Northern Isles Game 5

*i

Thank you everyone for agreeing to play and watch. Here are the ground rules. Only the moderator (me) and people who are playing the game and are alive may post here. Anything else will be instantly deleted.

The current living players are:

Ash Lael

Bain-Ihrno

Bloodmoon

Dikiyoba

Doom Warrior

Duck

Marlenny

Nikki

Nioca

PGLB

Rowen

Sarachim

Sporefrog

Tarson

Wz As

Xelgion

Some ground rules:

1) If you are playing PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES. They have been updated since the last game.

2) Private communication is allowed.

3) Submit your actions to me by way of PM in the thread I started with you. If I cannot figure out what you want to do, I'll simply ignore it, so try to be clear.

4) Actions will be processed in the order they were received when I get around to them. Read the rules for how often you can submit and any other exceptions.

5) Please posts all rules questions in your PM with me or in the rules topics.

6) If you are not playing or dead, please do not influence the game. You may look, but not touch.

Otherwise, the game begins:

Tuesday, April 21 at 8 PM EDT

No action submissions will be accepted before that. A few people tried to submit some things, and those posts will be ignored. In other words, submit again after the game starts. I'm doing this not to be a jerk, but to make sure everyone gets a fair chance at getting their post in. I'm sorry if you are busy at the start time, but it is impossible choose a start time that works for everyone.

Also, if you have not done so already, reply to my PM topic with you as soon as you can. If you do not within 24 hours of me sending it to you, you may be replaced.

Just a reminder, no actions that kill anyone will be processed until:

Wednesday, April 22 at 8 PM EDT

Also, the game will end at the latest on:

Tuesday, April 27 at 8 PM EDT

Let's put this thread to some use. The Anama has decided to target me with the Wand of Death. And so they have about 8 more hours to undo said action and send me the wand or I will reveal their identities on this thread.

I'm not expecting the enemies of the Anama to contact me (I can understand if you see this as a trap), but I invite them to pay attention. My death on Wednesday, April 22 at 8 PM EDT should prove that I'm saying the truth.

Check the thread for updates.

A paper is being distributed. It reveals the following information:

1) Bloodmoon is Oliver

2) Rowen killed PGLB

3) Wz As is the Bound Servant

Note that these are Machrone's answers to questions and may or may not be accurate.

A lot of items have been changing hands very rapidly. Make sure you got everything you should have.

Anyway, next game I am probably going to make it so you may only offer one item per day or complete one trade (which may involve multiple items changing hands). I resisted this for simplicity reasons, but it is getting too difficult for me to manage as you guys become better at playing.

And the game is over! Let's congratulate our winners...

Ash Lael as Machrone

Marlenny as Craftmaster Strine

Rowen as Anama Priest

Sarachim as Dionicio

Sporefrog as Micklebur

Tarson as Empire Spy

Wz As as Bound Servant

Thanks for everyone who played. The full list of roles are:

Ash Lael -- Machrone

Bain-Ihrno -- Adventurer

Bloodmoon -- Oliver

Dikiyoba -- Darkside Blademaster

Doom Warrior -- Necromancer

Duck -- Darkside Mage

Marlenny -- Craftmaster Strine

Nikki -- Shanker

Nioca -- Aimee

PGLB -- Gladwell

Rowen -- Anama Priest

Sarachim -- Dionicio

Sporefrog -- Micklebur

Tarson -- Empire Spy

Wz As -- Bound Servant

Xelgion -- Domont

The log:

Day 1

Aimee confuses Adventurer

Bound Servant learns Craftmaster Strine can be recruited by Gladwell

Craftmaster Strine creates Box of Traps

Craftmaster Strine uses Crystal Spire on Micklebur

Dionicio learns identity of Gladwell

Micklebur gives Fury Crossbow to Anama Priest

Machrone conducts a poll of Darkside Loyalist targets

Shanker protects Shanker

Domont sends keyword "kthxbai"

