Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Lets Play Blades of Avernum

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic
Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:30 AM #211 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

For the most part, I think I haven't been blessing him because I've been forgetting, or... something.  I dunno, actually.

Tricky this guy may be, but beatable he certainly is.

Spoiler

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,611 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:36 AM #212 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Much like water boiling in a closed pot sitting on a stove, tensions are rising and things are getting closer to a violent outcome.  How much longer can we remain trapped here before things get violent?

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:32 AM #213 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

IMPORTANT NOTE:
You're probably coming close to a part of the Peninsula Camp sequence that regularly has an Unhandled Exception for Windows users. If you hit what appears to be a terminal bug at a fairly dramatic juncture in a camp on a mountain, I think I know why and can pass along a patch if you post the problem here. (Or email me at tomwatts5 (at) gmail (dot) com.) It doesn't appear to be completely consistent, though, so you may not have any problems.

OTHER RANDOM THOUGHTS:
There are some moments when I actually laugh out loud, and "I don't know how long" the sequence in the next cave is going to be at the end of this episode was one of them. That's the Berekh Hive, so, you know, very long! Looking forward to it!

I did finally run that test on Slow, and yes, magic immunity not only gives a chance to resist Slow altogether but also reduces the amount of Slow rendered. But I wasn't able to determine a simple formula for how those relate. It wasn't exactly consistent, which makes me think that it's probabilistic (i.e., uses dice). Also, the chance to resist doesn't seem to be straightforward either. I gave one creature 60% magic immunity, but it didn't resist even once (out of about six or seven tries), but the Demon Warriors in Exodus have 50% magic immunity and were resisting about half the time. And I wasn't able to figure out under what circumstances the Slow status takes effect, either; some high-level monsters seem unaffected by low levels of Slow, but it wasn't obvious when and why.

But this suggests to me that casting Slow on high-level magic-resistant monsters has limited effect, unless you can cast it three or four times. (In contrast, casting Slow three or four times on non-magic resistant monsters does little more than casting Slow once or twice.)

Interesting. I don't think I ever knew this before.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,611 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:10 AM #214 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I'll keep your "Peninsula Camp" comment in mind, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Oh good lord what fresh hell is this.... well, let's invade and destroy this den of... things.  WITH BEARS!!!!

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:59 AM #215 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I'm reminded of a line out of the thank-yous to the beta testers in the readme: "Nikki, who wanted the Berekh Hive suitable for a family show."

I don't think I ever got Arcane Summon high enough to get the Grizzlies. I guess at that level Arcane Summon doesn't suck. Also, holy moly, Lethal Blow is powerful. Might not be a bad idea to train to get that skill to higher levels.

LOL at not saving! Oops!

Looking forward to the next couple of episodes! The second Dalaghant fight is a fun one, and the cut scene upon the return to the Lava Ocean Camp is my favorite juxtaposition of separate plots (Berekh Hive and Phaedra's pregnancy) in probably all of my scenarios.

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• 1,611 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:41 AM #216 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I think the thing with Arcane Summon and how useful it is depends on how many different types of creatures you can summon, and how many of them are actually GOOD.  The previous level had about 4 or 5 different creatures that could be summoned, but only one, the Demons, was actually useful.  You only had a 20-25% chance of getting something useful.  This level, however, there's only two types of creatures you can summon, and one is useful.  50% chance of getting something good.  It's all a gamble, and this level is the best you can get at this point.  Of course, I got REALLY lucky that run, and got lots of bears.  I was much less lucky over the next period of time, hence why it took me another hour and a half of failed runs to get through the place.

But I skipped through those runs.  The demon returns once more... time to finish him once and for all.

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:59 AM #217 Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

I think I must have deliberately nerfed the second Dalaghant fight, which I did presumably because it follows the Breeding Pit and people are likely to feel more or less how you did when you got there (exhausted). Dalaghant's script doesn't use a typical version of Status Nearby; it uses a version that allows for resisting the status, which you mostly did because you had such an extraordinarily high resistance to mental effects by that point. That's interesting (I had forgotten that I did that), and it also seems about right. The Berekh Hive is supposed to be exhausting but not necessarily all that hard.

Because the frame of mind you're supposed to have walking into the final Lava Ocean cut scene is, "Oh my god, I'm exhausted, I've been fighting demons and berekhs in this hive of disgusting filth and obscenity for so long I can hardly stand, and now I'm heading back to camp for some rest -- um, what is happening here?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lets Play, Blades of Avernum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users