Questions about collection quests and timer.

Zeviz

I downloaded the game recently and have a couple question:

1. Which items should I hold on to for collection quests? My inventory is overflowing with iron bars, shaper equipment, etc. Please don't say who or where is asking for them, but just tell me what I shouldn't sell.

2. Does the timer on map screen have any effect on the game?

By the way, it looks like the hype about the game was largely justified. I like the new inventory system (no more dropping everything when combat starts) and growth of power seems to be well balanced. I can't say much about story yet, but at least it's not another shaper apprentice. smile

The only items that you'll need to stockpile are Research Notes, Swamp Herbs, and Melted Glass.

The time has no effect that I ever discovered, but I haven't poked around in scripts.

—Alorael, who thinks this game earned all its hype. It's a big improvement over its antecedents.

Quote:
Originally written by *i kicks puppies and orphans.:

—Alorael, who thinks this game earned all its hype. It's a big improvement over its antecedents.
Although I suppose G3 and G2 deserve that, I thought that the original was pure genius, particular given the originality at the time.

I guess I can't really think of G4 as an improvement over G1. I don't even think of A2 as an improvement over A1 even though it gained the much-needed quest log and is an overall better game. The first in a series is always special.

—Alorael, who is still thinks that G4's story lives up to its promises and the engine has all the polish you'd expect from a fourth installment. And the sacrosanct realm of AP has now been altered in both A4 and G4! No mechanics are safe from Spiderweb.

Quote:
Originally written by *i kicks puppies and orphans.:
The only items that you'll need to stockpile are Research Notes, Swamp Herbs, and Melted Glass.
It's actually called Melted Sand, but eh.

Also, you'll want one cake, but there's no need to hold on to more than one.

Quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:
You can always cheat to get cake.
I have a terrible admission to make. I used the "give a snack" cheat on this one, just to save time. The only way I could think of alleviating my guilt was to find another piece later, and place it next to him, amounting to the same amount of work at a different time. That didn't work, so I suppose the mockery of my peers will have to do.

Edit: More applicable quote.

Quote:
Originally written by Nalyd Twisted:
Quote:
Alorael:
No mechanics are safe from Spiderweb.
You want them to be?
Mechanics are people too. Abuse them and then see who's laughing when your car breaks down.

—Alorael, who has no complaints about any tinkering with game mechanics. In fact, tinkering may be mechanic-approved.

Quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:
On a slightly related note, where can I stash my swag without it disappearing? I have maybe 3 free inventory spots left.
My preferred cache spots are at the entrance to Southforge Citadel in the first half of the game, and in front of the quartermaster in Aziraph Rebel Camp in the second half. You can leave stuff anywhere, but putting it near a shopkeeper means you can stash and sell without making two stops.

Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
Thanks for answers and advice.

I have another question: What does percentage for armor and resistance mean? Does 50% resistance actually block half the damage and 75% resistance block 3/4 of the damage, or are the numbers just random "more is better" kind of thing?
Simply, random more is better.

Basically each value is calculated seperately, so if you have 15% and 5% and you take 100 damage, you will instead take (100-15%)-5% or ~81 (80.75) damage.

EDIT: For some reason the game looks like it's not doing that anymore, it tells you how much you resist but if I take two values of fire damage with no change in resistance, the percentage seems to fluctuate. It's still withing the rage of reason, just jumpy.

I did some intensive testing of this -- there's a topic somewhere where I had a good discussion with Thuryl about it. Anyway, the short of it is that

1) resistances are multiplied together, so two 50% pieces of armor reduce by about 75%, and

2) the actual damage reduction granted to a given attack varies somewhat. In tests, 25% armor gave reductions of about 10% to 40%, with more closer to 25%. Thuryl's idea, which makes sense, is that each individual point of damage has an X% chance of being eliminated, where X is your armor/resistance score for that type of damage.