G2 - Need some advice

I'm having some difficulty with the battle alphas near the Rising bridge, although I just got some crystals (madness, swarm, and ensnaring) that I haven't tried yet. They're not too bad unless I have to fight them all at once.

I'm a level 18 unaligned shaper. Should I be doing something else right now? I've explored and cleared most of the map to the northeast except for the crystal mines and Experimental Chambers. I haven't found Tuldaric yet.

My shaping skills aren't very high. I have 3 points in each, and I haven't killed all of the monsters in Sharon's Grove. I still have to do the Ellhrah's Tomb quest, kill the 3 bandits, and find a cure for the serviles. I've been putting points in intelligence {8}, leadership (6), and mechanics (6). I have 7 points in missile weapons. The highest level creation I have is the searing artila, and I don't have any money to learn anything else. Even if I get past the battle alphas, the two creations on the other side can kill me quickly.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Edit: I have Ty's quest to kill Twini, but I'm trying to avoid killing anyone who doesn't attack me first.

Edited by BloomingLilac
Added a comment

You didn't mention difficulty level, but on normal level you can get for some suboptimal builds. Also how many creations are in your party. As a Shaper you need more since they do the damage for you. Also having a higher Shaping type skill makes your creations more powerful.

Having so high an intelligence is not useful since you don't need as much to buff your party before combat. It would be more useful in essence mastery to have more creations and use the essence to make them have more levels and abilities. You would want searing artilas to be able to their cone acid spray every round so they can hit several targets each round to overlap damage.

Using items with mechanics bonus will get you mechanics 7 so you can go through the other Rising Bridge as a non combat way to reach the Loyalist Encampment.

Tuldaric is in the north corner of Complex Core. Not that useful unless you are Awakened. But there is plenty of loot in the zone to pick up for money.

Experimental Chambers is mostly doable at that level and has some other nice items.

Cure for the Serviles quest is long off in Taker Lands so don't think about it.

Thank you for posting. I appreciate your tips. I'm playing the original G2 on tricky. It doesn't have essence mastery.

I think I'll revisit some of the places I may have missed. Hopefully, I won't have to start over. I've been augmenting myself. My party consists of a thahd, vlish, roamer, and two searing artilas. I'm not sure if I can train again in create thahd because I got it as a reward in the starting area for finding the smart servile.

2 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Sorry, I didn't see it was original. You do want to level up creation strength since that does damage and to hit chance.

And remember there is a bug or something, that items that give Creation Strength don't work, as far as I remember. 

That said... I strongly recommend to switch to GF2-Infestation. It is a great improvement. 

Edited by alhoon

Ah... if it's original G2, then creation level truly trumps everything else in the game.  Literally everything.  If you've been re-making your artilas all through the game, anything you can do to boost your Magic Shaping skill, just re-make them and that should help a lot.  (If they've been gaining levels with you, ignore that, it won't help at this point.)

Are you supporting your creations with spells?  Buffing spells make a huge difference, and mental magic can be effective too, even as a Shaper.

45 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Sorry, I didn't see it was original. You do want to level up creation strength since that does damage and to hit chance.

Do you know if there are any create thahd canisters? I just checked to see if I could buy another level and couldn't. I'll be disappointed if I can't reach level 3.

43 minutes ago, alhoon said:

And remember there is a bug or something, that items that give Creation Strength don't work, as far as I remember. 

That said... I strongly recommend to switch to GF2-Infestation. It is a great improvement. 

Does that apply to all rings and equipment that boost creation stats, or just strength? I had the Projection Band and now I'm wearing the Ring of the Eye for mind effect resistance. If it doesn't work, I'll switch to Sharon's Bracelet.

I'm waiting for payday next week to get G2: Infestation. 🙂

24 minutes ago, Slawbug said:

Ah... if it's original G2, then creation level truly trumps everything else in the game.  Literally everything.  If you've been re-making your artilas all through the game, anything you can do to boost your Magic Shaping skill, just re-make them and that should help a lot.  (If they've been gaining levels with you, ignore that, it won't help at this point.)

Are you supporting your creations with spells?  Buffing spells make a huge difference, and mental magic can be effective too, even as a Shaper.

Yes, I use war blessing/protection and all of the spores and crystals I have available. My creations miss quite a bit anyway, which is frustrating. I keep getting to the 5th ghost in the Stinking Marsh and having to reload because even the searing artilas can't hit it. Should I level up their dexterity or strength?

Have you kept these artilas with you all game long, so they've been gaining XP and levels?  Or have you been re-making them when they die?  This is a huge distinction in OG2, so it's an important question.

Also, War Blessing and Protection are great but Speed is far more important.

1 minute ago, Slawbug said:

Have you kept these artilas with you all game long, so they've been gaining XP and levels?  Or have you been re-making them when they die?  This is a huge distinction in G2, so it's an important question.

Also, War Blessing and Protection are great but Speed is far more important.

I forgot to say that I'm creating them as I level my magic shaping. I'm about to level up to 20, so I'll increase it then. One of my searing artilas is level 21 and the other one is level 20.

I'll keep buying speed spores. Thank you!

That's too bad. I've consulted his walkthroughs many times, but I come here when I start feeling frustrated. 🙂

Does this game have crafting? I noticed there's an anvil in the remake.

Also, does anyone besides the starting alchemist need herbs? I finished her quest and I've been saving a sprig of wiry moss just in case. If anyone can tell me who buys research notes, I'd appreciate it.

There is crafting, but you have to bring certain items to certain characters. As for the notes, there is a character in Barzahl's shaping halls who will take them.  Be warned that if you go in there without being a Barzite and get spotted, Barzahl and his followers turn hostile permanently

Edited by Superdeath25
misspelling