Micklebur learns Dionicio is not involved with dark magic

Oliver investigates Craftmaster Strine's inventory

Empire Spy learns Darkside Blademaster's nationality

Day 2

Anama Priest kills Gladwell with the Wand of Death

Bound Servant uses Ironskin Balm on Bound Servant

Dionicio learns identity of Darkside Mage

Oliver trades with locals and obtains the Vulnerability Scroll

Bound Servant learns Dionicio can be recruited by Gladwell

Shanker protects Craftmaster Strine

Darkside Mage curses Micklebur

Micklebur attacks Darkside Mage, but is cursed

Darkside Mage counterattacks Micklebur, but cannot harm him

Oliver investigates Machrone's inventory

Domont learns what Empire Spy did

Craftmaster Strine makes Wand of Death

Craftmaster Strine uses Crystal Spire on Aimee

Dionicio joins the Anama

Machrone answers Q1, Q4, Q5 all correctly

Empire Spy kills Darkside Mage

Empire Spy gets Rod of Alacrity

Craftmaster Strine gives Wand of Death to Machrone

Machrone joins the Anama

Empire Spy gives Rod of Alacrity to Craftmaster Strine

Empire Spy gives Holy Symbol to Craftmaster Strine

Necromancer absorbs spirit of Darkside Mage

Craftmaster Strine gives Rod of Alacrity to Dionicio

Machrone kills Shanker with Wand of Death

Machrone gets Disruption Crystal

Dionicio uses Rod of Alacrity

Dionicio learns the role of Bain-Ihrno

Bound Servant gets Box of Traps from Craftmaster Strine

Bound Servant gets Holy Symbol from Craftmaster Strine

Day 3

Bound Servant uses Holy Symbol, removes geas

Oliver trades with locals and obtains a Warding Crystal

Darkside Blademaster kills Oliver

Bound Servant traps Anama Priest with Box of Traps

Craftmaster Strine gives Crystal Spire to Dionicio

Dioncio uses Crystal Spire on Darkside Blademaster

Micklebur attacks Adventurer, but ends up dead

Game Moderator resurrects Micklebur

Necromancer absorbs Shanker's spirit

Empire Spy learns nationality of Necromancer

Craftmaster Strine creates Rod of Alacrity

Craftmaster Strine gives Rod of Alacrity to Dionicio

Dionicio uses Rod of Alacrity

Dionicio kills the Necromancer

Aimee confuses Darkside Blademaster

Domont attacks Aimee, but cannot harm her

Day 4

Machrone answers a question

Bound Servant gives Holy Symbol to Craftmaster Strine

Darkside Blademaster tries to attack Adventurer but is confused

Anama Priest kills Aimee

Dionicio kills Darkside Blademaster with Flaming Sword

Dionicio gets Assassin Leather

Empire spy sees Dionicio being suspicious

Dionicio learns skill level of Empire Spy

Machrone answers more questions

Machrone uses Box of Traps around CM Strine

Micklebur kills Domont

Micklebur gets Warding Crystal

Machrone sees Micklebur being suspicious

Day 5

Empire Spy kills Adventurer

Empire Spy gets Killer Poison

Game Over

Northern Isles will be taking a hiatus for 2-3 weeks. The game will be back, however. I will, of course, tweak a few things. Depending on how I feel, I may expand the number of random roles as well.

Thanks again everyone for playing! Hope to see you then.

"Game Moderator resurrects Micklebur"

huh?

In any case, thanks Stareye for moderating! It was a fun time. I won despite being largely in the dark about most of the roles; I basically relied on the absence of the Infiltrator after I felt Gladwell die and then threw myself on the mercy of the other players.

Alright, this is meant without offense, but the Aimee role... sucked. My position in this game was more like that of the spectator. I was almost completely helpless to do anything; In fact, my only options every day were to try and connive and to throw out a stunner. The Aimee role's purpose to help the Avernites to victory is somewhat sorely hampered by the fact that Aimee has no idea who the Avernite roles are, and has no way to protect any allies or itself. And it also doesn't help that some of the people you're trying to help are out to kill you (Thanks for the backstab, Sarachim... frown ). The stunner's practically useless in stopping attacks; the stunned person can just go to someone else to make the kill instead.

Unfortunately, this results in Aimee pretty much getting swept along helplessly. The impact the role can have on the game is minimal unless the role was in the hands of a master manipulator.

Furthermore, Aimee's an easy target. Since anyone who attacks her instantly learns her role without any retribution, they can then pass it on to the Anama Priest/Gladwell/Vahkohs/Wand of Death. And there's not a whole lot Aimee can do to stop them, either.

