A6 - Jeff's games need some new sounds!

VCH

I think the backgrounds sounds have actually been evolving slowly. In a few earlier games, I would always get weird flashbacks to Vakkiri whenever I hear the 'in town' background noises. But now many of the clanking sounds and children playing sounds are gone. It's quieter, more like Avernum I suppose. Same goes for dungeons, which no longer have all those bubbling noises like they used to. Again, more Avernum appropriate.

The sounds are decent, at least they provide you with feedback about whats happening and thats the important part right?

I always play with the volume at quiet, and background sounds off. I guess I've just always seen Jeff's approach to sounds as very minimalist which is fine as long as I'm playing my own music alongside them... Actually i wouldn't mind a "quietest" setting or some sort of volume slider since even quiet is a bit too loud for me.

A question for those much more experienced with modding Avernum: Lets say I wanted to replace some of the attack sfx, is there any way to add more variety? I could have two monster growling sounds instead of just the same one.

Of course things like gameplay, story, AI, and graphics are much more important, so I'm glad Jeff chooses to focus on those. Then again I think I would've paid a few extra $ to see my dual-wielding characters hold two swords!

Edit: Looks like A6's sound files are Ogg Vorbis at either 22.05kHz, or 11.025kHz, 16-bit mono.

I was thinking more along the lines that someone in the community could make some cool free sounds for Jeff. I've always thought that movies and games could make better use of SILENCE. Sometimes a dramatic moment would work better with no soundtrack or background noise. Movies are the worst in shoving sounds in all over the place.

• 2 months later...

The one thing that messes me up- in previous games there was a certain sound that meant your party died. Now it is being used when you kill someone. So everytime I'm not really paying attention and go and kill some bandits or something and I hear that sound, I'm convinced my whole party just bit the dust somehow. It always takes me a minute to regroup and realize that- 'oh wait- its a good sound now'. That's my only complaint about sounds.

noo.. the best sound ever is that one of when you kill a demon.. sounds like a "Ouurghhhh" followed by a nasal balloon deflating.. so epic

and I remember from Exile 1, the sound when all your guys died, it was a big "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!"

I also like the sound when I crush some brigand or cultist, like bones shattering.. pretty satisfactory