Dispel a Barrier through the script

Stains are *usually* cosmetic. However, if you're writing a script where the character revives corpses found on the ground, it can be very annoying to get stuck like that.

Now that I think about it, a call could be placed in all creature scripts which would place a "blood stain" item upon death... That would work, wouldn't it?

Yes, but what he wants is for there to be a removable blood stain, and there's no reliable, non-buggy way to remove stains in the current version of BoA.

A problem with making them items would be that a player could walk around picking up blood stains off the ground, which would be silly.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't vampires only drink the blood of the living?

You could feed corpses to dogs. Or, as would be more likely in the world of Avernum, bring them to a healer so they can be revived. I mean, the player's party brings its dead members to healers, right? There's no reason beyond game mechanics why they couldn't do it with someone else's corpse.

Ha ha ha, I should rephrase that, but I won't. It amuses me.

Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:
Don't vampires only drink the blood of the living?
You could feed corpses to dogs. Or, as would be more likely in the world of Avernum, bring them to a healer so they can be revived. I mean, the player's party brings its dead members to healers, right? There's no reason beyond game mechanics why they couldn't do it with someone else's corpse.
Ha ha ha, I should rephrase that, but I won't. It amuses me.
Maybe it's just me, bit I don't get the amusing part... frown

- Archmagus Micael

One possible idea- you could have creatures drop a few "general" types of corpses. Humanoid, Beast, Slime, etc., and whatever else you'd be interested in. Then, make undead types like "Skeleton", "Beast Skeleton", "Undead Slime", etc. (Maybe you can have 'really powerful' varieties for more devious enemies.) Have the call apply to a rectangle (see the Codex for that), and create creatures on those spaces.

And hey- you could have it so that it becomes worthwhile for the party to pick up those totally-unwieldy corpses, since they can revive 'em in future battles!

Heck, you could even have a mission where you need an attractive date to get into the ball, and one of the town prositutes wouldn't look so bad as a dressed-up zombie...

Right. Well, take the idea as you will.

This is ridiculous but you could make the bloodstains as monsters. When you killed them they would disappear. Basically a really slow moving one hp monster. You kill it, it disappears. Ha. :p Or you could make an immobile monster which you would have to kill and it would disappear. Have the picture of a monster-- a door monster. You hit it and it dies no longer blocking the opening.

Quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:
What possible reason could adventurers have of picking up corpses? (apart from giving them to vampires ofcourse)

- Archmagus Micael
Quote:
Stains are *usually* cosmetic. However, if you're writing a script where the character revives corpses found on the ground, it can be very annoying to get stuck like that.
^
That.

Of course the other possibilities that were mentioned are not bad, either... (mostly)

Hmm... Collect bodies and sell them to a necromancer... burn them to prevent their becoming zombies...

Making your own undead army is the best idea so far, in my opinion. It's great.

So that's that. Problem solved. But the original barrier still stands: how to make a monster which, rather than summoning, uses resources to make zombies. In combat. Most likely through a script.

Or, to rephrase: what's the best way to make the PCs able to revive corpses in battle, rather than running back to town for help from the stupid healers. PC ability? A ritual perhaps? Or maybe an item with necromatic powers?