Completing tormet without dying

Abhishek

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time i agree with all of the things.

Each and every word.

What a post!

A post which i read 4 times before i reply.

You guys agreed with me and i with you.

First party which is created after so many discussion.

But,a party which can really do the task which i want from it.

Thats great.

Now just waiting for examinations(thats not a problem,i am a good student).

And then...

I will start

I am so happy!

Oh please.

Dont say anything for multi posting.

If we dont break the rule sometime then who will say them a rule.

And i am very happy that you are here again.I thought that you get frustrated by my post and you will never reply me again.(look like this does not happen with you but with randomizer.Just see his last post on this topic.

Ha ha ha just joking)

I was worried about survivability of archer so look like i will take elite warrior.

Thrown is incredible in itself for doing damage and.....

Once it is already said on this thread for my case that

doing dange reliably and not dying is more important for me.

To clarify, when I was talking about Sharpshooter I meant the Deadeye trait. I edited my post to fix that.

—Alorael, who doesn't think it makes much difference since the trait gives you the skill. He'll just point out that Sharpshooter is definitely worthwhile when bought with gold only. It just isn't always worth a trait.

Originally Posted By: Chaper VI: In which Alorael has done.
Strong Will is okay, but only if you anticipate not being able to rely on Unshackle Mind (as with a singleton).

You can get charmed even with very high intelligence so I don't know how effective Strong Will is and whether it's worth it. I had a Cryos demon in the Vahnatai Lands charm a fighter and 2 spellcasters. Luckily I my last fighter survived until the charm wore off.

Really? Bows won't do spear-level damage, but they often seem on par with swords and you have much less parry/riposte to worry about. The magical melee and pole weapons tend to have better bonuses, but bows do fine. Throwing weapons are problematically lacking in anything but base damage.

—Alorael, who will admit to never having anything but mixed archer/fighters. He's just not convinced the mix is necessary.

I have only used bows as a way to get in a free hit. I would shoot the enemy with my bows until they came to me and then melee or as I ran away from them. For enemies that could shoot back I always had a summon act as a meat shield.

I agree with Thurly about giving fighters and magic users a primary attack skill in something other then bows and throwing. There are times when a bow is not a good option for a fight.

Originally Posted By: Chaper VI: In which Alorael has done.
Really? Bows won't do spear-level damage, but they often seem on par with swords and you have much less parry/riposte to worry about. The magical melee and pole weapons tend to have better bonuses, but bows do fine. Throwing weapons are problematically lacking in anything but base damage.

—Alorael, who will admit to never having anything but mixed archer/fighters. He's just not convinced the mix is necessary.

Swords don't really do very much damage either. Hell, even spears don't, compared to magic. Once you get past Tranquility or thereabouts, the point of a fighter in major battles is mostly to stand in the middle of a crowd of enemies and take hits while the spellcasters blast away with area effects. I mean, I guess an archer could fill the same role almost as well with the right skills, but he already has a fighter.

It's true -- magic really is a much more effective damage source in A5. This is more true than in A4 due to the degree to which Quick Action was nerfed. Now the most damage you can expect out of a halberd is 2.5 (average) * 1.25 (reasonable QA level) = about 3.1 per level of damage, per turn -- and that's before armor, which a large portion of enemies have at least 25% physical reduction from, and before any dodges, parries or ripostes.

A5, of course, still has the good haste. Assuming A6 inherit's G5's nerfed haste, that will change the balance of power significantly. Spellcasters and archers will no longer get a guaranteed two shots per turn, so one of the primary drawbacks of relying on melee attacks will be removed entirely!

Thuryl as well as alorael said that thrown is not so damaging.

I have already explained it.Look like no one ever tried it at all.

Thrown is the thing to which if you pay attention gives you d4 from beginning and d5 when you reach in mid game.

Jade and bloodthrist both pole are d4 and jade comes too late and in my game it is really possible that it doesnt come at all just see the nasty fight you need for it.

So thrown is always good from archery and pole if you have patience for it(bows also stops at d4)and heartstriker also comes very late.

So dont say that thrown is bad it just need extra attention which i will give

And i agree with thuryl for subskill for thrown.

And solution is as i already told wands and scrolls for me(this gives me points to unlock and invest in parry for throwing char)

i just dont know that where to invest that you dont miss with wands.Help.

Thrown provides more damage, but even with buying weapons there are not enough of the most damaging ones for more than the hardest of the boss fights. You are better to have bows and use thrown occasionally.

The best pole weapon for almost all the game is in Khora-Vysss which you can get in the middle of the game.

