What is it With Drakons and Assassination? (spoilers)[G5]

Send in your all powerful rot army... Come on, you know you can do it!

What class are you? What kind of character? How much magic do you have at your disposal? What sort of creations? Weapons? What are we working with? If I have to hold your hand in my tentacle and walk you through this, I need to know what we are working with.

Is anyone level 40 when getting to Ghaldring? I've been in the very low 30's or high 20's.

—Alorael, who doesn't have any great tactical advice. You're in a straight up fight if you can't convince him to go away. Either manage to eke out a victory or back to an early save, gain some levels, and try again.

I have to agree that you should have been higher level or go get some more levels to bump leadership up to 9 and avoid the fight.

You need some spores. First cast essence shield on yourself when you enter Gazaki-Uss. Cast regeneration aura before going to sleep. When the fight starts, toss an ensnaring fibers at the drakon to have a chance of slowing them down. Use beserker spores to buff the party. Then try dominate to get one of their kyshakks to help you or cast strong daze. If you are still alive the next round, then you need to heal and start advancing to pin a kyshakk against a wall so it can't use its lightning aura attack. Then concentrate fire on the drakon.

Originally Posted By: Delicious Vlish
Why have the fiery sword when as a sorceress the living knife is better? You don't need a sword. You have no melee ability and it is heavy.
Where do you get the living knife? I haven't seen it yet. Or perhaps I missed it and need to go back and look somewhere smile I'm still holding the Captain's Shiv.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Cast regeneration aura before going to sleep. When the fight starts, toss an ensnaring fibers at the drakon to have a chance of slowing them down. Use beserker spores to buff the party. Then try dominate to get one of their kyshakks to help you or cast strong daze. If you are still alive the next round, then you need to heal and start advancing to pin a kyshakk against a wall so it can't use its lightning aura attack. Then concentrate fire on the drakon.

I agree except about the berserker spores
can't you only have one aura up at a time? I find regeneration aura to be the best one in the game, although I don't have access to many

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
They give augmentation, essence shield, or essence blade. I find essence blade quite useful, about 150% (rough estimate) more damage. the other two are defensive and I haven't noticed them as much.

No, you're thinking of chaotic spores.

You can only have one aura (regen/thorns/mindshield/elemental) and one essence blessing (shield/armour/blade/infusion) at a time, but auras and essence blessings are independent of each other: you can have one of each at the same time. Essence Blade, unlike the other essence blessings, does wear off over time. It's very powerful, though.

It sounds like you're trying to play a Sorcerer as if you were playing a Servile or a Guardian. I'd say that life would go much easier on you if you had a nice meatshield or two. I hear Rots are pretty sweet, but I was playing a character (a Sorceress, incidentally) who followed Shaper law on my first run through, so I wouldn't know. Plated Crawbugs or Battle Betas work nicely, and with Regeneration Aura to free you up from constantly healing them, you should be able to play to your class's strengths better, rather than having to carry around a flaming sword that your class can use the least effectively of anyone (well, tied with Shapers/Lifecrafters).

Another viable strategy (at least in GF 4, and I assume it would still work in GF 5) is to play a sort of sniper/guerrilla warrior, playing a strong-magic character and running a small number of missile based creations, to sneak up on enemies and either kill or cripple them with a single surprise barrage, and use daze/dominate/charm/mass madness for crowd control if you get in trouble. Of course, if your party was built up for that, this fight would be rather painful, as you're facing three enemies with very high hit points who are perfectly content trading missile attacks with you. Unless you can charm one of his Kyssaks.

Originally Posted By: Serene Tempest
Another viable strategy (at least in GF 4, and I assume it would still work in GF 5) is to play a sort of sniper/guerrilla warrior, playing a strong-magic character and running a small number of missile based creations, to sneak up on enemies and either kill or cripple them with a single surprise barrage, and use daze/dominate/charm/mass madness for crowd control if you get in trouble. Of course, if your party was built up for that, this fight would be rather painful, as you're facing three enemies with very high hit points who are perfectly content trading missile attacks with you. Unless you can charm one of his Kyssaks.

Ah, the glass gatling gun strategy. This is what I did on my G5 playthrough. You can do it with either a lifecrafter or a sorceress (or even a Shock Trooper, although that tends to involve less mental magic and more batons): there are advantages and disadvantages to each, but it works out more or less the same. It's less effective in G5 than it was in G4 because of the changes to haste, but it's still quite viable.

Serviles don't have enough essence to have creature reliance like that. You're better off as a tank with a baton.

—Alorael, who does not think Geneforge is a game particularly forgiving of not having or using spells. You can do it, but it's rather more challenging than the game is intended to be. As others have said often, if you don't have basic healing spells you are going to die a lot.

You've said it before, but that's poor optimization. Many of the spells are much cheaper than the upper tier creations and you'll get a lot of use out of them. It's not as though gold is so limited that you won't be able to make your necessary purchases.

—Alorael, who isn't even sure how you've managed to get to where you are with only Minor Heal. The other healing spells are practically required. And many useful spells are available from books and canisters!