GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

GF5 Geneforge mod script modification

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic
alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 16,946
  • 665 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:20 AM #36 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

BUMP TO PREVENT SPAM-LOSS
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

"Ohhh, no! No, it's so close! So close!" - Blxz, ambushed by an Unbound

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:29 AM #37 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

Bumping this thread is unnecessary, Alhoon. It is linked in the G5 strategy central thread at the top of the forum. Anyone looking for G5 info would hopefully check there and end up finding the link to here. :D

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:01 PM #38 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

Also, threads are not auto-locked or auto-archived or anything after any amount of time.  OTOH, when you make a "bump" post everyone who accesses the site primarily through the "recent posts" feature (which is a lot of us) then click on your "bump" post and most likely get annoyed.  So please don't do that unless you actually have a reason to call attention back to the thread you're bumping.  (I've gone ahead and deleted your bump in the other discussion thread.  If there was a reason for it, feel free to rebump it with an actual explanation of why you're calling it to our attention :)
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 665 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:20 PM #39 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

There was not any reason to bump them, and I have reported the three-four bump posts I made. If you would be so kind to delete them all, cause I can't? Sorry for the fuss. I didn't know that threads are not deleted after they go say, page 10.

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 665 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:15 PM #40 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

A quick catch-up on my activities: I managed to use the GF5 editor I found on this site to successfully add creatures that a zone didn't have.
While that may not seem too important, it unties my hands as I can choose the areas that make sense for the quests I want to make without the constraint of what types of creature were there.
For example, I can in the future have a quest for the PC to create a servant mind for his base or have an agent try to assassinate the PC and more, Much more!

So far, I haven't uploaded anything new. But things are happening in the warrior mod. While it's less ambitious than the Shaper one, it has more content.

Gameman112358 Gameman112358

Mercenary

• Member ID: 18,737
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:57 PM #41 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

@Alhoon So you can essentially add completely new characters to the game now? That sounds pretty groundbreaking to me, considering that wasn't really possible before. What editor are you using to do it? I actually kinda want that editor, mainly because I'm trying to add my own characters to GF5 (Big fan of the game, btw). I was trying to go for something like in GF3, where you have long term companions that go with you, they have their own opinions, weapon upgrades, etc. I've been struggling because simply because I wasn't able to add new characters (Among other things), but it sounds like you found a way.

Btw, I'm new here, so hello everyone! Big fan of Geneforge, as you can probably tell. :)

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 665 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:53 PM #42 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

Hello Gameman! I'm really glad you are willing to add to the game and I believe a mod that adds companions with backstories, opinions etc would be useful.
Truth be told, I'm using companions in the Warrior mod but they're available in the late game.

Know that any kind of alteration requires a lot of effort.

To add people, I used that editor (http://spiderwebforu...zone-simulator/). The first links are broken, but down the line there's one that works.
It is not an easy one to use, let me tell you that.

What you want to do, add people, can be done by the editor. However, you can at times "add" people by taking someone and changing their name and stats from the script and that's x10 easier.
Remember in Perikalia, that you "buy" a battle Alpha? The same script can be used to add anyone in your party, as long as you go through the quite long trial-and-error to find their number.
For example, Phyllida, in Gazaki Uss can be added to your party from the script with " add_char_to_party(74); "
To remove her, it requires a bit more trial and error... You need to find her total number. For Phyllida, it is 1205. So, to remove her from the party you need a script command of " remove_char_from_party(1205); "

There are a lot of random people here and there that you could "repurpose". Want an agent? Take that lazy gal in Alwan's fort, move her to a cell or something, rename her, change her level and give her a backstory and a quest.
Need a mage? There are some bandit mages that you could swing away and turn them from bandits, to bandit captives.
That kind of thing.

Where things get tough and actually require the editor in my opinion is when you have a good reason to want to put a high-level quest in a low-level area. Sure, you could have the player fighting 35 level cryoras but... wouldn't it be better to have wingbolts and kyshaaks there? That's where you need the editor.

If you need any pointers, I would be happy to help. We could do it in private messages if you prefer, or you can open another thread and get the opinion of the several veterans here.

Mercenary

• 79 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:01 PM #43 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

@alhoon So you've been using the Zone Simulator to make new characters, huh? Strange. It always seems to lead me to a site that says "access denied" for me, even when using the links further below the post, but maybe that's because I'm trying to access the site via a Macbook.

Believe me when I say this, I've done what you've described before, taking certain characters and modifying them to suit my needs. Changing characters and shuffling them around is, like you said, easy. The problem for me lies with the fact that:
1) It takes a character from a zone to do so, meaning that it can look kinda awkward to see. It's easy to notice too. (I've downloaded your Shaper mod, and while I do love the new things you can do in Rockfall, it was noticeable that you were reusing the characters in the Rockfall zone to do so. The creations you create to defend your base, the attacks, all reused characters. Also, I noticed that when you get attacked, your defending creations all disappear. I looked at the code, and again, you're having to use the defending creations as the attacking force. Not dissing you, just pointing out that it probably would've been more convenient if you were able to add completely new characters to zones, like you have done now).
2) I'm limited on what I can do regarding the graphics of the individual. While it would be easy in some cases to simply take a generic warrior with you (which I've done plenty of times), I was sorta going for a more unique look for the companion in my game.