Originally Posted By: Abhi
Thuryl as well as alorael said that thrown is not so damaging.
I have already explained it.Look like no one ever tried it at all.
Thrown is the thing to which if you pay attention gives you d4 from beginning and d5 when you reach in mid game.

I used an archer and a thrower all the way through Avernum 4, and things haven't changed that much in A5. Yes, a thrower will do somewhat more damage than an archer throughout the game, but archers don't do that much damage to begin with. Compared to melee weapons, the best throwing weapons do have larger dice, but they don't get the advantages of Quick Action or Lethal Blow, so they still end up doing less damage on average. Throwing isn't a bad skill if you have the patience to stockpile and conserve thrown weapons, but I always found it annoying.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Thrown provides more damage, but even with buying weapons there are not enough of the most damaging ones for more than the hardest of the boss fights. You are better to have bows and use thrown occasionally.

The best pole weapon for almost all the game is in Khora-Vysss which you can get in the middle of the game.

I don't think he really wants to attempt Khora-Vyss in the middle of the game if he's trying to play through the whole game without ever dying.

Actually what i posted were names and what randomizer posted was location we both are talking about same thing randomizer.

You said weapon of khora vyss and i said bloodthrist.Both are same and i will do khora vyss for bloodthrist spear during anama lands and khora vyss slith horror after howling depth.

I mean by late game best weapon for,jade halberd.Though you r right that BT is best pole but JH works same.And sometimes JH works better(10%hostile effect resistance).So i think its a tie.

I dont wanna spoil my above post so i am posting twice.

When i listen you i was amazed after posting i think to wait till i dont reach muck.

But vahanatai lands?

I never claimed to be best but i kill them all in playthrough of hard without dying just after reaching highground and doing 4 quest:yet another shade.

Help clan.

3 outpost.

Kill farflinger.

So i am going to delay it for 1st visit to muck but not more than that.

Oops.

Is it so.

Then it save a lot of effort by me.

Thanks for telling me.

Though i know programming but i never tried to open it.

I think if someone has

software then you better open it in c++ instead of notepad for editing.A programmer already knows it but not a casual person who edits by getting hints from here(forums).

The average casual user has Notepad (or TextEdit). He or she is much less likely to have a good C++ code checker/compiler (or whatever the technical term is; I'm a casual user) on hand.

—Alorael, who thinks Thuryl's point about fighters becoming useless is an argument for ranged weapons, especially bows. You don't want to risk close combat when riposte can tear up your fighter. Ranged, even ranged from one space away, is risk-free. The skill point cost isn't oppressive, especially if the character is a nephil. Sure, the damage isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

Yes i am back.

Exam are gone and the battle has been started.

The party was same as i promised.

I am on 2nd level trapped in hiricks area.

I am giving stats without items.

Warrior.

Str:3

dex:4

int:2

end:2

melee 2

pole 9

bow throw0

q a:4

defense:4

1st aid:1

special skills are just from traits and race which you already know so i am giving.

Other things are zero.

Thrown.

Str:3

dex:4

int:2

end:3

bow:2

throw:12

tool use:4

other are zero.

And he is elite warrior.

He is doing 80 damage with well aimed blow in demo area!

Priest.

Int:3

priest:9

spellcraft:1

arcane lore:1

nature l:1

defense:4

mage:dex,int,end 3

mage 7

spell craft 4

point remaining of 2nd level

On Torment, it's almost impossible to dodge things, particularly later in the game. That means it's worthless to put points into Defense or Dexterity. (The Dex is okay, if not great, for your missile fighter as it helps his damage output, but for everyone else it's a big waste.) Also, buying Spellcraft early is also a waste because you can train it very early in the game at Shanker.

If those things are there because you used premade classes instead of Custom, don't blame the game. Alorael told you you should use Custom.

Personally, given the extremity of your challenge, and how early you are in the game, I would want to start over without so many wasted skill points, if I were in your shoes. Whether or not you do that, I highly recommend you read the links in Strategy Central. Undertaking a challenge of this difficulty without learning how the game engine works first is not a good idea.

I have read all the things in strategy central.

Please read this.

I wanted to explain that i have 0 point in spell craft and i have skill points so much that after i meet shankar i will increase it by 4 for mage quickly(means to 7 finally).Priest really has 1 point though to increase survivability.

Mage is at 0 in spell craft.

Incomplete sentence my fault actually i was in too much hurry to type and to do some other works.

It was so urgent that my pc is off since my last post.Ok,so i am not playing like kids.

You said that i cant dodge things but i say that you can.

Try it yourself.With high armor resistance you can dodge things even in tormet.