I like the idea of Aimee as a support player, but there's not a whole lot of support Aimee can actually give. She can't trade for items, revealing her role to random strangers is suicidal, and information only goes so far. Maybe if she had a few more abilities to compensate, it might work. But as it is, the Aimee role is rather boring.

Anyway, it's just my two cents. I look forward to seeing the Northern Isles come back in a few weeks!

Originally Posted By: Sporefrog
Huge alliances are amazingly broken... if you can get past the huge paranoia of thinking you're going to get backstabbed.

When will people learn this? If you want to win this game, you need friends. Multiple friends. Yeah, there's a risk in making alliances, but not doing so is close to a guaranteed lose.

Everyone's gotten better at not giving away everything they know to the first person they ask, but there's still only a handful of players who really have the ability to put a winning team together - and they all generally end up on the same side. tongue

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Stuff

I've never played Aimee, but she really does not seem to be too bad. In a big alliance she'll probably look overpowered. She's a potent ally for every avernite. She's tough to kill (out of the four ways she can die, one kills everyone in the game, one may not even exist and is enemies with everyone, and the other two don't need her dead). And she can go around cursing people for you. The problem is that (despite how good you've gotten at disguising your role, no one had any clue of who you were) you haven't yet gotten the hang on how to form alliances (see: Ash's post). You were particularly hurt because your best ally (the Gladwell) got killed almost instantly. Perhaps Stareye should change the Micklebur's nationality, so that an Aimee/Anama alliance would be easier. Yet contacting the Anama early (before the Dionicio joined), would've still helped you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not just about forming the alliance, but to do so early on. Had Bain contacted me (and trusted me with his role) before Tarson, he would've won. Had Doomy contacted me before I decided to help the Anama, he and the Shanker would've won and the anama would've lost. (After we found out you, Rowen, used the wand of death on PGLB, we were going to Wand of Death you, and put boxes of traps around mine and Sarachim's house). And it just keeps going on and on.

As per the "sorely hampered by the fact that Aimee has no idea who the Avernite roles are, and has no way to protect any allies or itself." bit, she doesn't need to protect herself (see above) and she offers protection to others by cursing whoemever they need dead or is planning on killing them. And how many of us don't begin PMs with "are you Avernum or empire?" to narrow down roles? Most people will tell you this pretty easily. I think I told you fairly early on actually. If you revealed your role to me, we could've been a team. And I could've used you so much (back when Rowen was aiming his wand of death my way tongue ). It's good to be careful, but you have to take a risk sometime. It sometimes bites you in the behind, but it's the only shot you have at winning. I rather die on day one once and win the next time then lose both games on day 4...

Also, thanks to Stareye for all his time. This cannot be said enough. We sometimes take you for granted, B. But know that you rock smile

And one last thing, PGLB: WTF? We literally fed you your enemies and you go and PM them saying "Hey? Is it true that you are the Micklebur and Rowen is the Priest?". You passed up an easy win right there.

Great work on Sarachim's part in solving that mess (you are an evil genius). And Sporefrog: Thank you for your most sincere and forgiving heart tongue

Well, the problem with a Anama/Aimee alliance is this: Micklebur needs all mages dead. Aimee is a mage. And guess who the more valuable role to the Anama Priest is? The one that can detect mages and kill with a level of impunity, or the one who can shoot out a stun and otherwise be dead weight?

Anyway, the stun isn't really that powerful. Sure, you can stop someone from attacking... but it doesn't stop said someone from setting someone else to the task. As for Aimee being nearly invulnerable, she's really a sitting duck. All that's needed is for someone to attack, or for someone to find out your role, and go running to someone who can act on it. And there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Anyway, I know I'm still not a great player, but it feels like it'd take an absolute expert to play this role successfully. Furthermore, it still leaves one flaw: There's not really that much Aimee can do to influence the game. She's more like a spectator than a player. It relies on trying to control the other 15 players, which is about the same as trying to dam a river with a stick. No matter how much (dis)information you fling around, you'd only get so far.

