Master of the Pit

Matchstk

Hello all. Long time fan of Jeff's work, all the way back to the first Exile. I'll never forgive him for the moving floors in the factory in Exile III, but the man creates the best RPGs in the world.

Alright - Soultaker's Pit and the Master of the Pit. I make my way to the Master, the bridges fall, I can't do much damage to the guy, suddenly I'm cursed and within three or four turns, my party dies outright. It must have something to do with the sarcophogi in the corners, but brute force doesn't do it, so I must be missing something.

How do I manage this fight?

Thanks.

Any time you get the death curse, you need to run your party up to the sarcophagi, and 'use' it, which will clear the curse off of the party. But, and this is important, it will only clear the curse from PCs within a few spaces from the sarcophagus when you use it.

I found it to be useful to stall the enemies with some summons, and then peg the Master with ranged attacks and spells from a safe distance. He doesn't use the curse every turn, so use that to your advantage.

I did the fight without touching any altar once, just heal your characters as soon as they take the damage.

Although, I did have a lvl 48 singleton at the time (everybody in the forums was yelling about how hard the Soultaker is, not mentioning that he was incredibly easy for a singleton so I didn't go to his dungeon until I started besieging Dorikas' Fortress.)

I loved this one - a scenario that forces you to fight on the run.

It actually ended up being rather easy (after reloading it a few times) as long as noone got stuck behind and slowed by a nearby enemy, and as long as the other zombies (ferget exactly what they were) don't get blocked and so run around the other way to get in front of you.

Invulnerability does block death curses — Bryce discovered this. At high enough levels, you can resist enough damage to survive it, at least on Normal difficulty. This may only be realistic for singletons, though, because you really need a lot of resistance. But I don't mind using a cheat like invulnerability to beat a cheat like a death curse. At least you need to time it right so that the invulberability is still working when you succumb to the curse.

Invulnerability potions work on torment at least against the death curse in Tiacourna's second test in the West Tower. Knocks 600+ damage down to an easy heal. This is probably the only way for singletons to buy enough time for timer encounters where they can't deal out megadamage.

• 1 year later...

Er. Resurrecting this thread for a question. Is there any way out of the Pit without killing the Pit Master and the Soultaker? I've been having no trouble with the undead so far (about halfway), but it's possible I'm in over my head, based on what I'm reading here. Trouble is, my last save before descending is also before defeating Gladwell (facepalm), which I really don't want to have to do again.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Edit: Sweet! Autosave saved the day.