20% armor from divinely touched+these points in defense+armor+enduring sheild will dodge them till northern isles(except fc test) its my well prepared variation and i know the combat mechanics too good and i am dodging a lot.

Morever investment in dexterity is not for dodging its for acting before the monster rips your face.Thats why i needed it i am not going to invest there more.

And defense.Do you need a stronger reason?

I need to unlock parry as soon as possible dont get surprised if i unlock it before blademaster for warrior.

I have killed hiricks and i have paper of transit now.His apprentice is still alive.

Next is goblin warrens,aid to aminro,rat lord,learn using pylons,and not decided any more.

Dont get surprised if i killed unstable mass before lowland slime quest.Because unstable mass is a piece of cake.Just cast daze at the end of every round its shot of sure succes.

100% working strategy.

And this will result in lot of xp too.Unstable mass was never a trouble for me not even in tormet.

It is too weak against mental effect.

If every thing go out of control one mass madness scroll will change the tide.

I am trying the battle in such a way that i can escape in emergency so order will change a bit.

Black flang clan and flang clan will come too late.

But ogre thwacking too early.I just needed 5 trips to pool last time in hard with my hiding priest who stay just near stairs

i think if someone ever tries it after me to complete tormet without dying then tranquility is the most run away needed place throughout the game what my hard experience teach me.

And whirling thrasher is the most probable fight where you can die and your mission will come to an end.

Whirling thrasher needs attention because:

1:it is difficult and can kill you.

2:if you go to muck with your last character then it will go back in its lair and it will revive itself too!(worse)

3:it need to cover less distance and it had 14 action point per round so no matter what you do it will be quicker than you.

So dont do the direct battle do this.

When it is out place your warrior just in front of it.

If you wanna complete tormet without dying adrenaline rush is must for ever one.

Now place your priest on the third block just behind warrior by this you can mostly avoid its rushing the air with a mighty blow for priest and it will be slowed by warrior if it tried to reach your priest but it does not work on that programming but remember that black horror work on this programming and it is most likely to be hit him who hit him last time,thats why i feel that black horror is not well designed because with such a high dexterity only your warrior acts earlier than him and thus he will attack your warrior only.But lets back to whirling thrasher.Keep your thrower/archer and mage away.

Dont hesist to use a assault crystal this is the only way by which warrior can do some damage.

Take as much damage as you can on your warrior and keep using healing potion or elixir for him.

When this is happening, land as much damage as you can with your three characters.

Then your warrior is dead.

And now the battle starts.You have bring it down to half health if you use invulnerable elixir(which i never need and i can handle it without IE)

do this to take a safe trip to muck.

Start to escape with priest and summon shade at the last action point.

But it will like to kill your priest and not shade.

If you have archer change your bow to submission and if have thrown then use null wand(which also do some bonus damage)now i need a invulnerale potion for priest.Keep casting smite it works too good heal yourself by potion/food only.

When your priest die it will be stunned.

now run with thrown/archer and with mage, with mage at more distance.

Run like dorikas casting slow and stun.

Try to bring it on the half map(i managed to reach too near muck with my patience before my archer died and when finally archer dies cast acid shower take adrenaline rush and then end combat.(because you have 8 action point and it have 14.)keep going toward muck and then(i reach just next to gate by now)

revive your party take an adrenaline rush for your warrior to attract it and then kill it in direct battle.

(if you feel weak try to bring him on the gates of muck(i can do it why not you?))

i have more battle in my mind but i will tell of it later.

Do you know wiping out melchonian keep in hard is 100 possible with tricks

You can dodge in the demo, but your dodging abilities will increase very slowly compared to the enemies' very rapid increases in accuracy. For the long term it's not worth trying to keep up, which means it's not worth trying to dodge early on. In fact, you need to make sure your build will let you survive getting hit early in the game so that you can retry without having to redo everything if it doesn't.

—Alorael, who thinks perhaps you should eventually be aiming for more than 7 Spellcraft. He can't tell if you are or you aren't, but either way it's a good idea.

We're not arguing that you can't dodge in the Northern Isles. We're saying that you will very soon stop being able to dodge to any meaningful extent, and then all the points put into dodging skills (Defense, Dexterity past what's necessary for going first) are wasted. You can't build your party for the easier beginning and expect it to do well in the harder endgame.

—Alorael, who apologizes for not reading your battle analyses. Your posts are a little bit hard to read, especially with long sentences and very little punctuation. But he will say that he knows wiping out Melanchion's Keep is possible. People have done just about everything that can be done in any game on Torment. The trick is doing it on the first try every time.

So will u say that i start from beginning?

I want parry for everyone and i except that i dont calculated it.