Being able to add new characters would make it a lot less awkward. Like you said alhoon, you no longer have to reuse characters in a zone; you can add completely new ones. For me, that means it is possible to add a brand new unique character to the game. Though from the sounds of it, it sounds like the Zone Simulator might require something like hex editing. No experience with that, I will admit, but it won't stop me for trying.

I could try to open another thread regarding this. I was sorta thinking I would put what I had in mind for a character in this thread and what I did, seeing as this thread is what convinced me to try editing the game scripts, as well as the fact that this thread could open up more possible modding ideas, but if you're worried that it'll derail the thread, I'll open a new one.

Edit: BTW, I have the GF5 Disc, but I've only uploaded the game on my Macbook. I'm guessing I'm going to have to do the editing work with the Zone Simulator on a Windows computer, right?

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 665 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:09 PM #44 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

For Base defense, I had enough to go around. The turrets for example could have been there. I didn't want to bog down the fight though nor it was plausible that your enemies would attack with a minor force; better to say that part of their forces would be tied down fighting yours and have the character take on the main threat. If I would add anything in that case, it would be a guardian to lead the force and a couple more navigation points. That's what has been restricting me there.

In any case, I think that a thread dedicated to your efforts would be useful. There are people here that do much more than I do. It would be good.

Mercenary

• 79 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:36 PM #45 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

I'll consider doing the thread later. I'll be honest, compared to the stuff the people in this forum do with this game, I don't really do that much to mod the game. My efforts are pretty small compared to others, and a lot of it did require me to do a lot of things that look awkward in game (I was looking through the code, and I saw that Mehken, the servile you meet early in GF5, had her own custom entry. I completely changed the entry, altering the graphics, abilities, etc., putting my own character in, but what made it awkward is that the custom entry is also used at the Pacification Fields. Basically means that new character meets you at the fields. It was thematically awkward, and I realized that I would have to change around the dialogue and script for a lot of the game, since I've essentially made it so that Mehken never meets the player in the Whitespires).

Also, to give you an idea on the character I was working on implementing: It is a character that you meet very early on in GF4. You (the player) had to deal with this character early on in the game. It is also a character that some people think could've been the GF5 protagonist.

Edit: alhoon, you talked about the total number for each character. How do you find that? Do you just test every number possible until you find it? Or did you use some other way to do it? I'm not exactly sure how the total number thing works exactly...

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:11 AM #46 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

View PostGameman112358, on 03 January 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Also, to give you an idea on the character I was working on implementing: It is a character that you meet very early on in GF4. You (the player) had to deal with this character early on in the game. It is also a character that some people think could've been the GF5 protagonist.

Is this the damaged shaper chick that can be freed, killed or handed to the shapers by any chance? An interesting party member to be sure.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 665 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:27 AM #47 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

Shaila. Certainly interesting and she did end up to the Foundry probably if you give her to the Shapers. I don't think she can be freed though. Your choices are kill her or give her to the Shapers to "cure" her.

Mercenary

• 79 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:43 PM #48 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

Both of you are correct. I implemented Shaila into the game, though I had to use Mehken's character slot to do so (It was the most convenient at the time). I'll talk more about her implementation and what I tried to do and some of the problems with her addition in the other thread alhoon opened up (Namely, the fact that I tried to code in weapon upgrades for her that you can buy, much like your companions in GF3. Couldn't do it, at least for now).

idonotexist42 idonotexist42

Mercenary

• Member ID: 18,409
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:00 PM #49 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

Is there a link to download the scripts most current stable version of this mod? and has the Shalia mod been merged into it? would the two be mutually exclusive if they aren't merged???

I ask this partly because both sound really cool but also because I dabble in modding the scripts (nothing as fancy or deep as you guys I mainly edit items and creations for balancing purposes and coolness) and I want to install these before I start screwing with stuff myself.

My tweaks are mainly rebalancing the game by making sure that the upgraded version of creations was actually an upgrade, buffing the ones that actually sucked, making certain weapons cooler and more powerful and such and then after I was done buffing things that would help the character, I then increased the health and power of enemies accordingly so the character wouldn't be OP and slaughter everything effortlessly. In G3&4 I had to make much more drastic changes but in G5 I found the game mostly balanced well and feels like the way I would have done it so I didn't have to do as much.

Mercenary

• 79 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:43 PM #50 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

I'm afraid that my modifications regarding the implementation of Shaila are for my personal experimentation only at the moment. I might consider releasing mods at some point, but it won't be for a long, long while. Sorry.

