

I... Well... The... You know what, I don't even want to know.

A6 is a beautiful game with lots of awesome side-quests. But the main storyline is weak. The whole job-board type plot progression is not to my liking. Take Levit's quests or Merhewys quests for example, they were all given at once like a job board would provide them. This seemed to take away from the feeling that I was actually effecting any change in the game world. I would have preferred that the main plot advancing quests be given one at a time. I mean why would my commanding officers give me 3 quests that I can do any two of? It is more likely that they would have single large missions that need to be done. I believe A6 is the first of Jeff's games to give 3 main plot quests at once. This was not a good idea for the progression of the story. He could have maintained the three quests but he should have revealed them in a linear way. I guess Jeff wanted to give the player a feeling that based on what quests they did the world would be effected accordingly. But really who didn't do all of the quests the first play through?

And in the end the player really can't effect the ending all that much. Jeff straight-armed the ending no matter what you do. There is very little variation in the endings. I think this is a product of Jeff wanting to end the world forever and in his own way, meaning the player's choices have little impact.,

In short Job-board style plot progression is bad.

Originally Posted By: VCH
And in the end the player really can't effect the ending all that much. Jeff straight-armed the ending no matter what you do. There is very little variation in the endings. I think this is a product of Jeff wanting to end the world forever and in his own way, meaning the player's choices have little impact.

This isn't strictly true: what you do with Melanchion, Gladwell and the Scourge will all have a significant impact on the ending, and you can affect how things turn out in the Abyss as well. It's only the Vahnatai and the DLs who are truly unaffected by your actions. It would have been nice to be able to have a more dramatic effect on the world with my choices, but I don't think that's what Jeff really sees Avernum as being about.

I liked the way the game was structured because it let me pick and choose what quests to do in what order, but I can see why others wouldn't.

I guess Jeff wanted to give the player a feeling that based on what quests they did the world would be effected accordingly. But really who didn't do all of the quests the first play through?

I think that's a basically accurate description.

The thing is, people have been whining incessantly on the forums for years about how A4 and A5 were too linear and they wanted more freedom of action. So, Jeff finally caved and (I suspect) put his design sensibilities aside to give his customers what they were clamoring for.

Like you, I don't consider it an improvement, and for much the same reason. The non-linearity is largely illusory for exactly the reason you state -- everybody does all the quests, anyway. The only actual effect is to make the game somewhat less good, since Jeff wasn't able to scale encounter difficulty to character level as well as he could in the more linear games.

But it's hard to fault him for listening to his customers. If everybody who buys his games spends years telling him, "your games stink because of X," then addressing X is a sound business decision. And, indeed, the forums have been giving A6 praise for being more non-linear than its predecessors.

So, I agree that A6 would be a better game if it was more linear. But I think the blame lies with the forum, rather than with Jeff. Alas for me and VCH, judging by the overall response to the non-linearity of A6, this is clearly a minority opinion, so we can probably expect more of the same in future Spiderweb games.

I believe A6 is the first of Jeff's games to give 3 main plot quests at once.

Except A1 and A2, which give you the three largely non-intersecting main plot quests to carry out over the entire game.

—Alorael, who concedes that those games are quite different anyway. Having to do two out of three major quests in the middle of other things is a bit odd.

The major quests in A1 and A2 aren't quests in the modern sense of things, which has been warped (and not just by WoW) into "a mission that goes on your quest log and typically involves going somewhere to do one specific thing, although sometimes it involves collecting items, and it can usually be completed in a single sitting."

I made a flowchart once of all the steps necessary to complete the major quests in X2. Including getting information from people, it's quite extensive.

Originally Posted By: Leadendy
The major quests in A1 and A2 aren't quests in the modern sense of things, which has been warped (and not just by WoW) into "a mission that goes on your quest log and typically involves going somewhere to do one specific thing, although sometimes it involves collecting items, and it can usually be completed in a single sitting."

isn't this pretty much what quests have been for as long as quest logs have existed, which is at least since fallout if not longer

I doubt it's just forum feedback that has made Jeff go 'non-linear'. There just aren't all that many of us here. We might be some sort of bellwether, but if we're a sizable sample of his customer base, his kids are starving. I expect Jeff's mainly looking at relative performance of his own previous games, and the types of other games that are currently doing well.