I except ur complain about my way of writing to.Even i have good knowledge of english grammar,i never use it here.

Just see:i everywhere and not I.

The problem is my key board of mobile,it is not handy in making punctuations so i dont pay attention.

From next time i will take care.

The only use for dexterity and defense at 6 is so you can train in Parry. After the demo, there are very few thing on torment that won't hit you. Going ahead of you enemies is helpful, but very soon only one character is needed.

Waiting on spellcraft until you can train saves skill points. You can put them towards mage or priest skill and get the same result in increasing your spell's effectiveness.

If you can't kill something the first time like Hrickris' apprentice, then go back later when you are at full strength and kill it. Never leave experience and/or loot behind when you can come back for it.

I have noticed that u write to the point but write now i can deal everything except what slarty is saying.

Play from start.

Ok only those falls who ride the horse.

Most probably if i dont get strong reason i will start again.

*feeling like looser*

do u think the same for me?

However admire my dedication for game and that will be enough to make me happy again.

What i have done after all:

get out of base

nice scuttler eye

hunt hirick

thats all.So its not too late.But still its sucks please some one come in my path like hero and stop me from restarting.

I am very scared of the guys of whom i am surrounded right now.All of you are moderator and i am reading about terror mortal and when i will post from next time on any other thread i will take care that i dont reply to any moderator.

You all are frightening me.Half joking but half serious too.

*sigh*

Abhi, look. I'm sorry that we're half-frightening. I don't mince words, though, when incorrect facts are being spread and the topic is something I'm sure about.

Please don't take offense at this suggestion, but maybe there are more language issues than we realize. We can get the gist of what you're saying, but sometimes your language is confusing. If you have the same experience reading the posts here, that would explain why it feels so hard to get you to understand even clear-cut tips.

What you need to understand, is that you are dealing with people who have analyzed the game thoroughly, and written a lot about it before. It gets tiresome to have you constantly tell us we're wrong based on your (faulty) assumptions. For example, when you made assertions about what Torment is like, then told us you had never played on Torment before!

I don't say this to be insulting, but to explain why we seem impatient. It's because we probably are.

How to avoid this: if we say something that you are skeptical about, ask for more information or a better explanation instead of just saying it's wrong. You simply don't have enough of a knowledge base to accurately say things are wrong.

---

Finally, about starting the game over: when I first played A5, I think I restarted about six different times, from as far into the game as the Drake Pillars. Granted, I was exploring game mechanics and formulating optimization theories while playing, but the point stands. Starting over is nothing to be ashamed of.

Aw, we don't mean to be scary. We're just very sure of ourselves, and we'd rather have you start with a strong party than figure out where you went wrong half-way through Tranquility.

—Alorael, whose solution to figuring out his party isn't up to the challenge is turning the difficulty down. In fact, he has never completed a Spiderweb game on the highest difficulty setting. He tries it sometimes, but it's usually 9 parts frustration to 1 part elation for him. He'd rather have more fun. He'll also defend both Torment and cheating constantly in games. The point is to enjoy it, whether that means setting extra challenges or just getting to the plot.

I said i have already played tormet.

My first playthrough was not like single playthrough.It was the game which was once complete i make a lot of experiment with saved files and playing with tormet include it too.

No matter how my language is.I am sure it is not like him and you are not going to kick me out of forums like him

*he is sure*

*laughs*

By now.It looks like you started to wonder what is my quality that i am trying such a work.

Answer is:my combat skills.I never loose not even in tormet.

You already know how wrong my some points were in designing a party.But still i win.I have patience to handle my foes.They dont handle me.I handle them in the way i want.

Now i think that if i can win with a poor designed party then i can do what i want with such a good party.

I am trying for solution.And i think that it would be best if i do combat myself but put my skill point in front of you.I will just follow you in training stats.Whatever you will say will be done.

But in doing combat,i think i am too good.I have strategies which i found better than strategy central.(just some not all)

tell me,whether my language is improving?

*Gets on soapbox*

I play a game called Final Fantasy XI. A few weeks ago to passe the 2 million player mark. The game mechanics have been broken down by the player base to a mathematical level. On paper, everyone one knows what the ideal setup is for every fight and how everything will work out.

Due to this the player base has adopted a method of playing called "Zerging." Zerging is rushing the enemy and killing it with massive damage all at once, overpowering the enemy. This method is so effective that it is the standard for playing and anyone that deviates from Zerging is told why they will fail at a fight and the game in general.