My modding abilities is not nearly as impressive as alhoon's, but this game isn't too hard to modify once you figure out what to do. For me, I started modding more extensively when I saw alhoon's first mod released, and I was already messing with the scripts before I starting going deeper, much like you are right now. Wouldn't be hard for you to go deeper into modding his game, if you're willing to take the time to do so. :)

Out of curiousity, which upgraded creations did you think weren't so good? There might be a chance I've done similar modifications to upgraded creations forms, and I can give a couple of ideas on how to buff certain creations, if you want. :)

Mercenary

• 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:43 PM #51 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

word, well I look forward to you getting a more stable version put together hopefully and wish you luck there. The way I judged whether the upgrades were upgrades or not was by reading the third party game guides other people had written where'd they'd looked at the actual differences between the two versions in the script and done like statistical analysis about it and such. Mainly it was the creations where the only difference between the base creation and the upgraded version was that the upgrade started at a higher level and so if you'd kept one of the base creation around long enough it'd be just as strong or stronger for less essence by the time you got the upgrade. The Artilla upgrades I think were victims of this, and the Battle Alpha vs Battle Beta was a major offender (especially since apparently a leveled up thad you'd kept around could be stronger than a Battle Alpha to begin with if I remember correctly from what I've read)

In some cases I nerfed the base creation slightly; in G3 and up (G2 was too unstable and I couldn't change it near as much) I created a "poison spit" and "acid spit" ability and gave the Artila the weaker Poison spit and then gave the Searing Artila the actual Searer ability. Then I gave the Roamer the Acid Spit instead of Searer to differentiate them more. I also gave the Searing Artila poison bite for its melee attack (this I could actually do in G1&2) The useless Pyroroamer I replaced with a "Cryoroamer" in keeping with the Fyora and Drayk. The Thahd Shade even though it was already decent I gave the Freezing touch attack that Shades have (and I also turned him blue). Some creations got skills, resistances and armor added, health was tweaked, stuff like that. In some cases I even buffed the Upgrades that were already decent but I didn't feel were different enough flavor wise, like the Glaahk and Ur-Glaahk, the Battle Alpha and Beta. For those two the changes were "under the hood" since they still played the same except they were noticeably tougher and hit harder.

Charged creations got significant buffs because I felt that they were mostly useless and as such didn't use them spending all my essence on permanent creations. With Kyshaks I actually gave the original Kyshak the weaker lighting spray type attack instead of the stronger one it initially had and gave the burning Kyshakk the better one. The charged Vlish in G5 I gave one of the Podling AOE attacks.

Once I had finished adjusting everything the buffed upgrades didn't feel OP but they did feel significantly stronger and more distinct from the base creations. If you managed to get them early they were OP vs the low level foes you were fighting but lost that advantage as you progressed into higher level areas and were merely even with them and then eventually couldn't keep up. I tried to make it so the Upgraded versions of the creations in one tier were roughly equipotent to the base creations of the next tier, with the exception being the charged creations which I made slightly OP and went with what felt cool as much as what felt balanced since they were temporary.  

This was all done before the Hard Drive on my Laptop had failed and so I lost everything and I'm starting from scratch but I don't mind.

I'd messed with Items a lot too, made the Burning Blade actually do Fire Damage, gave the Guardian Claymore Stunning. I remember that I had tried to give weapons multiple special effects by assigning them some of the stat for the item enhancement (since that was a stat with a number like the skills and resistances and stuff) so it could like slow and curse for example. If I remember right I think it worked but it might have made it impossible to add another enhancement to it on the anvil because it came pre-enchanted.

I think I had also given the item enhancement stats to creations and if I remember correctly those did actually work but I'm not sure and I'll have to test it again.

With Weapons I focussed on the coolness factor mainly but also tried to make it so that the higher level later game weapons were all useful enough and distinct enough to keep them all around and switch between them situationally. This was because I hated killing a boss or clearing an area and getting a reward and going "oh, this is sorta cool but I already have something stronger so I guess it just gets sold off for cash" I wanted to eliminate being so let down by loot. I created a couple weapons that were like wands that never ran out, or had attacks that creations had but not you, like a hammer (yes I changed the graphic to the hammer and made it blue, and it was a pain in the ass to figure out how to do it) that did the stunning energy attack that Gazers have.

When I was screwing with the graphic sheets and whatnot for the items to do the hammer I found out that there's actually unused item icons. There's a cool scimitar with a thick blade, for instance.

It was so fun messing with everything that I don't mind having to start all over. I've played all the games in the series multiple times, I've replayed them more than any other game so now this breathes new life into them. These games are old enough that a lot of us here have reached that stage, I think.

Mercenary

• 90 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:07 PM #52 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

oh, btw if I wanted to tweak this so it was open to all classes and not just Shapers/Lifecrafters, how would I do that?

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 665 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:30 PM #53 GF5 mod with EXTRA quest chain! More GF5 content!

If you're talking about my mod:

- Go to z2Tisenwooddlg.txt
- find: begintalknode 10;
- find and delete:  
if ( creature_type(pc_num()) != 0 && creature_type(pc_num()) != 47  ) {
   rs(7);
   }
- go to z35kratoadlg.txt
- find: begintalknode 124;
- find and delete both instances of: && ( creature_type(pc_num()) == 0 || creature_type(pc_num()) == 47 )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GF5, Geneforge, mod, script, modification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users