Originally Posted By: Marlenny
Originally Posted By: Nioca
Stuff
back when Rowen was aiming his wand of death my way tongue )
I never had it aimed at you. As soon as you said that PGLB was Gladwell I targeted him and waited for the 24 hour no kill to end. The threats at you were just because we were mad that within a matter of hours everyone knew who I was. That forced me to say I was the Alchemist and try to like like I was a noob in the game.

I thought that this game would have seen two alliances form. If there was another alliance then I was unaware the whole game about it.

As for the Anama plan for the game. My thoughts was to try to get as many members in the first day and the second day as I could. Then with members we would just all kill off one person. Soon I found that letting Sporefrog, Mar, and Sara negotiate was better then killing off everyone at once. Once Sara and Ash joined the Anama I felt much better about having a chance at winning the game.

Stareye did a very great job of controlling the game. It seems to me there was a lot of actions of trading items back to back and he seemed to keep on top of it. I just want to extend a thank you to him for all his work to put on such a great game.

EDIT: The reason that so many people "backstabbed" each other is that they had joined the Anama. My main push was to try to get people to join as soon as they found out who I was. Spore and I put Mar under a lot of pressure trying to get her to join and when she said no that scared us. If no one had joined the Anama then we would not have had people that needed Spore and I to win and we would have lost.

Originally Posted By: Marlenny
And one last thing, PGLB: WTF? We literally fed you your enemies and you go and PM them saying "Hey? Is it true that you are the Micklebur and Rowen is the Priest?". You passed up an easy win right there.

I made the stupid mistake of accidentally PM'ing Sporefrog "I've heard Sporefrog is Micklebur" instead of sending it to somebody else. Yeaah. tongue

I thought it had been a mistaken PM, PGLB, hahahahaha.

I was like, "He's never referred to people in the third person before..."

We already knew you were Gladwell, so actually, if it had been me in control of the wand of death and not Marlenny, I would have been sorely tempted to wand of death her. From my point of view, it looked like she was selling us out to you, since nobody else knew our identities (or so I thought).

I'm aware Micklebur is a net drain on the Anama team. I am going to change his victory condition to:

Kill three mages by your own hand. Gladwell counts as two. You may use the Holy Symbol once to reduce the number of required kills to two.

Nioca: Sorry about the backstabbing. I only do that when I have to to help one of the allies I already have. If by pure chance I investigated you first, we probably would have gone out and destroyed the Anama together.

As for the spectator thing, well, there are several roles that have a limited capacity to directly affect the game. Shanker come to mind. The key is finding allies who you can work with in a support role. Aimee is blessed in that department, because she has lots of potential allies and very few enemies.

Thank you everyone for your support. smile

First, I'm going to shorten the maximum length of the game to five days. Otherwise, the game ends when all roles have definitively won or lost. This will help out what I am going into next.

Shanker will be a bit different in the next game. I'm going to remove a lot of her enemies and change her around as follows. She will keep her standard skill and physical immunity.

Ability: When attacked, your skill will be power for the duration of the battle. You may submit a list of up to four pairs of living players where no one player is used twice. You will learn the attitude between the pairs (friendly, neutral, enemy).

Victory: Game ends at the conclusion of day five. For this to happen, the outcome of all the victory conditions must not be decided by that time.

As for enemies, she will still be an Imperial, so Ronaldo and Aimee will dislike her. She will be a mage, so the Anama will not be crazy about her either. However, they will not necessarily need her dead any more.

This will hopefully help people with the formation of alliances. Shanker is a pretty safe role with her physical immunity and lack of hard enemies. In fact, she lacks a motive to kill just about everyone because she wants the game to end in stalemate. The reason having her is to help players make alliances.

Originally Posted By: *i
I'm aware Micklebur is a net drain on the Anama team. I am going to change his victory condition to:

Kill three mages by your own hand. Gladwell counts as two. You may use the Holy Symbol once to reduce the number of required kills to two.

I'd probably have it that either the Gladwell counts as two or the Holy Symbol can reduce the number by one. Otherwise, (considering how freaking strong he is), he'd have it too easy.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
EDIT: Can a player throw items or artifacts away so that they are no longer in the game? e.g. Rowen tosses out the Fury Crossbow.
If people can throw away artifacts... then perhaps, to keep them in the game, they could be found by a random person.