It is a little implausible that you'd be assigned missions in three-packs, but it's perhaps not so crazy that your superiors have several fires to fight at once, all important enough that they really want them put out, but none of overriding urgency (by the high wartime standards for urgency). In a small and ragged outfit like the Avernum military, maybe they would just leave the choice of which to do first up to the agent assigned.

I agree that the main plot spine of A6 is rather simple, and not even very clear until past half-way through the game. But the story of A6 is really a cluster of loosely linked mini-stories — the main mission series. Most of these are isolated episodes, but together they explain how your character(s) end up being the ones to save the world. In a time of war and famine, you emerge through a series of increasingly difficult missions as the go-to guy(s) for tough jobs. The careers of most real-life military heroes have developed like that, actually.

About quests and quest-logs: even adventurers need GTD.

Maybe what would have been more satisfying is if the heroes that got created from A1-A5 would be mentioned more. That is, the ones WE made that would become part of folklore. Why not MEET some of these old guys, hear a few of their stories, get some tips from them? They have disappeared, even though they presumably retired in Avernum. How could we not meet them? Maybe they would not be named as WE had done (which is another reason that Aldous et al should have been changed each game) but they would be accessible. If Rone and the gang are still around, why not the heroes we made?

I think that is an excellent consideration for any future series by Jeff. ADD to your list of heroes / folklore guys through the ones who ACCOMPLISHED the saving of the world each time.

I know that some of the games mentioned those dudes who saved the world before, but we need to MEET them. That would be really cool.

There were statues honoring the heroes of A1 and A2 in Fort Emergence (there were, weren't there? I'm not imagining this?) and someone nearby would talk about how the first group of heroes did such and such and then disappeared, while the second (A2) group is still working down in Avernum. I thought that was a neat touch.

The problem with having previous heroes around is that they then need incentive to stop being so darn heroic. A3 justified sending wimps to the surface, but why don't those ex-wimps defend their homeland in A4? Too busy being famous in Avernum's surface lands? A5's heroes are, of course, all too pleased to get out of Avernum and enjoy sunlight and a lack of backstabbing politics, xenophobic Avernites, conspiracies, and the dragons.

—Alorael, who supposes that the heroes of A1-3 might be too old and feeble to save the world in A6. Alternately, they may be too rich and famous to bother risking their necks when the military can do it. But is A4's merry band really AWOL?

The Avernum 1 heroes were probably fighting the Empire on the surface during Avernum 2.

The Avernum 2 heroes were in Avernum doing stuff for King Micah.

Avernum 4 takes place 20 years after Avernum 3 so the A3 heroes are too old to go back to adventuring.

Avernum 6 takes place 20 years after Avernum 4 so again, those adventurers are too old.

As for why they didn't extend their lives like Rone and Solberg, it's probably because they couldn't even if they wanted to. Those adventurers may have been powerful but they were only good at one thing, fighting. Even though your fighter in A2 can beat a Dervish in combat, he couldn't train troops or command an army as well as a Dervish. Same thing with your mage, he might be better at blowing stuff up with magic than someone like Rone but he's not nearly as good at scrying, performing magical research, or creating magical constructs.

If it can happen to my group it could happen to mine.

FYT.

—Alorael, who alternately can only assume that Avernum puts its faith in adventurers because they're all the same party. The get rich and famous, then suffer amnesia because it's the heroic thing to do. Next game!

Originally Posted By: Silver Shadow
Nothing stopping them from turning to other pursuits after they're finished being all heroic, tho'.

True but that doesn't mean that their other pursuits would be useful to Avernum or that they'll be good at it. Heck, for all we know, your fighter in A3 became an architect and your mage blew himself up researching a new spell.