A6 - Skribbane

BrownieMix

There are about 100 skribbane in the game that you can sell to the dealer so it's up to you from a powergamer's perspective when you've sold enough and want to kill him to fulfill the mayor's quest. The only downside is that you will get less experience from delaying the mayor's quest but that's mostly balanced by the money and experience from selling skribbane.

From a moral perspective, well you are aiding a dealer.

Good to know - thanks! I guess my last question is is there a negative effect for using skribbane? The positives are pretty frickin crazy - group old school haste? Sign me up! However, the game hints at drawbacks...anyone know what those might be?

Also, just a thought - you can buy an infinite amount of skribbane from the dealer, then sell it back to him. If you get XP for each one you sell, wouldn't that result in an XP farm? I'll test that out tonight

This reminds of Avernum 3, where a bureaucrat from Spineridge asks for paper and ink. A nearby wandering merchant offers infinite paper for 15 gold apiece, and each paper offered to the bureaucrat nets 10 XP. I got so excited I purchased 10000 gold worth of paper. smirk When I tried to fulfill the mission, the bureaucrat said she had all she needed, and that ended the quest.

Well, I just found out what the drawback to using Skribbane is. It's nasty, too.

The first two or three doses don't seem to do any harm. Even after 5-10 doses, you may not see an adverse effect -- but by the tenth dose you're probably addicted even if you don't know it. I don't know the exact threshold for addiction, because what sent me over the edge was using skribbane three times in a single fight.

Once you're addicted, whenever you get into a fight from that point on, there's a chance each round that you'll suffer withdrawal symptoms. At the start of the round, your entire party will be cursed, weakened and slowed. Withdrawal symptoms only seem to trigger when you're actually fighting: you can't just stand around in combat mode and expect them to show up, there have to be monsters around who can see you.

The withdrawal symptoms have triggered about five times so far, always at the most inconvenient moment. I hope they don't take too much longer to wear off.

I just noticed that this morning - yeah, it's not exactly fun. It does go away after awhile, but I got really tired of having my party cursed and weakened all the time. I just started a new game, and this time I'm not going to kill the skribbane dealer until waaays into the game - the xp and gold I get for selling them is nice. and it keeps me from using it. Plus, I found that once both my fighters got Battle Frenzy, I barely used it at all. I keep a small supply just in case of emergencies, but the rest of it is getting turned into cold hard cash.