Fed Up with Gladwell - SPOILERS

Thrasher

After two Items, I think I've had enough of having to kill for him. The drake was bad enough, but then the innocent Anama farmers was too much.

Should I try to kill him now that I've been compelled at Muck for the 3rd item, or should I just grit my teeth and stick with him to keep the stat boosts? I'm thinking I'm going to have steal the 3rd item anyways to avoid the curse once I leave Muck to serve justice.

It's up to you to stick with the devil you know or not since you took that Faustian bargain. One thing is that the remaining geas quests can be done without angering their towns (sort of).

I usually just kill Gladwell for the loot in his Keep. Too bad you can't get the remaining rewards that way.

For the first two rewards I picked the mage stuff. Those rewards were pretty nice. For a magic oriented party, not sure if the other rewards are worth it? Maybe the weapons for my slith spearman?

From a roleplaying point of view, though, my characters don't like what the geas has forced them to do. So it seems right to end it now.

Hopefully they can handle Gladwell. Losing the stat boosts though will be bad (especially the effect on encumbrance).

Can I remove Gladwell and the geas without losing the stat boni?

For most players the rewards for helping Gladwell make for a stronger party (mostly the stat boost). The downside is that you can never join the Anama (not really a big loss) and you make at least two towns go hostile.

It's really up to the player. Most take Gladwell's offer at least once.

My characters have already decided that Gladwell is evil and must be destroyed. They just don't know if they should give up the boni so others will give them quests. From a RP point of view considering what the geas has made them do so far, it makes sense that they remove the geas for fear of future evil acts (given no pre-knowledge)...

Out of curiosity, what happens if you keep the geas and don't kill Gladwell ever? Is this even an option? I'm about to go kill him because he pisses me off and I don't think I have the patience to play a THIRD time for a while. My second time playing will be to not take the geas at all...

Originally Posted By: Synergy
He's going to piss you off even more when you try to kill him. The confrontation is a teeth-gritter.

-S-

Definitely. My second time through, I killed all the other critters first, retreated and refreshed, and came back again to take on G and his army of shades. Even then, it was a hard fight.

Yes, I figured it out using summons and pinning him with my meat shield slith, while my spell casters pounded him from a distance, and healing the meatshield. Used arcane shield and steel skin to protect the slith. Amazingly I have'nt had to switch out any protective equipment yet for special battles. O focurse, I tend to build my charcters to be very defensive (good endurance, and protective skills).

First time though, it was quite shocking how quickly everyone died!

The Bonemaster was pretty tough too. It would take out one character in one shot!

Ha. Well it's a LOOONG way from the drake. If you don't want to kill the drake you'll have to suffer the curse from the Geas through a couple major areas ...

You could consider it penance for not listening to your conscience when taking the Geas...

Or you could kill the drake and generate more hatred for Gladwell for when you finally confront him. Although the next item is also bad.

Originally Posted By: Thrasher
If you don't want to kill the drake you'll have to suffer the curse from the Geas through a couple major areas ...

You could consider it penance for not listening to your conscience when taking the Geas...

so there is a way to move on to tranquility without killing the drake? i mean, i'm ok with it, i have save files where i killed her and where i didnt, I just wondered if there was a way to kill him sooner rather than later... and there arent any consequences for killing avernites in harkins landing?

incidentally, my conscience pangs me slightly more for killing ronaldo rather than the drake... (cant remember how to spell her name.)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are no consequences at all for killing Avernites except for politically important figures (politically important to the Empire, that is... so, not including, say, the mayor of Harkin's Landing)... and when you do kill somebody important then the justice is very swift: a dialog box appears telling you that you've been hunted down and then executed. Game over.

EDIT: Also, nobody in A5 seems to give a damn about any other town in the frontier. You can kill off everyone in Harkin's Landing and nobody will be any sadder for it.

Really, there should be consequences for this kind of stuff... at the very least in the form of bounty hunters or vengeful relatives.

In your mind and body, yes. If I remember right, when you get to the gate there's a dialog box that tells you that you have a vision of a drake in some underground chamber and that some internal compulsion is preventing you from leaving until you have her skin... also that you feel a literally irresistible desire for that skin. If you try to turn the wheel to open the gate, your desire for the skin will physically restrain you.