Bennhold's Keep[G5]

Is that canister in the corner accessible, or is it just there to mock me? I cannot find any secret door switch on the north wall of the west building, and this is including pixel-hunting ala Avernum style for a switch mechanism in the wall.

Furthermore, there is absolutely no evidence in the scripts of any terrain modification code (e.g. a secret door mechanism).

Originally Posted By: Delicious Vlish
There is a lever hidden behind a pillar. In the general area. Down in the bottom right corner of the area.

Very difficult to spot.

The hidden levers started in GF4, and some of them were very evil. The one in the southeastern corner of the Breeding Pits was hidden behind a wall and seemed to be impossible to spot until you moved your mouse over it.

It seems that the hidden levers are Jeff's way to make up for the loss of the ol' Exile/Avernum secret passages. At least the levers don't force you to spend hours walking into every wall square.

Originally Posted By: The Lurker

The hidden levers started in GF4, and some of them were very evil. The one in the southeastern corner of the Breeding Pits was hidden behind a wall and seemed to be impossible to spot until you moved your mouse over it.

It seems that the hidden levers are Jeff's way to make up for the loss of the ol' Exile/Avernum secret passages. At least the levers don't force you to spend hours walking into every wall square.

You sure about that? I seem to remember them in some sorta pillar puzzle in one of the earlier Avernums.

Originally Posted By: Uber Ur-drakon
Quote:
The Hobbit's area you're referring to is called Mirkwood.

It's still copying unless Jeff didn't know about it.

I am certain that there are other Murkwoods and Mirkwoods, possibly in other languages, that predate both. Since the G5 version has nothing to do with the LotR version, I think it says more about how forests are often named and one property that they can have than anything else.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure that all plausible names for forests and oceans have been taken already. There is nothing new written under the sun.