What the player base has forgotten is that there is more then one way to play the game. I do not like to use the Zerg method. I like to take on massive fights with little numbers of players in a method that deals damage of a period of time or DoT. People get mad at me for doing something in a way that is different from how they do it and tell me that I am doing it wrong. The fact that I can still win a fight using DoT over Zerging is irrelevant to them.

In Avernum we are able to put skill points into traits and abilities for our PC's to handle fights and encounters. Many people here have broken down the game's mechanics to a paper and pencil math formula. Deviate from that formula and they will tell you why you will fail at a fight and in the game.

Truth is that there are many traits that all work together in many ways to allow the player to play the game in many ways. There is many ways to build a party that can overcome the challenges in the game. Everyone here has offered ideas on how to build a party for the game in the torment level with the party never dying.

That does not mean that what they say is the only way to build a party for such a challenge. You know your play style so build your party to use that to your advantage. It may be different from the standard party that is used but if it works for you then nothing is wrong with it. The goal of a game is to enjoy it, not make it into a chore by doing the same thing over and over. Experiment and enjoy the game how you want to enjoy it.

*Gets off soapbox*

Sure. But this particular discussion is about finishing a long and very difficult game without ever getting the party killed and having to save-load. I don't know about Abhi, but I'd be extremely frustrated to reach, say, Tranquility in A5, and only then, after so many hours on the project, have to admit that I was doomed and could go no further, because I had spent all my skill points in the wrong places, there were no more opportunities for XP behind me, and I didn't have what it took to go on.

On the other hand, though, it's his nickel. Of course he can try it however he wants.

Oh yes.

You are right.Every one has done a lot of research but still they dont say that it is possible what i am doing.I am kind a person who beleives that every game is winnable so i will do it and i will try to figure out remaining things.I am sure that there are some.Because the game must be winnable.

So when i said that i will put my skill point here i mean for suggestions to whom i will pay high attention but i am not going to let others train my party.Not even jeff and not even god.Because its my game and i am playing for fun and research come next to fun.

I mean no insult.I respect their dedication.I just wanna say that i will listen them but not like taking orders

I wouldn't listen to Jeff about building a torment level party. He's always a bit shocked by what the beta testers do and alters fights when he finds out that we come up with ways to trivialize a major fight. He has his ideas about how the game should be played and doesn't see things the way we do.

Jeff really hated it when we found that most boss monsters could be taken out using terror wands to keep them from fighting. That's why it no longer works. frown

There are many ways to win the game, but a no reload challenge really requires you to not make mistakes. There are just too many places where you have to start over if you made a mistake because there is no other way to go on past the obstacle.

If student of trinity says that he gets frustrate by stucking in tranquility then he is supporting me because i said earlier that for me it is the most difficult place.

But,he says that he dont know about me.This is obvious.Any of the newly registered user doesnt start his carrier like me.I came and started a topic which was brainstorming for even the greatest players but i never told about myself and i think i must do it now.

I am old to avernum and they were easy than a5.Just assume that i know them.Telling facts about them is the waste of time.

Here i will talk only about my knowledge of a5.

So i played them well and reason behind the fact that i dont know the traits was that i was doing good with my party and i was beating the game in tormet without being tormet due to my knowledge of combat.

I dont want comparison i will just say that i completed tormet and thats all.

I think the work of all you guys is outstanding but this does not mean that i cant do the same thing without being registered

Rowen:

I would agree, except that most of this conversation hasn't been about strategy. Most of it has been about black-and-white quantitative comparisons. Whether or not dodging is possible in the second half of the game in Torment is not something you have an opinion about; there's an answer and that's that. Comparing Good Constitution and Divinely Touched is again, not a matter of opinion; preferring GC is the FFXI equivalent of saying "well, I have this medium strength sword and this superpowered sword that also buffs all my stats. I think the medium strength sword is better!"

Meanwhile, Abhi has declared:

Originally Posted By: Abhi
Answer is:my combat skills.I never loose not even in tormet...I have patience to handle my foes.They dont handle me.I handle them in the way i want... But in doing combat,i think i am too good.I have strategies which i found better than strategy central.

I think that speaks for itself.

Will you please clearify what you wanna say by my quote?

One sentence is not enough for me to understand.

Look like you dont beleive me.

If i predict wrong,be straight forward in your answer.

I dont think you will need to spoon feed me once i start the game and do the battle.

I was always weak in choosing traits.From the first page i except this.

And dodging:i calculated it myself and thats why changed it quickly.Start again tomorrow

Since many moderators are here i think there is no harm in asking that i have faced a tech problem in registration.Tech support works only for game faults so kindly direct me where i can tell this to jeff so that it is modified.

Dead sure its a bug.Should i mail jeff?

But i think that it would be helpful for those guests who wanna register.